Melodyne installation

John Ward

I've been a Sonar user for years, then Cakewalk of course. Recently bought a new computer and have successfully downloaded Cakewalk and all add ons and got everything working. However, I when I fire up melodyne it asks me to register version 5 with a serial number. I've gone into my Melodyne account and there is only the serial number for Melodyne 4 essential. I tried that but got nowhere. Currently when I open Melodyne everything is greyed out. Tried searching on the forums here but haven't found the answer. Can anyone help?

Thanks

As a rule, when a user has a licensed version of Melodyne, they should use the version of Melodyne available in their Celemony account.

Unlike SONAR  X3 Studio/Producer and Professional/Platinum, CbB does not include a license for Melodyne. In fact Cakewalk only supplied one Melodyne license for each full version of their DAW. Upgrades from X3 did not include a second license. Users were expected to download Melodyne from their Celemony account.

CbB includes a time-limited trial version.

You can use the trial version and see if you want to purchase the upgrade or install the licensed version Melodyne from your Celemony account.

Many thanks for the information. It says this on the trial version - 

Installing the trial version will overwrite your existing Melodyne plug-ins. This is technically unavoidable, unfortunately, because for reasons of compatibility the Melodyne 5 plug-ins use the same plug-in ID and can therefore not be operated in parallel. The new trial version, however, will not affect your license or the stand-alone implementation of your existing Melodyne.

'When you have finished using the Melodyne 5 trial version, you can simply download from your user account the installation program for your previous Melodyne and reinstall it, thereby restoring your existing working environment.'

Do I understand it to mean that if I download the trial version , any melodyne edits I've made in older tracks will be lost? But then if I purchase version 5 I can download the old version too and things will be restored or can't 4 and 5 be on the same computer?

There can only be one version of Melodyne plug-ins installed on a PC at a time.

The standalone Melodyne programs reside in their own folders so multiple versions of these may be on the same PC.

You can use the trial of 5 if you wish and re-install 4 if you elect not to purchase 5.

FYI, there is a Melodyne sale going on through Jun 30 

I could not find any info about a free upgrade from Melodyne 4 Essential other than a grace period for those who registered after Mar 1 2020).

Purchasing an upgrade to Assistant is the cheapest solution ATM. The resellers in the link above have better prices than Celemony.

If it is in the budget, Editor is a better solution. It provides all the detection algorithms. The product comparison chart is here

My reading of the information quoted in the post suggested, re-installing 4 should put everything back as it was.

That said, I have not tried going back to version 4 from 5. This may be a question for Celemony support.

Many thanks scook, that helps clarify things for me. I think I'll buy 5 while it's on offer. I don't use Melodyne often but it's extremely handy sometimes. Just a little concerned that, if I ever want to go back and remix an old track where I used version 4,  5 won't work on it. 

Really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

I render all region FX clips in the session they are created in.

If you are concerned 

• Install 4
  • Go through the old projects and render the clips.
  • Then apply the upgrade to 5.

If you want a path to undo, always work on a copy of the track.

Scook, when they released 5 there was an upgrade path from 4 but not any more.

John, that's a pretty nice sale on Assistant (which I use on my vox) and Editor (which I'd like to be able to afford). So for $29 you can go from Essential to a way better product.

Just sayin' ...

Timbo

image.png