Spitfire Spring Sale starts May 24th

cclarry

It’s their way to use synthesis with orchestral sounds. That’s why you’ll find an eDNA section in several Albions. I also have eDNA Earth and like it. They added more content to it last year. There’s an add-on pack but I didn’t get that one (yet). 

• Like 1

So many choices. I have Abby Road One and BBC DIscover (and some Labs stuff that curiously does'nt seem to work anymore, dang it..) and now I'm tempted to take advantage of this sale and stock up on some more Spitfire stuff, as I am now writing more orchestral/cinematic stuff. I don't know how I'm gonna decide what to get, since I cannot get them all--anyone out there who has many or most of these that can comment on which libraries are good or better than others for what type of music, and then if you had to pick one or two libraries, which one (or collection) would you go for? THanks.

14 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

So many choices. I have Abby Road One and BBC DIscover (and some Labs stuff that curiously does'nt seem to work anymore, dang it..) and now I'm tempted to take advantage of this sale and stock up on some more Spitfire stuff, as I am now writing more orchestral/cinematic stuff. I don't know how I'm gonna decide what to get, since I cannot get them all--anyone out there who has many or most of these that can comment on which libraries are good or better than others for what type of music, and then if you had to pick one or two libraries, which one (or collection) would you go for? THanks.

If I could, I would get BBC Orchestra core because you get $49 credit for having Discovery, making the price
$240....that gets you a step closer to the full version...or course you could just plunk down the $599 for the full
version...LOL

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TracingArcs said:

Very tempted by Albion V - Tundra (love me a bit of on the edge of silence). But NI summer sale is coming up and could get K12 to K13 upgrade and possibly Arkhis for the less than Tundra. Can only get one.......😪

Thundra is superb , will try to post some lofi tracks i used in , the world is delicate , for back ground movement and texture , but with spitfire ,  never judge the sound since it s always superb , but your ability to incirporate those in productions ;) 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Marc Cormier said:

There are some really cool Lanois-esque patches in Albion IV's eDNA instrument.  I considered it a bonus to Tundra and it made no difference in my decision to buy it.  Sure is a nice feature, though.

thanks. i will check out the demos.

So just curios, are Spitfire sort of like the NI of orchestral VIs for composers? I am comparing some of the Kontakt keys VIs between what Spitfire Sound Dust offers to what  SonicCouture does.

With Sonic, you get 3 for $200 which sort of adds up to $66 per VI.

With Spitfire you get 6 for $90 which adds up to $15 per VI.

I am not even sure this is a sane comparison. But just looking at it to get some idea of what the Spitfire ecosystem is all about.

https://www.soniccouture.com/en/products/g70-the-ancients/

Edited by telecode 101

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

If I could, I would get BBC Orchestra core because you get $49 credit for having Discovery, making the price
$240....that gets you a step closer to the full version...or course you could just plunk down the $599 for the full
version...LOL

I could, but there are so many interesting tools they are offering at discount, and of course the Abby Road One I bought (on a great tip from you, Larry) at discount has been extremely useful immediately and since I bought it a few months ago. So thinking about more variety--maybe the composer toolkit, or some more esoteric library--always looking for cinematic sounds and not just straight orchestral. Food for thought, though...

• Like 1

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used the BBC Symphony Core library. I recall some folk saying it had issues in Windows -- poor resource management or similar, and so glitchy and a major resource hog. I got the impression it was really only optimized for MacOS.

It certainly sounds nice, and that price is tempting, but I don't wanna get saddled with a library I can barely use.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has used the BBC Symphony Core library. I recall some folk saying it had issues in Windows -- poor resource management or similar, and so glitchy and a major resource hog. I got the impression it was really only optimized for MacOS.

It certainly sounds nice, and that price is tempting, but I don't wanna get saddled with a library I can barely use.

no idea. but i did notice Spitfire have their own forum on their site. If there are people complaining with issues on Windows, they will probably be there.

I have BBC Pro and to be honest it can be a bit demanding in terms of memory usage (and disc and CPU).  But Core and Discovery don't really suffer the zillion mic/zillion articulation eating all your computer resources problem as much though.  The Spitfire player has a kind of crazy loading resources issue.  It takes forever.  And (this actually bothers me more) it takes for ever to unload too(I guess they free all the memory they allocated in little tiny bits instead of giant blocks).  But most of the issues with using it, besides loading and exiting, have been fixed (more or less).  And with articulation maps it's really pretty nice. 

It has a great and usable sound, but it's not exactly very inspiring.  I have a lot more fun with the two Drama Toolkits (British Drama Toolkit and Contemporary Drama Toolkit) and Bernard Herrmann Composer Toolkit.  I also have found I'm a lot more fond of the Spitfire Solo Strings than using the solo instruments in BBC, which kind of surprised me. 

All of the Albion libraries are great, but having all six(some aren't available anymore) of them I rarely can remember which is which.  You should definitely watch/listen to the walk through on them, they are all pretty different.  Also don't buy more than one of any of these at a time.  I made that mistake, with a complete the collection deal, and I'm pretty sure it meant I've missed a lot of the rich detail in some of the Albions.  Which is maybe why I still see Albion ONE as the most useful.  Because I had it for a long time by itself.

Personally I really dislike eDNA Earth.  I has always been one of my regrets (it was the first Spitfire thing I bought a long time ago now).  And I'm not getting along so well with the swarm stuff either.  Something about the grid UI and I just don't mesh well.  But I'm guessing it's just me.  If you do get eDNA Earth I do recommend the Unfinished add-on.  It did make it better for me.

They will have better sales towards the end of the year.  Including a new Ton (which will be a good deal assuming you like/need what they bundle in it).  And they are likely to do the spend above so much and get this library we won't sell at all otherwise deal.  Might be best to hold off for those offers.  And again don't buy more than one if you can avoid it (bundle deals are kind of a curse and a blessing).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Thanks, Matt, really appreciate the info.

I'm a really heavy Albion ONE user, and I have Albion 2: Leogria which I pull out every now and then. Beyond that, I don't have a lot of interest in the other Albions aside from Tundra, which I may try to pick up next. 

BBC sounds amazing in the walk-thrus, but I have reservations about the Spitfire player. The quality of the samples is meaningless if the player can't keep up.

For any versions of BBC Orchestra, including Discover, I suggest buying Pluginguru Unify plugin to get their BBC Orchestra library they made for Unify. Hundreds of patches made with BBC inside of Unify takes this library yo a whole new level. I’m planning to upgrade Discovery to Core to get access to the extra patches made for it, but I’ll wait at BF.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yan Filiatrault said:

For any versions of BBC Orchestra, including Discover, I suggest buying Pluginguru Unify plugin to get their BBC Orchestra library they made for Unify. Hundreds of patches made with BBC inside of Unify takes this library yo a whole new level. I’m planning to upgrade Discovery to Core to get access to the extra patches made for it, but I’ll wait at BF.

Yep, Unify that mooderfooger!

Just now, telecode 101 said:

hmm.. i look and i research and i walk. this stuff is too rich for my tastes.

Their sales are the only time most of this is even close to affordable...
but the LABS freebies are a huge benefit of Spitfire...and the "niche" 
smaller libraries like the $29 ones, and the Abbey Road $49 ones...are pretty
nice for the money....

So far...I only have the freebies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Their sales are the only time most of this is even close to affordable...
but the LABS freebies are a huge benefit of Spitfire...and the "niche" 
smaller libraries like the $29 ones, and the Abbey Road $49 ones...are pretty
nice for the money....

So far...I only have the freebies

yeah.. I tried a few freebies. Not bad.