Precious Time

RexRed

So my usual comment, the drums sound really weak like an after thought. I think they would sound better either louder or not there at all. I would replace the opening organ with a more B3 classic sounding one. It's a nice song, good vocals.

• Like 1

Hey Kurt,

Luckily for me this song has not been placed into a music video yet so I have time to apply your suggestions.

I will switch the organ in the beginning to something more standard and crank up the drums more. I feel that your suggestions are very well stated and they are also very helpful.

And David, I have never had anyone refer to my voice as having, "gravitas". What a fantastic compliment! I thank you for such a flattering comparison as Elvis and I hope this song does marry a few lovers sometime. 💗🌹🎶👍

Thanks Rex, I think we all need another set of ears to listen.  My wife gives me critique on my stuff and usually I agree, I'm hearing what she said but maybe was in denial that I needed to change it until it is pointed out.

• Like 1

Rex . . . so good . . . I hear this as an old school country song, with a more updated and clearer recording. The glissando organ intro is a bit loud for the rest of the mix. The harmony vocals certainly give it that old school flavour. It's a good AM radio mix, but that FM guy in me wants more low end for those bass and drums, it could add some punch, but that might not be what you're going for.

• Like 1

Okay awesome Cakewalk peeps, this is a new version. The organ is more standard in the beginning and the drums are up more and a lot of other changes.

There is more bass too, I EQ'd the bass so it is flatter and more present.

Added some more harmonies, resung a few lines and fixed a lot of vocal areas.

Final critiques still welcome.

:)

Sounds better, the organ is a big improvement, although I think I would use a leslie off and on for effect. The other keys sound cool. Still not crazy about the drums, I would experiment with some other kits, I think the bass and drums are better bit still low in volume. Nice track you're getting it polished.

• Like 1

Hey awesome Cakewalk peeps!

I have made a lot of changes with the song starting with a new Leslie organ. The Leslie organ is a retro organ, I bought these organs about a week ago when they were on sale.

https://www.uvi.net/en/pianos-keyboards/retro-organ-suite.html

The organ is not prefect yet but it sounds more like what would be expected with this type of song.

Thanks for the suggestions they were very helpful! 

I switched the drums from Addictive Drums to Native Instruments 60s drums. I also placed each drum beat in its own track so I could adjust them individually. The drums are coming through the mix better, they may not be perfect but they now sound improved and not like they are just, "muffled".

I changed the underlying pad of the song to something more transparent and with less sawtooth character. I think it is an improvement for the song with less banding. 

I  also changed the bass to a the Beatles bass from, Come Together. It has a warmer lower end, I hope it translates well in the song.

http://www.soundsonline.com/fab-four 

Let me know your thoughts :)

Best!

I just uploaded version 13 of this song a few minutes ago, I added a bit of flange and width to the snare to cut down on the crunch.

This song has been rebuilt nearly from the ground up about 6 times, it's had multiple tracks changed and the vocals scrutinized.

I think it is finished.

I faded the organ in in the intro because, it was too stark just starting out a bit jarring. (which is often the case with intro leads) 

I've been working on this song for two weeks, I have also been testing out new synths and effects so it has been a learning time too.

Had issues with my sound but fixed that. This song has a very silent quality to it and even the tiniest little peck stands out as if it was a brass horn blasting.

Cakewalk's sound engine really shines in this piece. 

I am so enamored by Cakewalk's performance. This mp3 was exported from a 24bit 96khz master.

This is also the first song I have finally figured out how to keep my LUFS at -14db 

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions on this song Cakewalk peeps!

Edited by RexRed

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm getting in at the end of the mix cycle - the bass guitar is perfect I think, just a good country solid down there. I agree, in the non vocal sections, punch the drums up, maybe add a bit more room to the drums?

Your vocals are a crooner with gravitas who doesn't oversing. That's a winner.

I like how the acoustic guitar fades in at that one part towards the end!

I'd also agree with dropping the drums out completely, except for the chorus. And, since I'm throwing unasked-for ideas out there just for the heck of it, the twinkly synth arpeggio might be tried as a straight piano?

The organ is such great glue, well done there.

cheers, and thanks for this post, great listen!

-Tom

• 5 weeks later...

What a beautiful song.  Your vocal is spot on.  Love the delicate touch with the organ, it would have been very easy for it to overpower the vocal but it is perfect in the mix.

Your singing reminds me of Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues.

• Like 1