How do I get classic General MIDI synth sounds?

Dave G

16 hours ago, msmcleod said:

used to think that, until I realised that the only reason more modern sample-based synths sound good is because of the FX units built into them, and

Exactly.  Like the Roland MT32 mentioned above. It had the worst reverb in the world built in and that’s why Jeff Kofftinoff I mentioned designed the editor. It only helped a little bit so I bought the Korg 05/RW. It has real good effects. This was the era when you paid $1,500 - $4,000 for these modules or keyboards and 2 years later they were outdated.  
Speaking of which. A keyboard player friend just gave me her Roland MK-B200 controller and a Sound Canvas.  Real dirty and covered with labels on the keyboard for all the GM drum sounds.  The Sound Canvas is in perfect condition and came with the manual. 
Do I really need it?  No, but I’m a sucker for Hardware 

Edited by Cactus Music

44 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Exactly.  Like the Roland MT32 mentioned above. It had the worst reverb in the world built in and that’s why Jeff Kofftinoff I mentioned designed the editor. It only helped a little bit so I bought the Korg 05/RW. It has real good effects. This was the era when you paid $1,500 - $4,000 for these modules or keyboards and 2 years later they were outdated.  
Speaking of which. A keyboard player friend just gave me her Roland MK-B200 controller and a Sound Canvas.  Real dirty and covered with labels on the keyboard for all the GM drum sounds.  The Sound Canvas is in perfect condition and came with the manual. 
Do I really need it?  No, but I’m a sucker for Hardware 

Ah... the MT-32...  I released an album back in '94 where over half the sounds were from an MT-32.  The other half were from a CM-32P (the desktop version of the U110).

I ended up writing my own MT-32 patch editor for the Amiga 500.  I've sampled most of the MT-32 sounds I used, and still use some of them today.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, MarcelloSax64 said:

Do you know if there is an AAX  Plug in (like Roland Sound Canvas) for Pro Tools ? Thanx a lot

Not exactly a Sound Canvas, but the KORG Collection Triton has GM sound banks, as well as the factory banks and expansions of the original Triton. The "Combi" mode is 8-part multitimbral.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/kc_triton/

https://www.korg.com/us/products/software/korg_collection/specifications.php

Plug-ins (Demo available😞

• VST, VST3, AAX (Supported 64bit plug-ins only)

Win/Mac ProTools 2022 compatibility.