Brian Walton

What's new in version 2.4.0?

Content

• New “Common Progressions” Chord Sets
  • New Performances, Bass & Sequences
  • New genre Chord Sets: EDM & Metal
  • 2 new Pluck Sounds

Modulation

• Progression - Add “Maintain Voicing” option to adapt the suggested chords to your progression’s voicing.
  • Neo-Riemannian - Add “Minimise Movement” option.
  • Mediants - Add “Group Voicing” option to prevent jumps in the octave between distant chords.

Commands

• Add new mappable commands to control Scaler with MIDI CC or keyboard shortcut.

Bind

• Add the ability to bind chords to “All” keys instead of “Only White” keys.
  • Add the ability to start the “Bind” area from any note of the keyboard.
  • Add the ability to switch between OCT/ST steps when defining the “Bind” area from the side menu.
  • Add new binding mode “True Scale” to map chords on notes belonging to the selected scale.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sander Verstraten said:

What issues are you having with it?

It loads fine and works fine for as long as I keep the UI open and I am using it. If I switch to something else and then try to go back to it the UI comes up blank. Every time. The only way to get it to display again is to close the project and re-open it, but the same thing will happen the next time the focus is shifted away from the UI. As I'm sure you can imagine, that gets old very quickly and pretty much kills the mood, so I just can't be bothered with it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

It loads fine and works fine for as long as I keep the UI open and I am using it. If I switch to something else and then try to go back to it the UI comes up blank. Every time. The only way to get it to display again is to close the project and re-open it, but the same thing will happen the next time the focus is shifted away from the UI. As I'm sure you can imagine, that gets old very quickly and pretty much kills the mood, so I just can't be bothered with it.

Sounds like something you should post on their forum to try to get customer support on instead of giving up on it.  

It isnt' the most stable VST I've ever used (haven't gotten to test the update yet), but certainly never had problems like that.  I think it is an amazing tool.

49 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

i have yet to get into this. i use Cubase chords pads and logical midi editor mostly for making sense of arranging. does scaler add anything of value that isn't in DAW?

These videos don't include the 2.4 update.

5 hours ago, paulo said:

What host are you using it in? Could be an issue there.

6 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Sounds like something you should post on their forum to try to get customer support on instead of giving up on it.  

I figure that the get out will be that CW isn't on their list of recommended DAWs, so..........

I did ask PIB the question before buying if the lack of CW on the list meant that it wouldn't work or just that it wasn't tested and received no response to that, so I'm not inclined to have too much faith in their support. I shouldn't have bought it really. The demo version  I had wasn't what you'd call stable, but I hoped that the many updates that were made to that initial release would have made it better, but no. It was clearly in a very poor state at release, so given how long they delayed the official release to "get it right" the warning signs were all there really. 

That'll teach me to be an optimist, lol ! 😀

Edited by paulo
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, paulo said:

I figure that the get out will be that CW isn't on their list of recommended DAWs, so..........

I did ask PIB the question before buying if the lack of CW on the list meant that it wouldn't work or just that it wasn't tested and received no response to that, so I'm not inclined to have too much faith in their support. I shouldn't have bought it really. The demo version  I had wasn't what you'd call stable, but I hoped that the many updates that were made to that initial release would have made it better, but no. It was clearly in a very poor state at release, so given how long they delayed the official release to "get it right" the warning signs were all there really. 

That'll teach me to be an optimist, lol ! 😀

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the only DAW I use....and have used production version of Scaler 2 since the day it dropped.    I've seen a few bugs for sure, but as long as I save often, I have no issue using it really.  

This is the forum I'd suggest not PIB

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/c/general/8

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulo said:

I don't lose the whole plug-in in CW, but the Scaler window is "cut off" in my CW.  Same thing in Bitwig.  In my case it is related to using high DPI monitor and Windows scaling set above 100% (it works fine at 100%).  You might try the following, which fixed MY problem in both CW and Bitwig:

1519413152_VSTScalingfix.jpg.861dba3a510c7a26fe6726e09341ad0d.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Cakewalk by Bandlab is the only DAW I use....and have used production version of Scaler 2 since the day it dropped.    I've seen a few bugs for sure, but as long as I save often, I have no issue using it really.  

The update *seems* to have fixed it in as much as it's not doing it in a new quick test project I just set up. I don't remember the names of older projects that I tried it in OTOH but I'll seek them out over the weekend and see if it now behaves itself in those.

13 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

I don't lose the whole plug-in in CW, but the Scaler window is "cut off" in my CW.  Same thing in Bitwig.  In my case it is related to using high DPI monitor and Windows scaling set above 100% (it works fine at 100%).  You might try the following, which fixed MY problem in both CW and Bitwig:

Thanks for the suggestion, but that wasn't the issue. (see above)

29 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I am having an issue with Scaler 2.4 and Studio One. In Performance mode, I get stuck notes. Does not happen with any of my other DAWs.

Seems that a few others had stuck note issues in Studio One, using an earlier release of Scaler 2. Nothing definitive was ever found, but there's a few things to try.

Problem with new Scaler 2 in Studio One 5

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?t=41887&p=246406

Jammed Midi Notes/Continuous Ringing of Chords for On-board Sounds (2.1)

https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/jammed-midi-notes-continuous-ringing-of-chords-for-on-board-sounds-2-1/4958/17

Edited by abacab