Make grouped faders follow automation

Light Grenade

It would be good if fader groups followed automation lines.

For example, I create makeshift 'VCA Faders' and group a bunch of instruments to that fader. An example would be a Snare VCA and this gets my snare submix, snare verbs and snare parallel compression. I then tweak overall snare volumes with this fader.

However, if I automate this fader, only that fader follows automation, the grouped faders don't. I then have to automate every channel individually, making the groups somewhat pointless. 

Video attached showing normal fader movement vs automation. 

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Light Grenade said:

However, if I automate this fader, only that fader follows automation, the grouped faders don't. I then have to automate every channel individually, making the groups somewhat pointless. 

For now create a group for the Automation buttons to match the fader group.

It's certainly easier to use the fader for group edits but it is possible to lasso nodes across tracks and edit them all at once too.

Here is another way using remote control, MIDI tracks and a virtual MIDI cable to control automation. This video shows:

• Track 1 through 3 with volume faders setup using remote control listening to MIDI channel 1 CC7 from MIDI track 7
  • Track 4 through 6 have volume faders setup using remote control listening to MIDI channel 2 CC7 from MIDI track 8
  • The MIDI tracks are sending their output to LoopBe1.
  • After recording CC7 automation on both MIDI tracks, the CC data is edited affecting the volume on both groups of audio tracks.

eXDqyRp.gif

• Like 2

One more option available today for volume control is the free Blue Cat Gain Suite part of the Blue Cat's Freeware Plug-ins Pack II

main_medium.png

These plug-ins have 9 built in groups.

Drop one of the plug-in in the FX rack or PC, set the Group A through I and all the BC gain plug-ins in the same group are linked together.

Automate one, and all the others in the group follow the automation.

On 5/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, scook said:

Here is another way using remote control, MIDI tracks and a virtual MIDI cable to control automation.

This is similar to how I've been doing it. One of you guys much smarter than me suggested this method on the old forum (probably you or Anderton). Except that I use the Control Group function and only set up the remote control on one of the grouped tracks. The midi track behaves like an automated VCA but the offsets available in Control Groups still work.

Edited by Base 57
Fixed the nomenclature.
  • Like 1

I have always done this by sending multiple tracks to a single bus and then adding bus output volume envelope to that bus then I automate that volume output.

I really like the Blue Cat Gain grouping app! 

11 hours ago, RexRed said:

I have always done this by sending multiple tracks to a single bus and then adding bus output volume envelope to that bus then I automate that volume output.

I really like the Blue Cat Gain grouping app! 

That is an option for sure, but I like to send my channels and FX returns to different places, so putting them in the same place doesn't work for me unfortunately. Grouping the write buttons works for now, but hopefully having the groups follow automation can be added in the future. 

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1

Woah. This is going to be a lot of graphic and cpu resources for those with limited systems. Imagine having 32 vocal takes on the chorus and that happens. 😣 with other tracks that has been grouped and automated. 

It would be awesome for us that are sorted with 32GB memory, 8GB graphic cards and i7-6th gen and up. 

What a strange way og thinking. I use old or more or less week computers (my most powerful is a Core i with 8 Go RAM) and I use a large amount of automations without problem.

There are certainly things I I can't do now but some with more powerful computer can, but I'll never think about denying a feature that other people could use and not me.

I vote for this feature. When a group is done, it's to have all it's members moved together, whether one is moved by mouse, controller or automation lane.