Help on Sonar crashing

Detwoen

Hi.

A problem that has just started with all my Sonar projects. Upon reopening a closed project, Sonar immediately crashes with an Exception c0000005 error.  Some of the projects did have crashes while working on them, but not all. Strange thing is, if I open in safe mode BUT allow all plugins to load one at a time, the project is fine. I haven't changed the system, got any new plugins, aren't running any 64bit plugins or used any plugins I don't always use. I have sent error dumps to Support, but thought someone on the forum may be able to offer an insight.  I am running a new WIn 10 i7 with 16Gb of RAM on a SSD as my C drive. Any help or pointers to solve this would be vastly appreciated.

Cheers Dave

Edited by Detwoen

Thanks Mdiemer. I think I may isolated it to CC messages that my PCR-500 keyboard controller seem to be firing. I have started the project in safe mode then saving which worked sometimes and not others, but zeroing all knobs and sliders on the keyboard seems to have helped. More investigation needed.......

If someone wants to continue using Sonar and is willing to do what is necessary to make it work, that is their right. Same with using Windows 7. It may be frutrating and even irritating for them to be constantly told that they need to upgrade. We all have our reasons, and we need to respect each other's choices. If it's just not going to work, of course they will upgrade. there will always be the few stragglers who may not find their way along with the main crowd.  Let them go at their own pace. Perhaps they hear a different drummer.

• Like 1

Sorry ... bit of a misunderstanding here. I am using the latest version of Sonar by Bandlab, and have been since Bandlab released it. I think I also may have sorted the problem, though time will tell. My PCR-500 keyboard has been firing all sorts of strange controller messages into the sequences I record with CbB, which was causing all sorts of small problems with some of my VSTs,  and I suspect that it may also have been triggering the crashes. I reset the keyboard and zeroed all the sliders and knobs and so far (fingers crossed) I have been able to open all projects as normal. The Roland PCR-500, strictly speaking, is not supported by Win 10, and I had to modify the driver to get it to work. Whether that's the reason for the problem I'm not sure, but I'll keep you posted.
Cheers Dave

5 hours ago, Detwoen said:

Sorry ... bit of a misunderstanding here. I am using the latest version of Sonar by Bandlab, and have been since Bandlab released it. I think I also may have sorted the problem, though time will tell. My PCR-500 keyboard has been firing all sorts of strange controller messages into the sequences I record with CbB, which was causing all sorts of small problems with some of my VSTs,  and I suspect that it may also have been triggering the crashes. I reset the keyboard and zeroed all the sliders and knobs and so far (fingers crossed) I have been able to open all projects as normal. The Roland PCR-500, strictly speaking, is not supported by Win 10, and I had to modify the driver to get it to work. Whether that's the reason for the problem I'm not sure, but I'll keep you posted.
Cheers Dave

Ah, yeah we thought you were using Sonar. CbB is the (Rather weird) name, or at least shorthand, for Cakewalk By Bandlab.

On 12/28/2018 at 10:31 AM, mdiemer said:

If someone wants to continue using Sonar and is willing to do what is necessary to make it work, that is their right. Same with using Windows 7. It may be frutrating and even irritating for them to be constantly told that they need to upgrade. We all have our reasons, and we need to respect each other's choices.

For heaven's sake, it's a choice of which version of DAW software to use, not a choice of which religion to follow.

I know that this is not what the OP was doing, but if someone shows up in the Cakewalk by BandLab forum saying that Sonar is constantly crashing on them and please Cakewalk users help me get it to work, sorry, no, I do not "need to respect their choice" to refuse to run an upgraded version of the software that has had a solid year of bug fixing and testing and vetting by other users. At this point they're just being needlessly stubborn. Such people are inviting frustration and irritation anyway. It's not my job to shield them from it.

Yes if you had said CbB was crashing I would not have answered the way I did.  I can only assume when someone say's Sonar that they are using Sonar. And yes it hard to get used to calling it Cakewalk after typing the word Sonar for the last 12 years or so.  That is why most of us have adopted using CbB as it's quicker to type. We used to always use Splat so people would see we were using Platinum and not Pro or Artist. Life is easier now with just having the one version. 

That is a common issue with controllers sending CC events. I had a old Roland that the joystick kinda crapped out and did that. VST's would play out of tune all the time. 

When people post with that issue first thing I say is unplug your controller and see if it goes away. 

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

For heaven's sake, it's a choice of which version of DAW software to use, not a choice of which religion to follow.

I know that this is not what the OP was doing, but if someone shows up in the Cakewalk by BandLab forum saying that Sonar is constantly crashing on them and please Cakewalk users help me get it to work, sorry, no, I do not "need to respect their choice" to refuse to run an upgraded version of the software that has had a solid year of bug fixing and testing and vetting by other users. At this point they're just being needlessly stubborn. Such people are inviting frustration and irritation anyway. It's not my job to shield them from it.

"Such People?" This kind of language is an ad hominum attack. It typecasts people as being somehow inferior and not worthy of being heard.

All I meant (and you did not quote my whole post) was that people desreve to be treated with repect, to be heard, to be helped if possible, and if it turns out their plan is not going to work then yes, by all means it is time for them to face the music and make the changes they need to make to get things working. That is basically what I said. 

