Ryzen 3700X vs 5900X in Cakewalk

lmu2002

9 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Pretty cool, thanks for contributing! I'm looking at upgrading my x570/3960x to a 5950x, assuming they can be found for a reasonable price. 

Thanks. I think the availability for these cpus will stay bad for a while. But I got mine within a week from ordering so you just have to browse shops and keep fingers crossed.

I wish someone could develope a reliable benchmark test for DAWs. But maybe there are just too many variables involved. If you consider buying a 900 dollar cpu it would be great to know how much more actual DAW power you get when comparing with the old cpu.

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded from my very old Intel i7 2600k to a Ryzen 5900x, and the speed difference is night and day, and the number of plugins/virtual instruments I can run is basically unbridaled.

However, one issue I'm having is that Cakewalk (CbB) crashes a LOT more often than it used to. While it is by no means a debilitating situation, it is frustrating to know that I can expect something to take down Cakewalk a few times a day when I'm mixing.  I'm not blaming Cakewalk or the new processor/motherboard/memory combo, I'm just saying that I have logged MANY crash dumps since upgrading.

I still think it was a very good decision to make, but I'm letting you know. Maybe your situation will be different.

Edited by Moving Air Productions
  • Sad 1