AIR Music Tech Windows 10 Issues

cclarry

AIR Music Technology Download Area

Due to a major incompatibility issue with various AIR Music Technology software and a recent Windows 10 update, we have made the decision to remove all affected products from sale at Plugin Boutique while we await updated installers that will fix this problem. As a result of this, we DO NOT recommend Windows 10 users download and install any AIR Music Technology software, excluding the products listed with the downloads here.

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 and would like to download the current installers, please contact us HERE and we'll be happy to help.

As AIR Music Technology continue to work on updating their product range to be macOS Catalina and Big Sur compatible, these will be added to this download area when they become available. 

Please find the relevant installer for your purchase below. Click on the Apple or Windows logos to download the correct installer for your operating system.

https://support.pluginboutique.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360007375497

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Owned by the same folks who bought BFD. This is why I'm hesitant to upgrade my BFD Eco to BFD 3.4. My experiences with inMusic Brands software with Air Music Technology VSTs (I also own a Sonivox -- another old brand they own -- soft synth I'm hesitant to install after my experience with an AIR VST and reading other users horror stories) -- and I know they have a long history of issues with other brands of software they bought from declining brands in fire sales -- makes me extremely hesitant to purchase any software from any brand they own. I spent hours and had to do a Windows rollback after trying to install one of the AIR VSTs on one of my PCs. And when I went to KVR to find out if there was a fix for the issue, I found they acknowledged that they have long known about the problems -- for at least 6 months they stopped responding and did nothing about it. Not exactly a company I would put much faith in when they buy out a software developer.  They really need to be held to a higher standard. Yes, they're selling their VSTs for dirt cheap, but if it causes problems big enough where multiple users have reported having to go as far as to re-install their OS, even free is too high of a price. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Due to a major incompatibility issue with various AIR Music Technology software and a recent Windows 10 update, we have made the decision to remove all affected products from sale at Plugin Boutique while we await updated installers that will fix this problem. As a result of this, we DO NOT recommend Windows 10 users download and install any AIR Music Technology software, excluding the products listed with the downloads here.

If you are running Windows 7 or 8 and would like to download the current installers, please contact us HERE and we'll be happy to help.

As AIR Music Technology continue to work on updating their product range to be macOS Catalina and Big Sur compatible, these will be added to this download area when they become available. 

Please find the relevant installer for your purchase below. Click on the Apple or Windows logos to download the correct installer for your operating system.

This is actually pretty old news, but a good reminder. The problem was that some Air Music (and SONiVOX) plugins were installing an old version of iLok  even if you had a newer version installed. The old version of iLok would install a driver that would render you computer unbootable until you deleted tpkd.sys from c:\Windows\system32\drivers. You could not even use system restore to back out of the install.

• Like 2

Doug. You may have hit on why I will never touch iLok. I had a trial vst some time ago that put iLok on a pc built for music. And rendered it useless. I could not delete iLok. And it would not allow me to access files etc. And gave up in the end. Though the pc was getting on a bit. I had to invest in a new pc. I thought it was iLok but had no evidence and my understanding of computers was limited then.

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Air Music Technology released updates around about 10 May 2021.

Same with Sonivox (same parent company). I tried downloading Big Bang Universal drums yesterday from PB and got that message. Went to the Sonivox and downloaded the demo and authorized that one with no issues. But tham, that vst sounds like ***** lol. Just bought GGD Modern and Massive with money that I shouldn't have spent :(

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

This is actually pretty old news, but a good reminder. The problem was that some Air Music (and SONiVOX) plugins were installing an old version of iLok  even if you had a newer version installed. The old version of iLok would install a driver that would render you computer unbootable until you deleted tpkd.sys from c:\Windows\system32\drivers. You could not even use system restore to back out of the install.

Even worse, they tried to install an old version of .net. Windows wouldn’t allow it so many people have not been able to install their plugins for years (myself included).

I have never has any issue installing air products on Windows 10.  I always make sure I am using the latest version of iLok licence manager.

The most recent install is Xpand!2 and this was successful.  It did not replace my installation of iLok licence manager.  Nor did it bork my Windows 10 installation.

In fact, there was an entry in my Windows Application Event Logs that specifically stated that an iLok licence manager install was attempted. However, this was aborted because a newer version of iLok licence manager was already installed.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Joakim said:

Even worse, they tried to install an old version of .net. Windows wouldn’t allow it so many people have not been able to install their plugins for years (myself included).

I have never had a problem with this. I have installed the complete AIEP3 and the SONiVOX Premier Collection. As long as I remembered to delete  tpkd.sys and reinstall the latest iLok,  I was okay.

14 hours ago, Joakim said:

If you go to "Windows Features", Windows allows you to enable prior versions of .NET for backwards compatibility. So that shouldn't be a problem...

11 minutes ago, mibby said:

If you go to "Windows Features", Windows allows you to enable prior versions of .NET for backwards compatibility. So that shouldn't be a problem...

It doesnt work because som apps need a newer version. The installer should check and accept a newer version but Air’s installers doesn’t and windows doesn’t allow you to (manually) installer an older one.

I've been using AIR and Sonivox products for 5 years, mostly trouble-free, and they are a good bang for the buck.

But I have learned since that there are other virtual instrument companies out there that try way harder to win and keep your business. YMMV, of course. :)

6 hours ago, Joakim said:

It doesnt work because som apps need a newer version. The installer should check and accept a newer version but Air’s installers doesn’t and windows doesn’t allow you to (manually) installer an older one.

IMHO this is a completely wrong design in Windows (maybe in other OS too)! It is based on the opinion of a lot of developers and universities that as long as the interface is not changed new versions (of DLLs) can be installed without issue. In my experience there are often side effects that are not included in this design that can cause trouble (order of calls, data formats, ...). Thus I would prefer that each program, module could define the version of a DLL to be used (implies that several versions of the DLLs can run in parallel). So it would be up to the developer of the program to check whether a new version runs or not, or else it would run properly with an older version!

4 hours ago, marled said:

So it would be up to the developer of the program to check whether a new version runs or not, or else it would run properly with an older version!

Agreed, but this implies that you are only running currently supported software. I get the impression that a lot of folks are still running end of life products. So incompatibilities may abound.

On 5/24/2021 at 9:04 PM, Doug Rintoul said:

Yeah, I think you're right here - must be an issue limited to the installers. 

I upgraded all my machines to Windows 10 21H1 over the weekend. I've just tried and all of my AIR MT VSTi's work fine.  I tried a handful of AIR MT effects too, and they're all ok too.

FWIW I tried a new machine build a while back and had similar issues with Windows 10 2004 / 20H2. The trick was to immediately install the latest iLok software after installing the AIR plugins. IIRC this would remove tpkd.sys for you.