No Audio With Steinberg UR22 MkII Audio Interface

Jman Stan

Hey guys,

I went to a local Guitar Shop and bought a Steinberg UR 22 Mk II Audio Interface so that I could record my electric guitar with that and not the supposedly much less reliable USB guitar cable.

So, it looks like the device is recognized and the drivers installed on their own. I still don't hear any audio, though, even with input monitoring enabled. I have the device in the Left channel on the Line In/Out tab.

What gives? Any help is appreciated.

The driver should not install on it’s own. That’s a generic driver. Go to your products support page and download the drivers from there. 
Then make Sure to follow the instructions 

once installed check in windows sound and make sure it is now the default device. You can click on the speaker icon in the lower right screen. 
Then open Cakewalk and preferences Audio and choose ASIO mode

Then go to devices tab and make sure all the Stienberg boxes are checked and apply. 
Check the master buss is output to the jacks your speakers / monitor system are plugged into. 

Edited by John Vere

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

The driver should not install on it’s own. That’s a generic driver. Go to your products support page and download the drivers from there. 
Then make Sure to follow the instructions 

once installed check in windows sound and make sure it is now the default device. You can click on the speaker icon in the lower right screen. 
Then open Cakewalk and preferences Audio and choose ASIO mode

Then go to devices tab and make sure all the Stienberg boxes are checked and apply. 
Check the master buss is output to the jacks your speakers / monitor system are plugged into. 

Okay, so everything is fine except that AZIO is the only thing that is checked in the Devices tab. I can ee my interface but cannot select it.

Could you post a screenshot of these 4 things.

1. Preferences /Audio/Devices

2. Preferences/Audio/ Driver settings

3. Preferences/Audio/ Playback and Recording 

4. Preferences/Audio/ Sync and Caching

If your not sure how to post screens shots. Use the Windows key and the PrtScn key and this will save the screenshot to your Pictures folderin a folder marked screenshots. Just drag and drop them to the Drag files here at the bottom,  it will turn blue.  

2 hours ago, scook said:

You should not have ASIO4All installed on a machine that also has a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver. 

It can conflict with the manufacturer supplied ASIO driver.

Uninstall ASIO4All.

I uninstalled ASIO4All. Absolutely no change whatseover. In fact, I am now receiving a message saying something like 'a silent bus is in use' and it says the Master bus is silent.

Just now, scook said:

If ASIO4All is gone, it should be possible to select the Yamaha ASIO driver in Preferences > Audio > Devices as long as Preferences > Audio > Playback and Recording "Driver Mode" is set to ASIO.

Yeah I have it selected. It won't apply; I get the 'silent buses detected' message.

Update: I got the 'silent buses detected' message to go away after rebooting the program, and I am now able to put the Steinberg in the Master. I have it active in the Left channel and I can see the meters moving. I don't know why, but still no audio. :( Getting to be a real bummer!

If you are trying to monitor the input from the DAW, make sure the input echo button is enabled on the track. It is the button to the right of record.

At this point, you may benefit from some basic videos on how to use the software.

Take a look at the Tutorials section on this forum and search Youtube.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scook said:

If you are trying to monitor the input from the DAW, make sure the input echo button is enabled on the track. It is the button to the right of record.

At this point, you may benefit from some basic videos on how to use the software.

Take a look at the Tutorials section on this forum and search Youtube.

Oh yeah, input monitoring is already enabled. Forgot to mention.

What kind of audio input? Some mics require phantom power.

I would probably start by playing a YouTube vid. Can you hear it in your headphones?

Next play cakewalk with metronome on. This should get a meter bouncing on the metronome and master bus. Can you hear it?

Next, check the input. Is it a mic that requires phantom power?  Can you enable phantom power?

Click the record button as well as the input echo. Any meters bouncing?

For just the guitar, make sure the guitar volume is up. Phantom power not required.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1

So do all the boxes in the Preferences dialogs now show as your Steinberg asio interface including the the Record Latency adjustment? 

Are you using ASIO driver mode. 

When you click on the Windows Speaker icon in the systems tray does it say Steinberg?  

The front of your interface as in the picture below you should have the MIX control in the center and plug some headphones in to check. Do not use input echo or you will hear a delayed signal. Always use your interfaces direct monitoring system via the MIX control to avoid hearing your systems Round trip latency when recording audio tracks. You will use input echo when recording VST instruments only. 

Make sure the Output of your Master bus is set to the Steinberg 1/2 output.  

Your monitors must be plugged into the 1/2 output jacks of your interface. You cannot use on board audio for playback in ASIO mode. If all you have is computer speakers you will have to plug them into the headphone jack of the interface with an adaptor. 

You almost there just a few more steps and you'll be up and running smoothly. The Steinberg is a very good interface with good ASIO drivers. You did download the latest didn't you? Make sure to get the Windows version. Their driver page is kind of weird to get at, took me through 4 pages first.  

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html  

Defiantly watch the tutorials. In my signature is a link to my collection.  

csm_ur22mkII-front-w-xlr-cable_f082a8ed9

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, John Vere said:

So do all the boxes in the Preferences dialogs now show as your Steinberg asio interface including the the Record Latency adjustment? 

Are you using ASIO driver mode. 

When you click on the Windows Speaker icon in the systems tray does it say Steinberg?  

The front of your interface as in the picture below you should have the MIX control in the center and plug some headphones in to check. Do not use input echo or you will hear a delayed signal. Always use your interfaces direct monitoring system via the MIX control to avoid hearing your systems Round trip latency when recording audio tracks. You will use input echo when recording VST instruments only. 

Make sure the Output of your Master bus is set to the Steinberg 1/2 output.  

Your monitors must be plugged into the 1/2 output jacks of your interface. You cannot use on board audio for playback in ASIO mode. If all you have is computer speakers you will have to plug them into the headphone jack of the interface with an adaptor. 

You almost there just a few more steps and you'll be up and running smoothly. The Steinberg is a very good interface with good ASIO drivers. You did download the latest didn't you? Make sure to get the Windows version. Their driver page is kind of weird to get at, took me through 4 pages first.  

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html  

Defiantly watch the tutorials. In my signature is a link to my collection.  

csm_ur22mkII-front-w-xlr-cable_f082a8ed9

The 'no sound' thing is probably the ASIO mode thing, then. I will need to get some adapters. With 'Record Latency Adjustment,' are you talking about the 'Record Timing Master' in Driver Settings? That looks like it's as it should be.

• 8 months later...

This is such BS. The stupid thing should be direct monitoring.  You shouldn't need the input monitoring.  Plus if you have any latency at all it will become painfully apparent using input monitoring.

edit: The interface simply doesn't have the power for the headphones.  It's ridiculous to have to run a head phone amplifier in this situation.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1