Crackle when connecting guitar amp in specific project

alexfish

Started a project, added some guitar, midi drums, etc. Closed cakewalk, when I came back, there is a crackle on all the audio in the project.

This crackle happens whenever the amp devices show up in the device list in preferences, even if unchecked. It happens in all existing projects when they are loaded with the amp added, but doesn't affect a new project with the amp added until it is reloaded. "Turning it off and on again" doesn't help.

The computer doesn't seem overworked from the graphics at the top, and I have tried everything that I could think of, so would love some help with this. Thanks

13 minutes ago, alexfish said:

This crackle happens whenever the amp devices show up in the device list in preferences, even if unchecked

I don't really understand this statement. You could have a terminology problem. Can you describe in more detail your configuration?

What audio interface you are using?

What is the "amp device", what model? Plugin?

Is the crackle always in the same parts of the playback, or random and different each time?

Are you talking about a new audio device being added/plugged into your system? From your description it sounds like you are plugging some kind Amp with USB into your computer? If so, it could be a driver or device conflict even though the device is not being used. What driver mode (WASPI, ASIO) are you using?

image.png.4659d5dba8f0e5a09f9c6fbb54dcd151.png
(Even when these boxes in device preferences are unticked the cracking happens. Only disappears when the boxes do i.e. the amp is unplugged)

Yes, I am plugging the amp (ID:Core 20) via USB directly into my computer. I'm currently using ASIO4ALL as my driver. This has been working fine for me in the past.

The crackle happens throughout playback (moreso at louder sections, none at all when silent)

1 hour ago, alexfish said:

(Even when these boxes in device preferences are unticked the cracking happens. Only disappears when the boxes do i.e. the amp is unplugged)

By device preferences in the above statement, are you referring to ASIO4ALL's Control Panel? 

Also, does it make a difference if you turn the devices you are not using off in ASIO4ALL's Control Panel itself?

When I used to use ASIO4ALL, sometimes turning off I/O ports on a device in the CP solved some ASIO4ALL audio port management issues.  No guarantee, but if you haven't tried it, it might be worth testing (assuming your preferred device doesn't have a manufacturer's device driver).

• Like 1