MOTU ULTRALITE MK4. Will it work offline? Solved

Michael Fogarty

(Edit: So, it is hosted in a browser yet it does not need to be online to work. That was revealing.)

I am going on location June 4 to record a harp. For portable devices I have a Babyface or a MOTU Ultralite Mk4. I would prefer to use the MOTU because t has dedicated analog inputs and I can use my Grace M101 with it. Rumor has it (RME Representative) that the Babyface pre-amps do not colour the sound and it would be ok to hook up the Grace without double pre-amping (is that a word?) the sound. Hmmm. 

I would also prefer the MOTU because I know it real well, and can use 3 mics that way. I could use 3 mics with the Babyface but don't want to have to bring an ADAT unit.

The main question. Can you use the MOTU offline? I haven't been able to find a way to access the mixer without being online. Why did MOTU do that? Or am I missing something?

Edited by Michael Fogarty
solved

From the MOTU website:

"You can even take the UltraLite-mk4 on the go as a mobile mixer, controlling everything wirelessly from innovative web app software running on your iPad™, iPhone™, tablet, smartphone and laptop".

I don't know if it can be run in complete standalone mode. The user manual seems to suggest it can't (But I'd double check to be sure, as I only skimmed through it quickly).

12 hours ago, JonD said:

From the MOTU website:

"You can even take the UltraLite-mk4 on the go as a mobile mixer, controlling everything wirelessly from innovative web app software running on your iPad™, iPhone™, tablet, smartphone and laptop".

I don't know if it can be run in complete standalone mode. The user manual seems to suggest it can't (But I'd double check to be sure, as I only skimmed through it quickly).

controlling everything with "web app" equals internet me thinks. There will be no internet.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/11/2021 at 4:58 AM, batsbrew said:

i love my rme babyface pro...

tho, i have never used it 'off line'.

i'm sure it can do that.

the Babyface is fine. The question is about the MOTU. But thanks for chiming in. The Babyface Mixer works fine oofline.

Edited by Michael Fogarty

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I read, the mk4 needs some kind of computer (iPad) control connection.

I have the new Ultralite MK5 and it can work as a standalone

From MOTU:

Built for studio and stage

Housed in a compact, steel enclosure you can take anywhere, the UltraLite-mk5 is equally well-suited for studio and stage, with or without a computer. Connect all your personal studio gear for state-of-the art computer-based recording and production, or take it to your next gig to mix live, without a computer.