Status Headphones on sale $55

mibby

7 minutes ago, sarine said:

Let's all throw thousands of dollars at plugins and then buy cheap headphones because they were cheap.

Occasionally you're lucky to find decent quality at a good price. That's different than "cheap"...   😉  

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Michael, Ed, I'm curious how these compare to industry fave headphones like ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD280, Superlux 681, etc. If you have experience with those. I'm big on detail and soundstage. The M50's are the best I've heard at that. I also have the same $10 Sony cans that Paolo uses, surprisingly not bad for a dime if you want some lightweight on-ears.

If you get the impression I'm a headphone 'ho, that's....not inaccurate. All the way back to many hours spent with The Moody Blues in my teens.

P.S. If I'm ever called upon to come up with a brand name for a line of cymbals, "Status" is my first choice.

4 hours ago, mibby said:

Occasionally you're lucky to find decent quality at a good price. That's different than "cheap"...   😉  

I think my AKG K702 are "decent" (as in not bad, albeit not good either)... Are these $44 on par with those?

I bought them like, I don't know, 15 years ago. I've dropped them on the floor, tripped on the cable a hundred times, until one channel went out and I got a new pair of Philips Fidelio X2 to replace them. Used those for two years or so, but only because I was too lazy to fix the AKG's which were clearly superior. So I eventually got around to fixing them, destroying the casing in the process because I was too lazy(TM) to look at disassembly instructions, with bare wires and solder exposed on the side, with the headband broken at every joint, rubberband stretched out... The padding on the headband was so uncomfortable that I had to tape a sock around it to increase comfort to human levels. The ear cushions are so worn out I'm sure it negatively affects the acoustics, so replacing them is years and years overdue, and still can't be arsed you-know-why. I must say everything except the sound and mini-XLR plug sucks about these headphones. The build quality is absolutely terrible.

But I would never swap them for an inferior sounding pair, no matter how "good of a deal" it was. I'm just a bit baffled that on a forum like this you would find one person on the hunt for a pair of [less than] "decent" headphones. Or maybe these are a sleeper and I just don't know.

This is a music related deals forum, and this post is about a (~66% off) deal on a pair of headphones. There isn't a minimum quality or standard that a product needs to be for a deal on it to be posted. Maybe the headphones are good; maybe they're not that good. This is a public forum open to everyone including those new to music production, those who might not have much gear at all, and those that don't have vast amounts of money to spend on their gear. As with all deals, everyone is able to choose whether to take advantage of the deal, or to let it pass. Just because a product may (or may not) be inferior to some gear that you already own, it doesn't mean that a deal on it doesn't deserve to be posted here.

• Like 1

FWIW, I've used Sennheiser HD280 for years, but they're falling apart so bought these Status 'phones during that last sale.   Personally (isn't it always?) I found them to be a very suitable replacement at a great price.    And they're comfortable, with a detachable straight cable that I find more convenient.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sarine said:

I think my AKG K702 are "decent" (as in not bad, albeit not good either)... Are these $44 on par with those?

I bought them like, I don't know, 15 years ago. I've dropped them on the floor, tripped on the cable a hundred times, until one channel went out and I got a new pair of Philips Fidelio X2 to replace them. Used those for two years or so, but only because I was too lazy to fix the AKG's which were clearly superior. So I eventually got around to fixing them, destroying the casing in the process because I was too lazy(TM) to look at disassembly instructions, with bare wires and solder exposed on the side, with the headband broken at every joint, rubberband stretched out... The padding on the headband was so uncomfortable that I had to tape a sock around it to increase comfort to human levels. The ear cushions are so worn out I'm sure it negatively affects the acoustics, so replacing them is years and years overdue, and still can't be arsed you-know-why. I must say everything except the sound and mini-XLR plug sucks about these headphones. The build quality is absolutely terrible.

But I would never swap them for an inferior sounding pair, no matter how "good of a deal" it was. I'm just a bit baffled that on a forum like this you would find one person on the hunt for a pair of [less than] "decent" headphones. Or maybe these are a sleeper and I just don't know.

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Michael, Ed, I'm curious how these compare to industry fave headphones like ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD280, Superlux 681, etc. If you have experience with those. I'm big on detail and soundstage. The M50's are the best I've heard at that. I also have the same $10 Sony cans that Paolo uses, surprisingly not bad for a dime if you

8 hours ago, Mesh said:

My dilemma is whether to get these or not....I'm very happy with my ATH-M50X and I only have 2 ears. 😋

want some lightweight on-ears.

If you get the impression I'm a headphone 'ho, that's....not inaccurate. All the way back to many hours spent with The Moody Blues in my teens.

P.S. If I'm ever called upon to come up with a brand name for a line of cymbals, "Status" is my first choice.

I bought these on the first sale.  I needed another set to leave at a different location so as not to have to haul so much stuff around.  I think I paid $29.00 for them.  Maybe less, I don't remember for sure and I'm to lazy to care.

My opinion of them has not changed from the original thread.  I have copied and pasted below.

I received my package this morning.

The price is definitely right.

I need another pair for an alternate studio.

I have a V.1 AKG 271 set as my go to cans for studio 1.

To compare them is futile.

The differences between the two are  glaring.

They are not without merit though.

Be forewarned that you will need to audition reference material to assess the sonic realm.

I am happy to have them, but they are as different form the AKG 271 as waffles are to pancakes.

(the box they ship in is worth $5 or more, if you like to reuse to present gifts in a fashionable manner.)

I do not use "referencing software", just my ears.

They can be good, if you know what they are presenting.

So there's that.