Just when you thought itwas save to come to the coffee shop - another music cartoon

Notes_Norton

Heh...  I still remember (from back in the 70's) when it came down to the 'ol "So, what should we call ourselves?"  The bass player (naturally! 😁 ) came up with "Random Precision" 'cause he thought it sounded cool.  I'm not sure what we settled on, but we didn't want a name that truly described our playing ability. 😆

18 hours ago, craigb said:

Heh...  I still remember (from back in the 70's) when it came down to the 'ol "So, what should we call ourselves?"

We were transitioning from oldies to rock and new music because the oldies crowd got too old for bar hopping.

I was the youngest in my mid 20s. All the other guys were in their late 40s. I came up with the name 'Midlife Crisis' but it wasn't well received.

Ah the good old days. I'd toss her the keys to the house and cars and sign off on the bank account and walk to nj from mo with just my guitar on my back if it would turn back the clock.

Naming a band goes through these phases:

1. Everybody suggests their cleverest or most artistic name, but since everybody thinks their own name is the best, none of them get picked
  2. Everyone is hurt that their name didn't get picked, so to keep from getting hurt again, they submit a silly or stupid name, and it doesn't get picked, but since it wasn't soul revealing, it doesn't hurt
  3. Somebody suggests something completely non-committal that neither says anything in particular nor offends anybody in particular, so they settle on that.
  4. Nobody is really happy with the name, but they are getting a reputation so they can't change it

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

1. Everybody suggests their cleverest or most artistic name, but since everybody thinks their own name is the best, none of them get picked
  2. Everyone is hurt that their name didn't get picked, so to keep from getting hurt again, they submit a silly or stupid name, and it doesn't get picked, but since it wasn't soul revealing, it doesn't hurt
  3. Somebody suggests something completely non-committal that neither says anything in particular nor offends anybody in particular, so they settle on that.
  4. Nobody is really happy with the name, but they are getting a reputation so they can't change it

This is probably how that one group ended up being called "The Band" ya?

17 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

5. Just as you're starting to get less embarrassed actually saying the name that nobody really wanted ( remember kids...democracy means everyone gets what most people didn't want)  somebody suggests changing it again.

6. See 1-5.

5 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Worst band names ever?

Anthrax.

The Dead Kennedys.

Dumpster Juice.

My band once played on the same bill as a band called Dead Pigs Under The Church Floor.

The lead vocalist was a dog.

I kid you not.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Worst band names ever?

Anthrax.

The Dead Kennedys.

Dumpster Juice.

Butthole Surfers

The String Cheese Incident

Dishwalla

The Vibrators

Aņåľ Cùʼnť

Edited by Notes_Norton
I couldn't resist the last one, which I think is the all time worst band name I've ever heard