All In The Family

Bapu

3 hours ago, craigb said:

I don't see either of these, so more work is required!

preview.jpg

My actual first bass was an off brand copy of that body style but it had two pickups. I really can't remember the brand so I'll just call it a St. George as that was a popular beginner brand at our local shop at the time.

Then I got my white P-Bass and probably sold or gave that St.George away.
Eventually I sold my P-Bass to get an EB-0 which I hated and immediately traded up for an EB-3.

Sometime later I traded up the EB-3 for a Rick.

The Rick was traded up for the Alembic.

Then starting in about 2007 I acquired (roughly in this order) Line 6,  White P-Bass, Uke, 5-String, Rick, Jazz, EB-3, Danelectro and the Players P-Bass.

9 hours ago, paulo said:

Which one is the EZ bass?

Not one mention of BiaB. Tsk Tsk.

All jokes aside, there's actually some really good stuff there. Just as long as you don't try a key change in a Major. *dUcKiNg FoR cOvEr*

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Not one mention of BiaB.

Many moons ago I visited my then favourite retailer of all things musical. Nice guys who knew their stuff. I was still pretty new to the whole DAW thing and what I wanted was a better set of sounds to replace the GM type stuff that I had been using from my keyboard workstation. I had no real idea what was available, so went in search of guidance. Back then, when you bought software it was still physical media. Trying to describe the kind of thing I was looking for I said......basically a band in a box.

Suddenly, It was like the room temperature had dropped about 10 degrees and they looked at me in ways that are hard to describe, but basically imagine the face of parents if you told them that actually their first born and every little thing it does is actually the most boring subject on the planet. It's not a miracle, it's just a baby and not a very nice looking one at that.....

Anyhoo, the atmosphere became less frosty as I further explained what I wanted and eventually an East West library was bought and everyone was happy.

Only later did I discover that there was actually a thing called Band in a Box and came to understand why you should never mention it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, paulo said:

Only later did I discover that there was actually a thing called Band in a Box and came to understand why you should never mention it. 

Great story. 😄

I mainly bought it for doing bass and steel tracks. It's great for a lot of things but I got frustrated because I found a show stopping bug in the very first song I tried to do. I spent weeks trying to reach tech support and nothing. Most of the guys on their forum were really nice and someone from BiaB replied there but the whole being ignored by official tech support left a bad taste in my mouth. I paid a ton for the audiophile version on HDD because I had super slow internet at the time. But I just chucked it in a box in my basement and tossed it up to lesson learned.

It really is a great program except for that little hiccup I found. They have a SoundCloud group on their forum and there is some excellent music there made with BiaB. Maybe when fall rolls around and I'm stuck inside again I'll dig it out and give it another try.

That said still after all this time my favorite bass vst is Cakewalk's.

• Like 1

I once used BIAB to generate a placeholder lead guitar solo for a Philz song. When Philz got around to doing his full production he asked Danny Danzi to replace that solo and Danny told him there was no need. He said the solo fit the song perfectly.

I also used a  generated guitar solo on a Daryl1968/Bapu production too.

And I used BIAB for a full 'country' version of She's a Lady (aka She's a Monkey) on which The Beepster did the lead vocals.

• Like 1

I do want to thank everyone for their suggestions on "the next bass", I feel I have my bases (see wot I deed dare?) covered with the group I have now. I call them Bapu's Eleven.

5 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Ed, here's your next basses...

dereksmalls.jpg.8863d94c6616bd6cb4b66ff4810baa90.jpg

That's clearly just a thing for someone who has far more basses than they actually need.

You're right. It would be perfect.😀

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, craigb said:

I don't see either of these, so more work is required!

preview.jpg

Maybe that will be the "last" bass I'll ever need. Possibly pick it up next year.

On 5/23/2021 at 4:21 PM, Bapu said:

AllInTheFamily.jpg

Left to Right:

Alembic Series I, Rickenbacker 4003, Fender American P-Bass, Fender Players P-Bass, Gibson EB3-L, Danelectro Longhorn, Fender Squier Jazz Fretless, Custom Spacey 5-String Bass, Line 6 Variax, Hofner Ignite, Kala Uke Bass

Which one's your favorite?