My Dreams Way-Original

Johnbee58

Nice job John - I thought it was a cool song.  Your vocal on this reminded me a bit of Gary Portnoy - the guy who sang the Cheers theme song. I thought the bass line was quite good.

I thought the mix sounded pretty good to my ears through my Sony 7506 headphones.

• Thanks 1

The mix was really good, thought maybe the bass was a very small bit forward, it kept stealing my attention from the lyrics particularly around the bridge (which is pretty damned nice.) Piano is divine. Damn I liked this one. Really enjoyed the journey the chords took me on. 

• Thanks 1

John, there was so much about this I embraced.

Though this is "poppy" I think it is actually more "adult contemporary."

Like all your creations it is from the heart.

Pop songs are not this long.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with pushing the envelope.

Like I would know?

When you stretch out at 4:)00 that was experimental.

never pack to many chops in a small cooler.

• Thanks 1

Great sounding song John ! Liking the piano and string arrangements, You mention up front "meandering thoughts" . . . as a listener, I just want to know more about who the lyrics are directed towards, that's just not clear, and think it would help understanding the song more, but maybe that's just me.

• Thanks 1

@Kevin Walsh-Thank you for listening, Kev

@Jesse Screed-Thanks Jess

@noynekkerThank you-As far as explanation of lyrics, Sorry, no can do.   I'm not quite clear myself what I'm saying.  I can tell you that "my love's all right now" is not referring to a person.  I think it's my music.

@Bajan BlueThank you, Nigel

@Lynn Wilson-Thanks so much, Lynn

@bjornpdxThanks Bjorn!

🙂JB

Oh, forgot to add.  Thanks for pointing out the bass volume issue.  I wanted to work on that today but didn't get around to it.  When I do I will post an updated mix.

Edited by Johnbee58

Interesting piece John (I can see what Jesse said about "experimental" at the 4:00 mark).

Interesting melody; I'm a bit more traditional when it comes to meter and rhyme.
But I've read and enjoyed plenty of poetry that "defied" traditional rhyme and meter.

A word on the bass, Trilian, especially in the upper registers (for me at least), tends to get "funky"
when hit hard with the velocities, that initial "hard" attack, kind of makes it "stand out" too much.
That's what I think I'm hearing as far as the "volume" of the bass track.

Not as "dark" as some of your recent stuff, thats a good thing from my point of view (especially given the times in which we live).

👍 from me

t

The verb on the strings, is that "baked" into the patches you used? A little bit of "are we all in the same space?" on the mix.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Interesting piece John (I can see what Jesse said about "experimental" at the 4:00 mark).

Interesting melody; I'm a bit more traditional when it comes to meter and rhyme.
But I've read and enjoyed plenty of poetry that "defied" traditional rhyme and meter.

A word on the bass, Trilian, especially in the upper registers (for me at least), tends to get "funky"
when hit hard with the velocities, that initial "hard" attack, kind of makes it "stand out" too much.
That's what I think I'm hearing as far as the "volume" of the bass track.

Not as "dark" as some of your recent stuff, thats a good thing from my point of view (especially given the times in which we live).

👍 from me

t

The verb on the strings, is that "baked" into the patches you used? A little bit of "are we all in the same space?" on the mix.

Hey Tom.

Thanks so much for your observations.

Fact is, you and Jessie are correct.  It is "experimental".  It just kind of rolled off my back.  I had more fun creating it but take it less seriously than some of my other tunes.  You are also right regarding the bass velocities in Trilian but the kind of bass you choose also plays into that funkyness factor.  String verb?  I think it is "baked in" but I'm not sure.  I'll have to check the settings in the project.  I could adjust it.  Would you suggest more or less?

🙂 John B

12 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Would you suggest more or less?

Not a question of the amount of verb, but what "space" all the instruments are in.
When each element of the mix has its own verb (hence the question "baked in") the mix
doesn't "feel" glued together.
Of course its common practice to over do it on the vocal track, its the main "focus" of the song.
Guitarists are often prone to that big "arena" verb and delay as well; in a rock setting the
guitars are another "focal" point of the tune.

its a "minor" thing really, but it is what separates a "home studio" mix from a "pro" mix.
its what we shoot for (the pro mix)
if I was good at it, I'd be too busy mixing to enjoy life here on the forum...

🙃

t

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

Not a question of the amount of verb, but what "space" all the instruments are in.
When each element of the mix has its own verb (hence the question "baked in") the mix
doesn't "feel" glued together.
Of course its common practice to over do it on the vocal track, its the main "focus" of the song.
Guitarists are often prone to that big "arena" verb and delay as well; in a rock setting the
guitars are another "focal" point of the tune.

its a "minor" thing really, but it is what separates a "home studio" mix from a "pro" mix.
its what we shoot for (the pro mix)
if I was good at it, I'd be too busy mixing to enjoy life here on the forum...

🙃

t

I thought the solo cello towards the beginning was too loud anyway, so I brought it down.  I checked and the verb was "baked in" from the instrument (UVI player).

I took it  completely down at those spots and did a Send Return reverb (Breverb) in the mix.  I like it better that way anyway.  Thanx!

Yeah, a pro would probably mix the whole thing different anyway (or more than likely, just shoot it down).

🤪JB

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1