Monkees cover

jmasno5

jmasno5 . . . can't say I've ever heard a Monkees tribute here on the CakeSongs forum, but you've done a great new clean recording of it here. Very nostalgic for those of us here who remember those days. (Might be a few still here) Surprised it was co-written by Peter Tork, as most of their big hits were written by other prominent writers from that era. Anyways, thanks for the blast from the past . . . I like your version a lot (though, want to hear the back up vocals pumped a bit more) . . . and yes, enjoyed the 2:29 of it, back then you really had to get to the point right away !

• Like 1

I always liked the Monkees music and grew up in that era , but I really don't remember that one , but I enjoyed it. As far as Rain , I had forgotten how complex the vocals were on the chorus. I think you did an  "incredible" job capturing it. Extremely well done in every aspect.    mark

• Like 1

The much maligned Monkees did put out some good songs.  I also remember this song.  Excellent job on this.  Great playing on this and I love the clear, clean sound of those guitars.  I agree with Jesse above, your vocals are very good and could come forward a bit.  Good mix -- well done!

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 7:10 AM, jerrydf said:

Great three tracks.  Real punchy production, nice work.  Do you do any Nesmith stuff?

jdf

JDF, Thank you.  Yes, along time ago when I first started using a Sonar and in order to learn how to use it I recorded a Mike Nesmith tune "You Told Me."  I would like to do "You May Just Be The One" too someday.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:18 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Nice tight, clean clear presentation. Love the guitar work.  Did you play all the instruments?

I believe the vocals could be turned up just a bit.

I listened to rain also.  You are very talented at what you do.  super duper

Thanks, Jesse! 

Yes on the instruments.  This was a rare time I actually played the drums using a lesser Roland V-Drums kit.  I played the straight beat and then overdubbed the fills.  Usually, I use midi drum patterns and edit the notes like everyone but it was an easy beat to cop.  I did the same with my cover of "Rain" too.

2 hours ago, jmasno5 said:

Thanks, Jesse! 

Yes on the instruments.  This was a rare time I actually played the drums using a lesser Roland V-Drums kit.  I played the straight beat and then overdubbed the fills.  Usually, I use midi drum patterns and edit the notes like everyone but it was an easy beat to cop.  I did the same with my cover of "Rain" too.

I didn't take the time to look closer, but do you have links for originals?

I suppose I'm lazy and could go to your soundcloud page..........

Paperback Writer and the "B" side Rain, is actually a single I purchased.
Never owned any Monkees records (needless to say). Always a big fan of
Last Train to Clarksville though. "It was Shelton who created the lead-in section on the spot"
(that's the part I love) and Boyce should have given him some writing credit on the tune.
Knew Nesmith wrote the Stone Ponies hit Different Drum.
Didn't realize anything written by Nesmith, York, et al ever made vinyl.

👍's to both your covers.

Guess I should of lead off with that; huh?

t

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wookiee said:

That was bit of fun blast back to those saturday morning TV Monkee's shows.

Thanks.  You must be young Wookie.  "Saturday morning!"  I remember when they were prime-time.   I was in the single digits but remember it was "groovy!"  😁  I still remember when my older brother brought home their first album.  I played the crap out of in on my parents big Hi-Fi piece of furniture.  You lifted the lid to play a record.  It was as big as the console TV.

• Haha 1