Dorian Crush

David Sprouse

Great jazzy feel to this song!  I tend to agree with the comments above about the drums.  Perhaps some nice brushes substituted??  I didn't notice any sloppy but if there were it only added to intimacy of the song (IMHO).  Very nice work indeed !

Nice David . . . really like the jazz guitar motif throughout . . . and it feels just like a jazz combo with different guest stars popping up on stage. I hear what others hear, the kick drum is electronic, and random time, doesn't seem to support the band, maybe he had a bad night, broke up with the girlfriend. A nice acoustic sounding kick may help. Isn't this kind of jazz supposed to be sloppy ? Overall, it definitely has a sense of putting you there inside the scene of the moment.

On 5/31/2021 at 5:21 AM, Jesse Screed said:

nice free form, you are always presenting interesting music, and I don't care about the sloppy.

I do believe it would be better if you told the drummer to sit this one out😀

On 5/31/2021 at 7:15 AM, mark skinner said:

Hey David , I thought the chord voicings were Superb with very nice tones. I too think it could stand on its own without the drums although the cymbals were nice. Nice structure and very interesting .     Enjoyed the listen ..  mark

On 5/31/2021 at 8:42 AM, freddy j said:

Great jazzy feel to this song!  I tend to agree with the comments above about the drums.  Perhaps some nice brushes substituted??  I didn't notice any sloppy but if there were it only added to intimacy of the song (IMHO).  Very nice work indeed !

On 5/31/2021 at 7:45 PM, noynekker said:

Nice David . . . really like the jazz guitar motif throughout . . . and it feels just like a jazz combo with different guest stars popping up on stage. I hear what others hear, the kick drum is electronic, and random time, doesn't seem to support the band, maybe he had a bad night, broke up with the girlfriend. A nice acoustic sounding kick may help. Isn't this kind of jazz supposed to be sloppy ? Overall, it definitely has a sense of putting you there inside the scene of the moment.

On 6/1/2021 at 4:39 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

That was cool David - I enjoyed the listen.  I especially liked the flute - it gave a 60s sort of vibe to it. Nicely done.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:54 AM, bjornpdx said:

Dorian mode?
Sounds like a promising intro about to develop. Tempo could be increased.
Nice one.
-Bjorn

dorian as in narcissistic indulgences. :D:D  Thank you all for the great reviews!

You have a good one here! It's a composition and an arrangement that sounds like something that could endure.

If it were my arrangement, I'd lose the drums and the flute. When the flute goes into its "auto tremolo" sustain, it blows up the organic nature of those sweet guitar chords. Some other lead instrument might be an interesting experiment?

You know what you are doing . . . just my .02 and I think you definitely have something here to tinker and tighten. Very cool.

cheers,

-Tom