Amazon brand guitar strings? Whats next, AMZ DAW?

Clovis Ramsay

22 hours ago, Clovis Ramsay said:

I just ran across guitar strings made by Amazon selling for $6 a pack.  Now who remembers when Wal-Mart started selling strings, electric guitars  and Casio keyboards??  If you don’t then its probably because it only lasted for less than 2 yrs back in the mid 2000’s.  

Musicians, we may be a peculiar type of human but that doesn’t mean we want our tools for creating music to be unspecialized and mediocre garbage from Walmart.  We will always choose convenience to most things in life like hot pockets and Chinese take out, but when it comes to my craft, I will drive as far as I must to a music store!  I will even take off from work, call in sick, or fake my death if It is required of me to get to a music store.  

Music derives from deeply personal feelings within and I just feel “whole” knowing my strings are the perfect size, weight, tone, playability just for me.  That the makers spent time developing the best methods to get the most out of the materials used, cryogenics anyone?  

Amazon getting in on this market is a terrible thing, as for one, it forces the reputable string makers and startups to gradually start cutting corners to maintain profit margins once Amazon increasingly eats away at the market share.  I really do hope they stay out of developing software and computers because a world in permanent  mediocrity just isnt a world worth living for.  

When Rome fell, In came the dark ages so all the bath houses and public facilities running water 2000 years ago stopped flowing.  No one knew how to build and maintain the aquifers.  No more incredible built architecture, no more city apartments, no more rations of bread and meat per month per citizen…..all forgotten and never rediscovered for 1000 years.

welcome to the jungle baby, the Amazon jungle 

There are actually only a few string makers, most are just re-branded.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

I understand the small business owners dislike for big business but from a consumer standpoint ... well sorry.

The problem will come when all the other retailers have been driven out of business and there is only one choice. Watch what happens to prices then.

• Great Idea 1

9 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Interesting trivia: Jeff Bezos is dyslexic, and was actually trying to spell 'amazing'.

This may or may not be true.

Fact check:

A team of people who have no idea about anything have looked into this claim and supplied an answer that doesn't really answer the question raised:

This information is false. There is no such thing as a Jeff Bezos. The name was AI generated to look like a regular name that couldn't be an anagram for anything else.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, paulo said:

Fact check:

A team of people who have no idea about anything have looked into this claim and supplied an answer that doesn't really answer the question raised:

This information is false. There is no such thing as a Jeff Bezos. The name was AI generated to look like a regular name that couldn't be an anagram for anything else.

Yep. Everyone thinks that's a 'smile' pointing from A to Z in their logo but it's actually a ...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, paulo said:

The problem will come when all the other retailers have been driven out of business and there is only one choice. Watch what happens to prices then.

That will never happen. You don't need to sell on Amazon and the smart mom and pop owners know that. The successful ones here all sell online and most do better online because how people shop has changed.

IOW you don't need to sell on Amazon. Their niche is they offer more options for things you can't get locally.

As for their internal practices all I can say is they treat their customers well most of the time. Far better than any mom and pop I've ever had to deal with.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paulo said:

I'm sure many people would have said that about the entire population living under house arrest 18 months ago. :)

Be thankful you had a house to live in under house arrest. We use to help out at the Church providing for the homeless. The Pandemic forced the Church to close that down and the homeless were literally out on the street for several months with no place to go.  Same with the shelters for Mothers.  Wife's friend is a Social Service worker and said they were given no direction on what to do.    

Just now, InstrEd said:

and quite a few of the homeless would rather stay outside and not seek shelter. 

That's what I was getting at.

I met a guy years ago sitting on a bench looking over the sea. He was quite old and at first glance very smartly dressed (shirt/tie/jacket etc...) but with a closer look the clothes were very well worn and slightly grubby. He told me that he had lived outside for many years. I felt bad and offered sympathetic words, but he told me that it was his choice and he wouldn't have it any other way. By the end of the conversation I was half tempted to join him.

7 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Walmart and Target really did step up their game with online shopping so they might not be the only game in town.  The mom and pop shop I'm not so sure.

Yepper. You can get a lot of weird stuff from walmart. I was searching for vacuum tubes one time and walmart came up in my search engine. I got a green colored LP reissue of Nat King Coles Christmas Album at Target last year. 👍

8 hours ago, paulo said:

That's what I was getting at.

I met a guy years ago sitting on a bench looking over the sea. He was quite old and at first glance very smartly dressed (shirt/tie/jacket etc...) but with a closer look the clothes were very well worn and slightly grubby. He told me that he had lived outside for many years. I felt bad and offered sympathetic words, but he told me that it was his choice and he wouldn't have it any other way. By the end of the conversation I was half tempted to join him.

That was me.

That was me!   

Instead of 'sympathetic words', I wanted cash you nincompoop!

5 hours ago, RobertWS said:

That was me.

That was me!   

Instead of 'sympathetic words', I wanted cash you nincompoop!

Wow, what a coincidence. 

TBH I would have given you money if you'd just asked for it. It was all the filthy, depraved acts that you wanted to perform in return for money that put me off.

• Haha 1