"Track Playback Meters"

Astraios

4 hours ago, John said:

You think you are the only one that uses floating windows with Cakewalk? Not only do I use them but I use them on duel monitors. Screen sets work. 

Sometimes I like to make a distinction between capability and preference.  Not sure if this is of concern to the OP here, but it could be.  For example, I took the following to be about a preference:

7 hours ago, Astraios said:

´Workspaces are okay - but Screensets I will never use - because...  I'm on Floating Windows 🤡

Yet, another reading of it could be about capability.

With the Shift+F7 shortcut attempt, I think it is not-unreasonable to conclude that assigning a shortcut should work.

image.png.1544b0bcf0be1b554f012991dd58438b.png

Edited by User 905133
to add image
  • Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, Klaus said:

Even if you don't "use" (i.e. change between) Screensets, one Screenset is always active.

So remembering the positions of all floating windows you've set up is the result of a proper working Screenset.

(1) The last time I looked it was possible to disable Screensets, though that might have changed.

(2) The times that I used floating windows (aka undocked windows), I used them so I could move things around.  Correct me if I am wrong, but if I (a) set up a screenset with playback meters, (b) duplicate that to a different screenset, and then (c) hide the meters in one of them, the toggle doesn't work if I move or resize one or more floating windows.

I just tried this (a couple of times) and while the Control Bar persisted (location and length) between screenset toggling, some of the floating windows return to the original size and position when switched using a different screenset.

Thus, if someone has floating/undocked windows that are moved/resized/etc. the toggling between screensets doesn't work as desired. (Yes, it works in terms of capability, but not as in terms of the preference that a shortcut key would provide so far as I can tell from a few tests just now.)

Edited by User 905133
to add a clarification

There is AFAIK no option to disable Screensets.

And the position and size of floating/undocked windows are kept here when changing Screensets.

Workspace is set to "none" if that could be a factor...

On 5/26/2021 at 11:08 AM, Astraios said:

Hi and Hello,
I have problems getting "Track Playback Meters" shortcut to work.
Maybe you can check out if it is only here on my system...? Thx

Meter-Options.PNG.dc70d5d5b68aea5e8b1b05ef41cd2db0.PNG

There's definitely an issue getting meters to toggle properly with a key binding. I assigned a shortcut to "Show/Hide All Meters" and it worked... but only to turn on meters. It never turns them off again. And if I assign the shortcut to "Options | Meter Options | Track Playback" or "Options | Meter Options | Track Record" it doesn't do anything. Strangely enough, if you assign a key to "Reset All Meters" that seems to work.

• Great Idea 1

On 5/27/2021 at 7:21 PM, Klaus said:

There is AFAIK no option to disable Screensets. [emphasis added] 

And the position and size of floating/undocked windows are kept here when changing Screensets.

Workspace is set to "none" if that could be a factor...

This would not be the first time my computer performs differently than what other people in the forum describe.

By unchecking one Workspace option, I just tweaked what would normally be the Advanced Workspace in such a way that I do not have the Screen Sets Module on the Control Bar nor do I seem to have any of the access points to change screensets (Menu, Shortcuts, etc.).

Oh well. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused.

Edited by User 905133

14 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Sometimes I like to make a distinction between capability and preference.  Not sure if this is of concern to the OP here, but it could be.  For example, I took the following to be about a preference:

Yet, another reading of it could be about capability.

With the Shift+F7 shortcut attempt, I think it is not-unreasonable to conclude that assigning a shortcut should work.

Not if your goal is simply to display the meters. The meters are there whether displayed or not. The shortcut is a quick way to display the meter options. Not the meters. 

18 hours ago, User 905133 said:

3 hours ago, John said:

Not if your goal is simply to display the meters. The meters are there whether displayed or not. The shortcut is a quick way to display the meter options. Not the meters. 

