Electronic drum kit not showing up in MIDI devices

Kira

Hello all,

I'm completely new to all of this, so forgive me if I seem to know nothing! I own an Alesis Turbo drum kit and I'm attempting to record MIDI input from it in Cakewalk. I searched around on how to do that and I thought I knew how but when I connect the module to my laptop, nothing shows up in the MIDI devices area. Windows makes a noise to say that it has connected, but Cakewalk doesn't recognise anything. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not 100% certain (going by memory here, don't actually have my e-kit connected right now) but I think if you use a MIDI cable to connect your Alesis kit to your audio interface you should be able to set your track input as "All Inputs --> MIDI omni" and that'll accept MIDI notes/commands from just about any MIDI device. I think that's what I did last time I tried this.

MIDI input.jpg

4 hours ago, John Vere said:

You need to install the midi driver for the kit. Go to the web site and download the drivers. 

I've looked, and I can't find any software downloads for my kit. Alesis are saying that you can just plug and play with the kit, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I think that might be the problem. You might want to see if there’s other users that got it to work with Cakewalk. 
 Or see if there’s a forum for Alesis  or just Google “ Does Alesis drum kit work with Cakewalk?”

Cakewalk tends to be fussy about generic drivers. Probably  they work for Mac and other daws but not Cakewalk. 

Try a different USB cable or port 

Edited by John Vere

First make sure the controller is powered on, connected directly to the PC (IOW not using an external hub) before starting CbB.

There are a limited number of things this can be:

• The controller is not sending MIDI data.
  • The connection to the PC is bad.
  • The device is not seen in Windows
  • The device is not setup in CbB.
  • The MIDI driver mode is not set correctly in CbB 

Assuming Windows sees the device, to verify if the PC is receiving MIDI data, install MIDI OX. If it sees the data, this rules out the first two.

If MIDI OX does not receive MIDI data, replace the USB cable.

If it still does not receive MIDI data, the controller is either misconfigured or bad.

• 1 year later...

@Gewa - try the following:

1. First check your driver mode in Preferences->MIDI->Playback and Recording, and set it to MME.  You need to close all projects to be able to change this:

image.png.06c9454d9be114bac516538f2b653ce8.png

2. Make sure the input itself is enabled (i.e. checked) in Preferences->MIDI->Devices.  The example below shows "MIDIFACE 8x8", but in your case check the one that corresponds with your Alesis Turbo:

image.png.1ad272565cebe7b4bc52cf5117771b75.png