We never know all the reasons people have for the choices they make. I for one am willing to listen to people where they are and try to offer assistance, not just dismiss them as hopeless Luddites. Our willingness to help "such people" on this forum is what will in the long run convince them to update. As opposed to just constantly hitting them with "get with the program" type responses.

No hard feelings, though.☺️

• Like 2

After thinking about this for awhile, I realize that Starship Krupa has a valid point. Furthermore, I think it highlights the fact that people are in transition here. Not only from Sonar to Cakewalk, but from one forum to another. On the old forum, we were discussing both softwares. That is continuing to some extent on the new one. At some point, it's logical to assume the admins will step in and say, "Please, no more questions about Sonar, it's dead software. This is a CbB forum." Perfectly understandable, but it will leave Sonar users with no good place to turn to for help. Gearslutz? They have a Sonar forum, maybe folks will get some help there. Or maybe they can be directed back to the old forum to search it for answers. But most Sonar users will probably realize at some point that they need to move on. Same with Windows 7. If the only way forward is Windows 10, people like me who still use W7 (and there are quite a few no doubt) will be forced to move on, or be trapped with limited functionality on old software. Like I said, this whole thing is a transition process. Hopefully we will all get there eventually, and the journey will be pleasant.

Hi Chuck E Baby. No I don't have Region FX in the project, and the issue only started with my most recent project in CbB. As I mentioned before, I think that my PCR-500 is causing the problem. While I haven't had the chance to do any new projects to test the theory, resetting the PCR-500 to factory settings has allowed me to open the offending project. What was weird was; when the most recent project wouldn't open without crashing, I went back to open projects over the previous 6 months (all created with CbB) and it happened to all of them. That has since been sorted, presumably by resetting the keyboard. Thanks for your help ... thanks to all the guys who have chipped in. I must admit, I didn't realise what a ruckus I'd cause by accidentally referring to CbB  as Sonar😊

Maybe think about importing the project instead of opening it? I only do midi, and I usually import my old projects, especially if there's any problem with them like you are having. That way, you can set things up in CbB fresh, and hopefully whatever was causing the crash will not be an issue. I don't know how this would work with audio.

One way to troubleshoot this would be to start a totally new project and see how that goes. If no crashes, then maybe the import method might be worth trying.

Edited by mdiemer

9 hours ago, mdiemer said:

After thinking about this for awhile, I realize that Starship Krupa has a valid point. Furthermore, I think it highlights the fact that people are in transition here. Not only from Sonar to Cakewalk, but from one forum to another. On the old forum, we were discussing both softwares. That is continuing to some extent on the new one. At some point, it's logical to assume the admins will step in and say, "Please, no more questions about Sonar, it's dead software. This is a CbB forum." Perfectly understandable, but it will leave Sonar users with no good place to turn to for help. Gearslutz? They have a Sonar forum, maybe folks will get some help there. Or maybe they can be directed back to the old forum to search it for answers. But most Sonar users will probably realize at some point that they need to move on. Same with Windows 7. If the only way forward is Windows 10, people like me who still use W7 (and there are quite a few no doubt) will be forced to move on, or be trapped with limited functionality on old software. Like I said, this whole thing is a transition process. Hopefully we will all get there eventually, and the journey will be pleasant.

Thanks, M.

I have recently spent a bit of time on the old forum recommending to people who are staying with Sonar that they get busy and start their own forum using one of the free (ad supported) hosting services that allow people to have their own forums. Also that anyone who wants to participate and give and get help with just using the program (rather than tech help with keeping it running) post here and not mention that they are using Sonar. After all, the programs are still similar enough functionally that it's not going to be any different.

I will be transparent here and say that a large part of my impatience with 64-bit holdouts is that the reasons I saw given for doing so on the old forum were either distrust or resentment toward the current manufacturers of Cakewalk, people whom I happen to respect, and am also grateful to for not charging a license fee for this wonderful software.

People either didn't trust them not to embed spyware in the software, to keep their promise to keep the licensing free, to maintain their company's financial viability, etc., etc., or they resented them for releasing Cakewalk with a freeware license, or both.

Neither of those reasons are going to elicit much respect in me. The opposite, even.

It's funny that you should mention Windows 7, because I was a Windows 7 holdout until a few days ago. Noel and Jon suggested that BandLab, along with Microsoft, are losing interest in Windows 7 and that the best performance and stability for Cakewalk would come from running it on a Windows 10 system.

Is this what I get for trusting BandLab? 🤣

I don't see why there should be an issue with Sonar users asking questions here, and people certainly shouldn't feel they should have to hide the fact their using Sonar - far from it - there may be issues that are specific to a particular Sonar version that users here could offer help or workarounds for.

Now it may be that an issue is down to a Sonar bug that has been fixed in CbB, and that an upgrade is recommended. At this point, I guess it's up to the user in question whether to upgrade or not, but at least they're given the relevant information and the choice to do so.

As for the OP's original issue... have you tried deleting AUD.INI?  I've had similar crashes when AUD.INI got corrupted.

• Like 1