I guess we disagree on what is reasonable and what is not-unreasonable with regard to what that dialog is supposed to do.  😜 

Edited by User 905133
to fix a typo

Nothing you are saying makes any sense. "Non-unreasonable" means reasonable.  In English there is no such phrase as non unreasonable .

We have stated how to hide the meters and how to display them. Creating a whole new topic about drag and drop has nothing to do with it.

Also when dealing with a program (Cakewalk) there are only facts there are no such thing as "alternative" facts.  Those of us that know this program understand this.   

Please refrain from posting nonsense.  

i think the statement was meant as "it would not be unreasonable to expect blah blah blah... so "not-unreasonable" => "not be unreasonable"  🙂 

i don't adjust meters too much so it wouldn't really matter to me unless some new button or keystroke then kept interfering with my workflow - then it would be an unreasonable change imho...

18 hours ago, John said:

Glenn hold on, User 905133  removed his last post and edited his other post above it. So you are responding with none of the actual post present.

Sorry to disappoint you, @John, but I had deleted the post and fixed a number of typos (probably not all of them) BEFORE I saw your reply.  I disagree with your assessment of my post, but don't feel like it is worth wasting my time, your time, or anybody else's time debating.

Suffice it to say that on my PC, the Shift+F7 shortcut under discussion not only didn't toggle the meters, but it didn't do diddly-squat with the meter options dialog as you seem to have suggested.

23 hours ago, John said:

The shortcut is a quick way to display the meter options. Not the meters. 

Just to fill others in on the "facts/alternative facts" non-controversy (in other words, I hope this doesn't inspired more barbs), I had laid out a sort-of parallel example with a Drag and Drop Options keyboard shortcut. In so doing I presented several images as "facts" (FACT # 1, FACT # 2, etc.) because I thought that "premise" was too esoteric and I didn't want to be accused of being pedantic again.

So, at the end of the post, I threw in what I intended as a joke about facts and alternative facts.  The statement was punctuated with an icon that to me was intended to ridicule what I think is an absurd idea ("alternative facts").  It was in part a reference to the images I had posted in the beginning (a) from the reference guide, (b) from [P] references > Keyboard shortcuts, and (c) from Track View > Options presented as facts (really, they were premises, but that's three words syllables 😛 !!!).

Now, you see that icon?  To me, I intended that to convey a reflexive irony joke kind of meaning.  

However, icons (just like language itself) can be interpreted (and misinterpreted) in different ways.  For example, someone else might see that icon and thought I was being disrespectful--kind of like I was sticking out my tongue in defiance.  (I don't know if that's the case here).  Peace!

18 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

i think the statement was meant as "it would not be unreasonable to expect blah blah blah... so "not-unreasonable" => "not be unreasonable"  🙂 

Yup: reasonable = not unreasonable = it would not be unreasonable--as if to say: I can understand how someone would see this image.png.b887ecf907e9b897e4ad2fa57a30030c.pngwhen setting up a shortcut  and conclude that the shortcut would "Reset All Meters" as opposed to do something else. 

TY for helping to make the clarification.

Edited by User 905133
(2) correction: "words" changed to "syllables" [pre-mi-ses]; (1) syntactical correction: added "didn't do" before "diddly squat"
  • Like 1

You didn't write not unseasonable you wrote non-unreasonable.  

If you read all the post I made on the first page you will note I really didn't intend to address what Shift 7 does except to say it had nothing to do with displaying the meters.  It is a matter of real-estate only. 

Regarding drag and drop, you may have changed the default keyboard shortcuts on your system.  Or used one for a different DAW. 

44 minutes ago, John said:

You didn't write not unseasonable you wrote non-unreasonable.  

I am usually more subtle, less confrontive, but if you look at this:

I hope you will see that I posted it with "not-unreasonable" well before you decided to call attention to my typos in the later posts.

Please note:

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

. . .

I disagree with your assessment of my post, but don't feel like it is worth wasting my time, your time, or anybody else's time debating. [emphasis added]

. . .

