"Cannot Open File" dialog box

Steev

Question

I was wondering if this has happened with other CbB users. It's not really a problem because CbB DOES in fact playback the audio files, so more of a curious annoyance. 

Although everything is saving and running working properly, it's a strange glitch that happens from time to time when freezing synths and creating "Region FX" with Melodyne.

cannot open file 021-05-24_15-33-48.jpg

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

I have seen this in the past but unfortunately can't remember what conditions or solutions were involved. I think maybe it just happened, then stopped happening as it is with your system. Sorry I don't have more.

Ditto for me too. Been a long time. Seems the updates are solving weirdness issues little bit by little bit. 

Wouldn't it be nice if the message included the name of the file it couldn't open? Might want to submit that as an enhancement request.

Unhelpful though it may be, the message is more or less self-explanatory. A file referenced by the project isn't there anymore, or it has been renamed or moved. You just don't know which one.

A project will often reference many files that you can't see, some of which you may not even need any longer. That's why your project still plays OK. Often, these are temporary files or archived copies to support non-destructive editing, allowing un-do's. Cakewalk generally doesn't like to throw anything away, even including files that you'll never need again.

You can clean that stuff up by saving your project under a new name/folder using Save As.

You can usually avoid those issues in the first place by rendering any Region FX before your final save. For example, I never quit out of a project while I've got a Melodyne window open.