NI Blocks Base

cclarry

It is a collection of Reaktor Blocks. Blocks were introduced in Reaktor 6. They work like modules in other software modular synths. A block usually performs a single function such as an oscillator, filter or sequencer.

• Like 1

I got an email from NI thanking me for my recent purchase or registration of a new product.  

panic/ What?? I haven't made any recent purchases! /panic

So I thought my account got hacked or something but no, it's this Blocks Base thing that I guess has been placed in my account as a  gift?

They updated Reaktor to 6.3

ADDED Visual representations of the audio in and out terminals on panel, supporting up to 40 ports

CHANGED Text module “view” properties default state

ADDED Min width and height properties for instruments and macros

ADDED New font “Roboto Condensed Light” for the text module

ADDED Global switch from A to B view for all instruments at once in Ensemble mode

IMPROVED Design of the interface in Rack mode. Four new buttons in the header now allow for switching between view states “Compact”, “Ports only” and “Ports and Wires”. Additional toggle switch for “Show Structure”

CHANGED Design of the structure view in Rack mode. Removed breadcrumb navigation and Bookmarks bar. Changed color theme and design of structure view

REMOVED Unnecessary properties in Rack Mode. Properties are now reduced to Midi in and out Settings on the connect tab and the bankchain settings on the function tab

ADDED Coloured wires - eight different colours are available to distinct wires in a patch

FIXED Automation ID issue: when deleting a Block the Automation IDs don’t get auto compressed, but keep their original ID

ADDED Consistency for file and project name in Rack mode

CHANGED Behaviour in case of loading a project with non applicable host chunk. If the Rack file is not loadable due to missing instruments referenced in the file, the host chunk will be preserved to be applicable after fixing installation

REMOVED The option to “minimize” instruments and to switch A/B view via the header in Rack mode

IMPROVED “Extended view” in Maschine & Komplete Kontrol enables panel patching

CHANGED The sample map editor in Rack mode. The sample editor is showing only relevant options / functions, as the sample map editor in Reaktor Player

REMOVED Context menus for panel and structure view in Rack mode

CHANGED Handling of missing instruments. As the Rack format is relying on referenced files, a new error message guides users how to fix issues via Native Access, or the installation of 3rd party content

ADDED "Welcome Screen" on start up

ADDED "Load new Rack” entry to the Preference “On startup”

ADDED Dedicated NEW.nksr Rack file to the Library folder of the application

FIXED Accessibility of presets via the toolbar. This issue occurred specifically with REAKTOR instruments like FORM

FIXED Crashes on Core Structure Navigation

ADDED Context Menu for Device Types "Instrument / FX" to the Rack File Drop Down Menu in Header

6 hours ago, abacab said:

Apologies. Thanks for pointing that out. I misunderstood the NI description. So Base is free and Prime is not, unless you already have Reaktor.

I had a play with the front panel patching last night in Reaktor and decided I prefer hardware as I am already familiar with my Eurorack setup. For me, at least, Reaktor is still a great sound source and my favourite ensemble is Metaphysical Function.

But it is certainly a great introduction to modular sound creation for those who may be interested. 

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I downloaded VCV Rack recently. That is an interesting intro to the modular world!

Apparently so.

I first tried it when it was a stand alone application, but it wouldn't work with my setup for some reason. I think it was a known graphics glitch or something.

By all accounts it is very good and has a lot of "real world" modules to use, especially of the Mutable Instruments variety. And, I guess that because of that, VCV would actually fair better than Reaktor within the Eurorack world. Some peeps use it to flesh out and save patching ideas.

Anyway, if you think VST stuff is bad for GAS... Eurorack is probably the largest, deepest Rabbit Hole you can go down...

29 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

I first tried it when it was a stand alone application

It's apparently still a stand alone app,

"Is VCV Rack available as a VST/AU/AAX plugin for DAWs?

Not at this time. Shortly after Rack 2.0 releases, Rack will also be available as a 64-bit VST2 plugin for around $99. VST3/AU/AAX versions might be released afterwards. All Rack v2 plugins will be compatible with the plugin version of Rack. The primary “standalone” version of Rack v2 will continue to be free/open-source"

https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ.html

"However, VCV Bridge allows audio, MIDI, DAW transport, and DAW clocks to be transferred between Rack and your DAW through the included VST/AU instrument/effect Bridge plugins."

https://vcvrack.com/manual/Bridge.html

Edited by abacab

27 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Anyway, if you think VST stuff is bad for GAS... Eurorack is probably the largest, deepest Rabbit Hole you can go down..

I can only imagine!

Guess that why some folks refer to it as "EuroCrack"!!! xD

At this point, I am still heeding the advice in the getting started guide: https://vcvrack.com/manual/QuickStart.html

"At this point, you are ready to learn the rest of the Fundamental modules to build your own unique patches. I personally recommend that you attempt to push the Fundamental modules to their limits before moving on to other official or third-party plugins. They are more capable than they might appear, and learning how to use them effectively will give you more power and understanding when installing more modules later."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

To clarify this: 

Blocks Base is kind of an intro to Reaktor Blocks. It comes with 24 simple blocks and 30 preset racks. You can see the blocks HERE. It is included free with Komplete Start, so people who have that will see it in Native Access.

Blocks Primes ($99) adds 23 much more sophisticated blocks and 50 preset racks, divided into the categories: Kodiak, West Coast (Buchla-inspired), Boutique (synths of the past), Modern (state-of-the-art), Digilog, and NI All Stars (based on Monark and Rounds, as well as Driver). You can see these blocks  HERE 

Both run in Reaktor Player. Both are included in all versions of Komplete or if you own full Reaktor.
They both synch up with hardware through CV with the Connectivity Module.

In the future, there will be new blocks and racks sold by third parties. These partner blocks can be used by anybody who has Blocks Base.

Edited by Tiger The Frog