Sneakin' Up On The Blues

Barry Seymour

Barry, I feel like your lyrics could have been written about my life, so I can relate to this very well.  Music is a good healing process for the body and the soul.  I listened to the 2nd mix and find it to be very clear.  The  drums and slide guitar really drive this, and your playing is terrific.  If I were to change anything, it would be to turn the bass guitar and lead vocal up a few db's, as the toms are very prominent throughout.  Otherwise, congratulations on a terrific song and quick recovery from a major surgery.  Stay well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Barry, I feel like your lyrics could have been written about my life, so I can relate to this very well.  Music is a good healing process for the body and the soul.  I listened to the 2nd mix and find it to be very clear.  The  drums and slide guitar really drive this, and your playing is terrific.  If I were to change anything, it would be to turn the bass guitar and lead vocal up a few db's, as the toms are very prominent throughout.  Otherwise, congratulations on a terrific song and quick recovery from a major surgery.  Stay well.

Thanks, Lynn, very kind. I am actually leaning towards increasing the volume on the bass and rhythm guitar, but just a scoche. It's all minor tweaks at this point. Plus I'm still waiting for my harmonica player! 😄

Barry . . . that second mix has brought up the low end just right on my system, don't be messin' with it too much more. I'm not usually a fan of R&B, but this one is just a lot of fun to listen to . . . lots of (cerebral) dancing in my living room tonight for this one !

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:36 PM, noynekker said:

Barry . . . that second mix has brought up the low end just right on my system, don't be messin' with it too much more. I'm not usually a fan of R&B, but this one is just a lot of fun to listen to . . . lots of (cerebral) dancing in my living room tonight for this one !

Fun is what I'm shootin' for!

I was listening to version 1 and was going to comment about the vocals needing more commitment to the Black Keys-type distortion, and your second mix  covered that, although my recommendation would still be more main vocal volume. Right now, your snare is as loud as your vocal, which as they mask each other anyway in the same frequency range, I'd think you'd want the vocals up a bit.

Great guitars, love the tone. The drums are so present and clean yet punchy. Love it. Great tune!

Did the docs tell you "heart surgery is the surgery you want to have" ? I remember hearing that one. Congrats on your by-pass filter  :)

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

I was listening to version 1 and was going to comment about the vocals needing more commitment to the Black Keys-type distortion, and your second mix  covered that, although my recommendation would still be more main vocal volume. Right now, your snare is as loud as your vocal, which as they mask each other anyway in the same frequency range, I'd think you'd want the vocals up a bit.

Great guitars, love the tone. The drums are so present and clean yet punchy. Love it. Great tune!

Did the docs tell you "heart surgery is the surgery you want to have" ? I remember hearing that one. Congrats on your by-pass filter  :)

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks, T. I've been told I "essentially have a new heart," that it's been "re-vascularized." I find I have more wind for singing, which I'm doing after my cardiac rehab workouts. I'm back to work as well, and I'm telling my co-workers "I'm fine - now it's YOUR heart I'm worried about!"

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions on the song; I still am open to some tweaks.  I moved the snare over to one side earlier, then back in a bit; maybe move it back out and down a bit.

At 5:45 I think I'd put the harp solo and first guitar solo back to back and fade on out sooner.
Your tune, your production.

I love me some harp so I'm going to disagree with Kurt, but hey, reasonable people can reasonably disagree.

t

print it Barry, bring us another

1 hour ago, DeeringAmps said:

At 5:45 I think I'd put the harp solo and first guitar solo back to back and fade on out sooner.
Your tune, your production.

I love me some harp so I'm going to disagree with Kurt, but hey, reasonable people can reasonably disagree.

t

Uh, I'm puzzled. The song is OVER by 5:45.  😄 If you meant 4:45, that's when the harp ends and the guitar begins. It then solos and fades out. So I'm not quite sure what you're asking here.

That said, I'm done. Gonna launch this one. Thanks though, for the feedback.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barry Seymour said:

I'm done. Gonna launch this one

That's why I said

17 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

The song is 5:45 long, its too long. But; its your tune, your production.
I'd put the harp solo after the first guitar solo, then verse, bridge verse, fade to "black"; maybe repeating "sneakin' up on the blues".

I mention "song is too long" frequently on the forum, and I get the same Artist's Perspective every time, "I like it like that!"

Its a great tune, much enjoyed, but you did ask for "opinions"; everyone's got "one". 🙃

😎

t

"When I get an actual record company breathing down my neck"

@Barry Seymour just serving as your Uncles Ahmet, Jerry, David, and Clive here Barry, its my job...
And I forgot to add, you are hardly just a "Poser", so the jig is decidedly NOT up!

Edited by DeeringAmps

3 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

That's why I said

The song is 5:45 long, its too long. But; its your tune, your production.
I'd put the harp solo after the first guitar solo, then verse, bridge verse, fade to "black"; maybe repeating "sneakin' up on the blues".

I mention "song is too long" frequently on the forum, and I get the same Artist's Perspective every time, "I like it like that!"

Its a great tune, much enjoyed, but you did ask for "opinions"; everyone's got "one". 🙃

😎

t

Oh, I thought you meant AT 5:45.  I get it now. And yeah, that is my response too!  When I get an actual record company breathing down my neck, then I'll tighten things up. 😄

• Great Idea 1