Offer an Effective 'Duplicate but Transpose' Option

Todd Groemling

Often I want to see if a part is enhanced by adding a note an octave lower or higher than an existing one AND having the the same start time.

Depending on the note's location and length, this involves many steps. But what if Cakewalk let a user right click on a note and choose a Duplicate Note and choose how it's transposed? What if that function allowed a user to choose a default setting. e.g., Octave Up? What if Cakewalk offered multiple default options? Octave Up, Octave Down, Make a major chord with this note as the root, Transpose 1/3, Transpose Down a 1/3, etc. 

6 hours ago, Todd Groemling said:

Often I want to see if a part is enhanced by adding a note an octave lower or higher than an existing one AND having the the same start time.

Depending on the note's location and length, this involves many steps. But what if Cakewalk let a user right click on a note and choose a Duplicate Note and choose how it's transposed? What if that function allowed a user to choose a default setting. e.g., Octave Up? What if Cakewalk offered multiple default options? Octave Up, Octave Down, Make a major chord with this note as the root, Transpose 1/3, Transpose Down a 1/3, etc. 

Sounds like something articulation Maps would be good at.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=EditingMIDI.51.html

• Great Idea 1

On 5/21/2021 at 4:10 PM, Todd Groemling said:

Yeah it's a good arrangement trick that I use often , you normally have to lower to velocities too as you go higher or they sound too loud.

I use a Streamdeck and have the steps programmed into a macro so it can be done at the push of a button but it would be nice to have a dedicated function ..maybe call it Copy & Transpose and have the regular Transpose box pop up so you can decide how many semitones to move it by and perhaps offer a velocity change in there too. 

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 12:27 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Erm..nope  - nothing to do with them at all

Why not?  This articulation will do exactly what the OP is requesting - i..e. play the original note plus an additional note an octave higher:

image.thumb.png.9e6a5b7d053b45e136f1c880759bc26c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Why not?  This articulation will do exactly what the OP is requesting - i..e. play the original note plus an additional note an octave higher:

You often need to finesse the velocities and even pull the notes forward or backwards so I'm not sure how much use it would be , I would want notes on the actual PRV 

Hmm... I appreciate the input. I will have to think more about what has been suggested and see if I can try that approach for now. Unfortunately, presuming what has been suggested works, it's too many steps. The whole point of my request is for Cakewalk programmers to make the workflow simpler by allowing the composer/arranger to get something done in less steps.

11 hours ago, Todd Groemling said:

Hmm... I appreciate the input. I will have to think more about what has been suggested and see if I can try that approach for now. Unfortunately, presuming what has been suggested works, it's too many steps. The whole point of my request is for Cakewalk programmers to make the workflow simpler by allowing the composer/arranger to get something done in less steps.

If you're using Articulation Maps, once you've imported/defined your map they're there forever. You just need to add it to your project. From then on you just draw the articulation over the parts where you want the notes repeated an octave higher. 

Right clicking the articulation and selecting "Apply Selected Articulations" will convert them into real notes allowing you to alter velocities etc, or you can right click on the header and apply the whole group or every articulation in the track.  

It really couldn't be any quicker.

I've attached the articulation map used in this video.

octave_articulation.gif

Also, there's no reason why you can't add extra articulations with a lower velocity - i.e.  "+ Octave Lower -16 vel"  so you don't even need to tweak them afterwards.  If you've defined lots of velocity variations, you can right click->Reassign to pick a different velocity version until you get it to what you want.

Add Extra Notes.artmap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1