Fix the strips in Console View.

AdK Studios

In the first image,

1 = Audio Track
2 = 3 = Instrument track
4 = MIDI track.

Only track 4 does not give audio out. So, we don't need to see it in the console view. But on unchecking MIDI from the strips, the instrument tracks also disappear. It actually looks like MIDI and instrument tracks are treated as the same thing.

Please fix this.

Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpgUntitled-3.jpg

Edited by AdK Studios
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I'm in agreement with you: what is the "Instrument Tracks" selection on there for if you can't have it checked, uncheck the other two types, and still have Instrument Track strips showing? Mostly, I don't need MIDI strips in the Console. I use the Console for mixing, and any fancy MIDI stuff, I open the Inspector and do it there. I no longer use Simple Instrument Tracks, but if I did, I'd feel kinda frustrated that I couldn't use that menu to get only my Audio and Synth/Instrument strips to show up, the strips I actually use for mixing.

I brought this up years ago and it was explained to me that since "Instrument Tracks" (not "Synth Tracks") are a combination of a MIDI track and a Synth track, hiding MIDI tracks must hide Instrument Tracks.

At this point, I still think at least the nomenclature should be changed to reflect what the selections actually do: "Instrument" should be "Synth." So the user will at least be able to understand what these checkmarks do.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I brought this up years ago and it was explained to me that since "Instrument Tracks" (not "Synth Tracks") are a combination of a MIDI track and a Synth track, hiding MIDI tracks must hide Instrument Tracks.

This is hilariously frustrating, or frustratingly hilarious ! LOL
In that case, why should there be two options saying 'MIDI' and 'Instrument'.!

I just wish they fix this before I start doing 'The Console View' video.

Edited by AdK Studios
  • Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 3:04 AM, AdK Studios said:

In the first image . . . 4 = MIDI track . . . .

Only track 4 does not give audio out. So, we don't need to see it in the console view.

Some people might use it.  I agree as was discussed in another thread there should be an OPTION not to show MIDI tracks, but for some users not having the ability to show MIDI tracks in the console would be problem.

Edited by User 905133
to add a link to "another thread" where a related discussion takes place
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Some people might use it.  I agree as was discussed in another thread there should be an OPTION not to show MIDI tracks, but for some users not having the ability to show MIDI tracks in the console would be problem.

That is exactly why it is an option. But its not usable. May I ask, why would a MIDI track be relevant during mixing?

For me, audio tracks, instrument tracks & synth audio tracks are the only strips I would want to see in the console while I sit to Mix (strictly mixing, & nothing else). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdK Studios said:

May I ask, why would a MIDI track be relevant during mixing?

To mix the levels of the tracks.

ADDENDUM:  If you only have one MIDI track, you probably don't need to adjust the level.  But let's say you have more than one midi track, you can adjust the level of each track in the console. Hope that makes sense to you. 

Here's something I was listening to earlier, so it was handy.  Multiple MIDI tracks mixed into one soft synth. Also works for hardware synths.  There are other uses but I think these cases are the easiest to help answer your question.

image.thumb.png.d29eed104684c4bb522659f6540a1729.png

PS: Perhaps I should add that in addition to setting relative levels the other mixing/console features also work on MIDI tracks (mute, solo, pan, etc.). 

Edited by User 905133
(2) To add a PS; (1) To add an addendum
  • Haha 1

Seems like a bug here. Selecting only MIDI should display MIDI tracks, but nothing is displayed while selecting only Audio displays both Audio and Soft Synth tracks.

Instrument tracks are a combo of MIDI and soft synth tracks. Not sure how you'd separate them for this.

A 4th option for Soft Synth tracks maybe??

• Like 1

Midi tracks are displayed so you can use the console GUI to read and write automation - just like Audio tracks. The need for many is pretty basic - but I agree that it would be a good option for the case with multiple synth instrument outputs. I use Battery which -  when inserted adds 16 stereo outputs plus auxs. It's just a lot of clutter when I use maybe 5-6 of the outputs - as  with Kontakt and multiple outputs when I want to use a just a single stereo output. This is dictated by the synth and not Cakewalk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

Seems like a bug here. Selecting only MIDI should display MIDI tracks, but nothing is displayed while selecting only Audio displays both Audio and Soft Synth tracks.

Instrument tracks are a combo of MIDI and soft synth tracks. Not sure how you'd separate them for this.

A 4th option for Soft Synth tracks maybe??

See also this discussion. I agree that it would be handy if the MIDI display filter showed all MIDI strips and likewise that it would be handy to be able to show only the audio portion of hybrid audio+midi tracks.  I disagree with the original statement in this thread that  [Since Track 4, a MIDI track] . . . does not give audio out. . . . . "we don't need to see it in the console view." 

If the 4th option can be implemented, that sounds like it would add flexibility for all users.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

As of the 2021.06 release:

• "Instrument" will only refer to instrument tracks (i.e. linked audio & midi tracks such as Simple Instrument or Per-Output Instrument tracks );
  • "MIDI" will refer to any MIDI track hardware or software;
  • "Audio" will refer to any audio track.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, AdK Studios said:

@msmcleod
Thank you so much. Thanks to you and all the developers...! :)

Agreed!!! And thanks to you and others for calling attention to this!  

I just tested it (I'm using the Early Access Release) and it works!!!  I have some Workspaces with a full screen Console on a second monitor and can easily imagine tweaking a Workspace (making variants) to easily switch strip display configurations (assuming the preferences get saved and restored).

Edited by User 905133
the --> a
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1