Closer

Douglas Kirby

Hi Forum Folks,

This is a new track for the album I'm currently working on called "The Westerly Sessions Volume VIII".  On this tune I sang the lead and backing vocals with a Sennheiser MK4 mic through a Warm Audio ToneBeast preamp. The acoustic guitar is a Guild OM-140 through a Studio Projects B1 mic through an ART MPA Gold preamp. The lead guitar is a Fender Strat using TH-U. I used the Waves Abbey Road Plates on the lead vocal.  I used Overloud's REMatrix and Breverb on everything else.  

As always, any comments and critiques are welcome, and thanks for listening.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14256692

Hi Douglas . . . very cool and rockin' tune here. You always record with such intensity, and the mixes sound very good to my ears, though, the program level is driven somewhat higher than other projects I listen to online, I usually have to tweak it down a bit.  For such a hard driving song, it's got that smooth analog sound to it, no hard digital edges, I'm sure that's something to do with the equipment you've listed. Your guitar playing is top shelf in this one !

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:57 PM, noynekker said:

Hi Douglas . . . very cool and rockin' tune here. You always record with such intensity, and the mixes sound very good to my ears, though, the program level is driven somewhat higher than other projects I listen to online, I usually have to tweak it down a bit.  For such a hard driving song, it's got that smooth analog sound to it, no hard digital edges, I'm sure that's something to do with the equipment you've listed. Your guitar playing is top shelf in this one !

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate it.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:00 AM, mark skinner said:

Very nice playing. I really liked the build up in the beginning and the overall mix. I thought some of the vocal doubling gave it a little Ozzy feel. I also liked the way the chorus punched. Great job.    mark

Ozzy - that's cool - thanks for giving my song a listen.

On 5/30/2021 at 3:24 PM, bjornpdx said:

Doug, can you come over and show me how to play the guitar? Thanks.
Another well produced and arranged song. Very professional. I enjoyed listening to it.
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn - I only know how to play - not sure if I would be a good teacher😄 Thanks for giving my song a listen and I"m glad you liked it.

On 6/1/2021 at 4:24 AM, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi Douglas,

Another gritty rocker with a spartan vocal which matches the track perfectly.

Love the vocal and guitar part in the 2nd verse nice question and answer section + great guitar solo.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul 

Hey guys - thanks for listening and commenting.