Beatles remasters.

Shane_B.

Wasn't Rubber Soul done on eight track? That would have been a beast to remaster because of all the bouncing they would have done.

and once it was put together that was it..

23 hours ago, pbognar said:

Abbey Road package

I have that as well, love it..

On 5/30/2021 at 2:44 PM, Jesse Screed said:

Let it Be Naked

Let It Be Naked is killer...

George Martin said the Let It Be credits should have read "Over produced by Phil Specter"

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know to give these a wide berth.

I accidentally purchased the Yellow Submarine thing that came out about 20 years ago when the movie was re-released, thinking that I would be treated to a version of the first rock record I owned but with fewer scratches and crackles. What an abomination. I gave it away because I didn't want it in the house. That record was such a mind-bender that I made it through my teen years without touching drugs (I say my teen years, because I....um, later learned exactly what could have inspired them to create things like "Only A Northern Song").

The wonderful little guitar licks and sounds in those "Beatles at their most psychedelic" songs like "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" were almost inaudible, and for heaven's sake, part of the weird charm is the hard panning. Lennon's lead vocal on "Bulldog," with the verses hard right, morphing to stereo on the choruses and fadeout.

Martin's stereo mixes get a lot of flak, some of it....deserved, but listen to "It's All Too Much" and tell me that it's not a great mix.

To me, heavy-handed remasters are like those lenticular 3-D versions of The Last Supper. It's a DaVinci masterpiece, the height of its time and for all time. You are not going to improve upon it with your brickwall limiter and multiband compressor.

13 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

You are not going to improve upon it with your brickwall limiter and multiband compressor.

I dunno, I have quite a plethora of those. Can I give it a go?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

An article comparing the 1987 Stereo remasters, the 2009 stereo remasters, and the 2009 mono remasters.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/13425-stereo-box-in-mono/

"These CD versions are definitely louder across the board, but there's still plenty of breathing room, so that the dynamic sound-- and these records were nothing if not dynamic-- hits the way they should. Interestingly, the mono mixes are uniformly a bit quieter than the stereo mixes, tending to fall somewhere between the original stereo master and the new one. To get geeky here for a moment, a few diagrams, so that you can see the increases in volume with the new set."

1825626769_beatles1.JPG.04cbbd19cf42dbaa2b39efba0cc27038.JPG

1198213372_beatles2.JPG.0d2967e837a709266918e6075f06cdee.JPG1309909879_beatles3.JPG.751589b65020aff15a8f609c8af01d95.JPG