104.48 BPM to 104??

Gary Shore

Question

Greetings to all,back over here to get some info about how to do this...

Just set up a new project and when going to put markers at the beg of each 8 bar section I noticed beat 1 was showing up as beat 2.88 etc....wondering how to do this so I'll be able to negotiate around the project without being thrown off by bars being ahead of where they actually are in the form on the Time Ruler/in the transport BPM display....

Not sure what process is involved...set the BPM initially using SPFC/ASP with all tracks selected...was thinking because there was some slight time shifting on the snare/kick vs.the hi-hat straight 8th's,I'd be able to fix this by reselecting the hi-hat and repeating the SPFC/ASP proc but the BPM didn't change.....no doubt my processes in putting the track together reflected an actual BPM of 104.48 re-Cakewalk's internal metronome....

Anyways..as always,any/all info about this greatly appreciated!!

4 answers to this question

Okay, after some head-scratching, I have figured out that SPFC/ASP is referring to Set Project From Clip/AudioSnaP. 

I'm not 100% clear on what the starting point was, but if you have tracks that were originally recorded to a click, and you just need to find the fixed tempo that matches, I would suggest using Set Measure/Beat At Now (SM/BAN) with the Now time snapped to a known measure and beat somewhere far out in the project (i,e, count out to the downbeat at  65:01, and 'Set' that). If the first downbeat isn't at time zero, and there are pick-up notes that prevent trimming and sliding everything back, you will first need to slide everything to put the first downbeat on 2:01, and 'Set' that beat as an anchor. If it's a live performance that was recorded without a click, you will likely need to set additional points to get the timeline synced up everywhere. 

Or you could try dragging a track to the timeline which uses Melodyne Essentials (installed from Bandlab Assistant) to create a tempo map. The results may be better than Audiosnap, but Melodyne has its own quirks that make me prefer doing it manually with SM/BAN.

In any case, Cakewalk does have way of renumbering measures, so you'll just have to remember that the second 8 starts on 10:01 instead of 9:01, etc. if there's a pick-up measure.

Hey David!!

Really appreciate you posting over here man..as always great to know people like yourself who know everything there is to know about the DAW are available to check things with....

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestions for how to effect this-am familiar w/the stuff you went into but haven't gotten into working w/it for a while,hadn't been thinking in terms of it,appreciate the heads up.... 

Decided that for this project since there isn't a lot of editing(=markers)involved,just going to leave things as is but for future projects where this is a factor will definitely be considering/getting into these kinds of things....

Again much thanks for sharing your knowledge....

As an alternative you could use the Audio Snap palette to define the beats/transients in your project, then apply the new tempo to your project.

Videos 37 to 40 of this playlist cover Audio Snap, and IIRC also cover what you're trying to do.

Hey Mark!!

Great to see you and David posted over here man!!Have to thank you both again for all your help over here back when I was getting a sense of things....

You know Karl Rose's series of great tutorials you mentioned/linked above are among my go-to's for everything related to the DAW,in fact have some folders in my email just set up w/specific ones of these I've studied w/links/timestamps/info(actually posted my notes/timestamps for one of his ASP tutorials here on Cakewalk Discuss a while back...)

Appreciate the heads up as well as knowing that like David you're still actively involved over here..