Installing Cakewalk BbB on Another HD

Bobby Thistle

Good morning to all...

I have installed a new hard drive which is going to be used strictly for my music stuff.  I'm trying to install Cakewalk on it but can't.

When trying to install, Bandlab Assistant will not let me direct all things pertaining to Cakewalk... vst folders, plugins and such, it asks me where to install it but I can't change the default C:\Program Files to G:\ Program Files, the "G" being the new HD.  Also, the "browse" button is greyed out.  And so I'm left being forced to install it on my C:\ HD

There has to be a way to get around this and let me install it to whichever HD  I want , no?  If anyone has a way of doing it, your advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

/OM

3 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

Good morning to all...

I have installed a new hard drive which is going to be used strictly for my music stuff.  I'm trying to install Cakewalk on it but can't.

When trying to install, Bandlab Assistant will not let me direct all things pertaining to Cakewalk... vst folders, plugins and such, it asks me where to install it but I can't change the default C:\Program Files to G:\ Program Files, the "G" being the new HD.  Also, the "browse" button is greyed out.  And so I'm left being forced to install it on my C:\ HD

There has to be a way to get around this and let me install it to whichever HD  I want , no?  If anyone has a way of doing it, your advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

/OM

When you initially install CbB (or any previous Cakewalk program), it defines shared user paths in the Registry. If you do a clean install, you'll be able to reinstall and define those paths to another drive. If you simply want to move your project/content folders, you can adjust the settings in the Preferences on the Folder Locations and Audio Data tabs. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Jon...

Thanks so much for this.  As I was looking at it, Cakewalk in itself doesn't take up much room on my C:\ drive.  So I think I'll just leave it there.  That being said, SampleTank and Addictive Drums are massive.  Therefore, I have put in another HD just for my music stuff.  My plan was to put Cakewalk on there too but for the trouble it takes to do that, I think I'll just leave it alone.  I gave it a test run with SampleTank, which I just did a re-install onto the new drive and everything is working well.  Tomorrow Addictive Drums will be put there as well.

/OM

There are many reasons you would never want to install software to anything but your C drive. Software itself does not take up room. So most of us leave that alone and then store all projects and content on a data drive. Many keep sample libraries on a 3rd drive.

Most all VST installers give you the option to re direct to a different location during instal.  It's a little tricky to move them after the fact but that can be done too. Each VST is a little different. 

I like to keep my 240 GB SSD C drives under 50%. This has never been an issue as long as I try and direct VST installs of content to the data drives. Some installers sneak by me but as long as I'm below 50% on C I don't worry about it.      

23 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

Hi Jon...

Thanks so much for this.  As I was looking at it, Cakewalk in itself doesn't take up much room on my C:\ drive.  So I think I'll just leave it there.  That being said, SampleTank and Addictive Drums are massive.  Therefore, I have put in another HD just for my music stuff.  My plan was to put Cakewalk on there too but for the trouble it takes to do that, I think I'll just leave it alone.  I gave it a test run with SampleTank, which I just did a re-install onto the new drive and everything is working well.  Tomorrow Addictive Drums will be put there as well.

/OM

Just FYI, the XLN Audio Online Installer lets you set the sound data path in the "Advanced" options.

A kind and knowledgeable tech at XLN answered my email I sent before I even started to play around with moving or deleting anything.  His instructions made the change almost too easy.  It might have taken me 3 or 4 minutes to get everything where I want it be.

I can't believe the dent that the new software made on the new drive.  There really was a need for it.

/OM