Just to fill others in on the "facts/alternative facts" non-controversy (in other words, I hope this doesn't inspired more barbs) . . .[emphasis added] 

I still don't feel like these irrelevant issues are worth debating.  For me it is a distraction from a legitimate question/concern about having a keyboard shortcut for meters and I would hate to see this thread closed. Peace.

Edited by User 905133
to add "irrelevant" before "issues" in the last parapgraph

Changing screensets --> something like a "Monitor Earthquake"  😬 never liked this happen in font of my eyes... 💥

What about a screenset for "Stop" and one for "Play" function? 🤪

Edited by Astraios
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

You don't need a keyboard shortcut if you use Screensets in the way I described

Nothing can be quicker than typing '1' or '2' (NOT the numeric keypad - the numbers on the top row!!)

I use software like "Key Remapper" or "Touch Portal" routing (complicate) shortcut-sequences to a single key action  - so for me it is not quicker but the same speed...

5 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

You don't need a keyboard shortcut if you use Screensets in the way I described

Nothing can be quicker than typing '1' or '2' (NOT the numeric keypad - the numbers on the top row!!)

Question: If you (1) set up Screenshots 1, 2, and 3 (with horizontal meters, vertical meters, and no playback meters, respectively), (2) use floating/undocked windows, and then (3) move around and resize windows when you are in Screenshot 1 (for example), when you switch to Screenshot 2 and/or 3 do the previously saved positions and sizes revert to the way those Screenshots were saved, or do they inherit the locations and sizes from Screenshot 1?

When I last tried it (a few days ago), the Control Bar's position and size persisted, but the floating/undocked windows reverted to the previously last used sizes and locations.  I know from experience the way my PC works is different from what others experience. Not sure if there is a setting that would affect this on different PCs, if it depends on graphics chips, etc. 

On 5/27/2021 at 7:06 PM, User 905133 said:

(1) . . .

(2) The times that I used floating windows (aka undocked windows), I used them so I could move things around.  Correct me if I am wrong, but if I (a) set up a screenset with playback meters, (b) duplicate that to a different screenset, and then (c) hide the meters in one of them, the toggle doesn't work if I move or resize one or more floating windows.

I just tried this (a couple of times) and while the Control Bar persisted (location and length) between screenset toggling, some of the floating windows return to the original size and position when switched using a different screenset.

Thus, if someone has floating/undocked windows that are moved/resized/etc. the toggling between screensets doesn't work as desired. (Yes, it works in terms of capability, but not as in terms of the preference that a shortcut key would provide so far as I can tell from a few tests just now.)

UPDATE: To make sure this didn't change (Win 10 v. 2004 update finished approx . 3-4 hours ago), I retested.  As before the update on my PC, after being moved/resized the Control Bar's location/size persisted through different screen sets but the various floating/undocked windows didn't.

Also, in duplicating a screenset, the floating Inspector window disappeared each time and had to be re-opened for the benefit of the new screenset. 

As with other things, I assume that not everyone's Cakewalk will exhibit these properties. As we all know, what works for one person (and I don't mean just in terms of workflow/preferences) won't necessarily work on someone else's PC. 

Edited by User 905133
to confirm the behaviors I describe still occur after a Win 10 v. 2004 update

I just tried the Track Options tab > t > p as noted above.  Next to having a single keyboard shortcut or a macro or software that sequences keystrokes, Options tab > t > p seems quite efficient to me.  No need to set up screensets or re-juggle floating windows.  

Options tab > t > h and Options tab > t > v also work for horizontal and vertical meters respectively.  All the floating windows stay where they were.  

Just so there's a smaller chance of misunderstanding (which is always possible): we all have our own workflows, preferences, personal efficiencies, etc. What's personally efficient for one person might not be as efficient for another person. 

Edited by User 905133
added "keystrokes" in sentence 2 for the sake of reducing ambiguity
  • Great Idea 1