Which Interface to get???

SS

HELP! I'm a novice trying to learn all this recording engineering language at the same time researching the equipment etc. Anyone know which audio interface is compatible with cakewalk? I don't need anything fancy...just great working but not luxury. Here's everything I'm using:

laptop: Dell 15 3000

Digital piano 88 key: Roland GO

I just configured my cakewalk audio settings to wasapi exclusive

***also I have a scarlett solo interface i bought few months ago for youtube..but would that work with my recording situtaion? i couldn't find much info online about the scarlett solo for cakewalk 

11 minutes ago, martsave martin s said:

you can try ASIO driver-mode in preference from there adjust the buffer for your soundcard, 128 can be good for recording...& playback

i can understand you perfect martin!

so you're recommending...not to use wasapi?  i did install asio4all drivers but another guy advised me to go with wasapi

is that what you mean?

ASIO4All is not an ASIO driver. It is a wrapper for WDM drivers intended for use with programs that require ASIO.

CbB does not require ASIO, it can use WASAPI and WDM drivers directly.

When most users recommend using ASIO, they are not talking about ASIO4All. They are referring to a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver for the audio interface, 

As a rule, a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver performs better than Windows drivers (WASAPI and WDM).

The exception being Realtek. Their ASIO driver is not very good. When using the internal sound chip on Win10, WASAPI is the best choice. 

When using an audio interface designed for DAW use, the first choice is the manufacturers ASIO driver. If the manufacture does not supply an ASIO driver or if they use ASIO4All, avoid the interface.

Focusrite supplies ASIO drivers for their interfaces.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, scook said:

ASIO4All is not an ASIO driver. It is a wrapper for WDM drivers intended for use with programs that require ASIO.

CbB does not require ASIO, it can use WASAPI and WDM drivers directly.

When most users recommend using ASIO, they are not talking about ASIO4All. They are referring to a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver supplied with the audio interface, 

As a rule a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver performs better than Windows drivers (WASAPI and WDM).

The exception being Realtek. Their ASIO driver is not very good. When using the internal sound chip on Win10, WASAPI is the best choice. 

When using an audio interface designed for DAW use, the best option is the manufacturers ASIO driver. If the manufacture does not supply an ASIO driver or if they use ASIO4All, avoid the interface.

Focusrite supplies ASIO drivers for their interfaces.

Hi Scook!😀

I think I understand the clarification you're providing. I think the interchanging on terminology i'm reading online is confusing me so much. Ok so does this make sense if I do this:

ill look for an audio interface that is built with ausio drivers...then i'll install it.  Then in cakewalk, I'll configure my audio in and output settings to Wasapi exclusive.....

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb

I find it odd that you would not first go to the Focusrite web site where they have a whole page of tutorials as well as top notch support . 

And here's your driver. 

https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_type=1365&download_type=all

Edited by John Vere

Focusrite Scarlett has a very good factory ASIO driver. I rely on it daily! 👍

Since you already have the Scarlett Solo, just download the latest drivers from the Focusrite site, and you are good to go!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I put this here because the title of the thread might spark interest in shopping for interfaces. 

You don't need one and you just need to download the drivers and follow the very clear instructions supplied by Focusrite.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SS said:

Hi Scook!😀

I think I understand the clarification you're providing. I think the interchanging on terminology i'm reading online is confusing me so much. Ok so does this make sense if I do this:

ill look for an audio interface that is built with ausio drivers...then i'll install it.  Then in cakewalk, I'll configure my audio in and output settings to Wasapi exclusive.....

No.  How many times does this need to be repeated?  You install the ASIO driver. In Cakewalk you choose the ASIO driver.  WASAPI is for on board audio and interfaces that didn't come with a driver. ( to be avoided) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Vere said:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb

I find it odd that you would not first go to the Focusrite web site where they have a whole page of tutorials as well as top notch support . 

I didn't know  they had an online community...i'm learning everything all at once...it's literally like learning a foreign language with EVERYTHING. I don't even know if I should go with focusrite..it just landed in my hands because my sister bought it for youtube. But i'll have to look there as well if anyone can provide valuable experience and knowledge. But I was leaning towards a mass of people that have experience with daw and recording audio so when i downloaded bandlab and cakewalk, i discovered the resources here so it makes sense as well

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

I use Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd generation 2-in/2-out USB audio interface. 

Scarlett Solo

works great..

Hih Old Joad! I don't think mine is 2nd generation..ill have to look! So relieved to hear🤩

• Like 1

You said you were having trouble finding information about the Focusrite products. That's why I said I find it odd that you would not simple enter a search for that and that their web site is top of the search. It's all good. You have a perfectly fine interface and now instructions on what to do with it. Get off of here and get to work :) 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

yeah, with windows 10 just download the drivers and install. that's all you have to do😎

thank you old joad! i feel more encouraged...i wanted to slam everything and quit. It's great meeting knowledgeable musicians here😀

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

Focusrite Scarlett has a very good factory ASIO driver. I rely on it daily! 👍

Since you already have the Scarlett Solo, just download the latest drivers from the Focusrite site, and you are good to go!

thank you abacab!😀 I could not move forward without u guys. I have tried researching all this stuff even on youtube and the confusion just is frustrating. Men are better at self learning engineering stuff than us ladies imo..or maybe it's just me lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Joad said:

sometimes youtub has to much info🤧

omg i know! hearing them and reading comments drove me nuts. I think i disliked videos because i got annoyed haha!

12 hours ago, John Vere said:

I put this here because the title of the thread might spark interest in shopping for interfaces. 

You don't need one and you just need to download the drivers and follow the very clear instructions supplied by Focusrite.  

I played it. Seems very comprehensive to me. I'll try to remember it next time I need an audio interface. I always forget something important.

You sound a little like Tom Bodett.