FLIGHT DECK (2021.12)

Colin Nicholls

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please return your seat to the upright position,
and ensure your seat belts are fastened.

Or alternatively, come and join me on the FLIGHT DECK.

Crisp, clear, and all business, with twin engine power.
You'll KNOW you're in control.

Along with the usual appointments from the House of Colin, we have some additional fettling work in the areas of Piano Roll View Track Pane, Icons, and Send UI.

Inspired by a Cessna CJ4 in MS Flight Simulator, but based on the Mercury theme, so if you're a practitioner of the dark arts, this one may not be for you.

But please. take her for a spin - you may be surprised at the performance.

FLIGHT_DECK.zip

Flight_Deck_Preview_2.PNG

Updated 2021.12:   refreshed Folder Archive button

Edited by Colin Nicholls
Updated for 2021.12
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice. Inspiring. I see a couple of ideas I might want to swipe incorporate, especially as regards rollovers.

A couple of issues I notice: in the Mix module, the Clear Automation Write button (position 4 in the image) appears as a blank white rectangle when any track has Write enabled. Also, I really like the text for the Marker module "Prev" and "Next" buttons instead of the triangles and tiny arrows, but on the black background it looks over-smoothed, like what I get if I have Paint.NET's font smoothing set to Smooth instead of Sharp (Modern).

1 minute ago, Starship Krupa said:

Nice. Inspiring. I see a couple of ideas I might want to swipe incorporate, especially as regards rollovers.

A couple of issues I notice: in the Mix module, the Clear Automation Write button (position 4 in the image) appears as a blank white rectangle when any track has Write enabled. Also, I really like the text for the Marker module "Prev" and "Next" buttons instead of the triangles and tiny arrows, but on the black background it looks over-smoothed, like what I get if I have Paint.NET's font smoothing set to Smooth instead of Sharp (Modern).

Learning about Ctrl-Shift-C in Paint.NET really sped things up for me, to the point where I keep my sources as multi-layer, with the bottom layer retaining the original Mercury image, marked as hidden. Not that I'm planning another theme (I have too many already!) but my workflow is very optimized now.

Re: Clear Automation Write

Huh. Thanks! How did I miss that. Not the white rectangle - I did that deliberately because I couldn't see how the image was used. I even wrote a note in YLIP about it. But it is pretty obvious that it IS used, now that you point it out. I will fix this in 1.0.1.

Re: Prev/Next on Black

It looks OK to me but I'm using Windows 10 Display Scaling at 125% and it may be obscuring some artifacts. I'll take a look at refining the options I used for the white-on-black text on those buttons (Including Snap, Punch, Select, etc) and see if I can improve it.

Incidentally, Mercury and Tungsten use the same button style for these Control Bar modules, but  I made some choices about whether I used a black+LED push button or a light-em-up indicator based on whether the button-push made a change or was merely an On/Off indicator for a feature. I think it is intuitive, and works interactively.

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I'll take a look at refining the options I used for the white-on-black text on those buttons (Including Snap, Punch, Select, etc) and see if I can improve it.

I took a peek at the other text images and they look fine. It just looked like you used different options in that one module.

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

FLIGHT DECK's MIDI and audio reset button is invisible on my monitor, and if I click it, the audio engine button goes invisible as well. Maybe my screen is set to a lower contrast than yours?

When inactive, yes, they are hard to read. I agree that they should present themselves as visible even when inactive.

I see now that "Drop Out" is completely invisible. I'll fix these.

UPDATE: Done. ZIP refreshed with v.1.0.4.

Edited by Colin Nicholls
  • Like 1