Praise for the Run CAL script feature

Please don't ever remove the ability to run CAL scripts over a MIDI track.

It really helped me today with my beloved yet aging Roland A-80 controller that likes to burp CC:65 events while recording.

(and if anyone needs a script to strip out CC# 65 from a track, let me know 🙂 )

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, scook said:

While CAL may be useful, fortunately there are alternate solutions for removing unwanted CCs from MIDI data

I often use the Run CAL script to "Split notes into seperate tracks" on MIDI drum tracks. The split works well, but I then have to go thru several steps to then find out which drum note corresponds to which percussion insrument as the track names are not consistently correct. Most of the issues are with the specialized percussion instruments like claves, cowbells, and latin special types.

As scook has noted in the above reply, I wondered if there also is an "alternate" solution available to change a mixed MIDI drum track into sperate tracks??

• Like 1

I know some like to break out MIDI percussion data into separate tracks.

I stopped doing that a long time ago when soft synths with multiple audio outputs became common.

Instead of breaking out the MIDI data, I prefer using a drum map on a single MIDI track and, if necessary, routing the data to different synths from the drum map.

I suppose one could use clone MIDI tracks and use the MIDI Event Filter to group notes in any  matter they saw fit including replicating the function of "Split notes to tracks".

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, NOLAGuy said:

I wondered if there also is an "alternate" solution available to change a mixed MIDI drum track into sperate tracks??

If there are only few different drum notes I simply click on the keyboard in PRV to select all notes of the same height then in clips pane Shift+drag the selection down onto empty space. This will create a new track you can give a name.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

If there are only few different drum notes I simply click on the keyboard in PRV to select all notes of the same height then in clips pane Shift+drag the selection down onto empty space. This will create a new track you can give a name.

I agree for most basic MIDI drum tracks that come with free MIDI files, the copy/drag would work. The unique persussion notes, especially in latin styles, are the tough ones since you have to scroll across the song in PR view to find which notes are active and then do the same drag process. I support Cakewalk's keeping the Run CAL option available and supported.

• Like 1