Jump to content
cclarry

East West Memorial Day Sale

Recommended Posts

Anyone know whether this new Opus engine will eventually replace PLAY for older products, as well, or if it is just for new stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Anyone know whether this new Opus engine will eventually replace PLAY for older products, as well, or if it is just for new stuff?

I believe the older libraries do work in Opus...so only time will tell.

BTW...if East West follows true to form, and it is a replacement for Play, it will be free by the years end

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Larry. PLAY has always underwhelmed me, so will keep my fingers crossed.  Might pick up the pro expansion for my SD2, anyway, and check out Opus.  Or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems they’re saying the old Hollywood libraries don’t work with Opus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I signed up for Composer Cloud so I could give Opus a try, and see if the Opus Editions were anything to write home about. 

I quit before I got far enough to tell. To start with, the installation process was a huge fail, with most of the Opus editions refusing to install with the error message "Disk is full", even though it wasn't. To their credit, EastWest support was prompt in offering help -- and I appreciated that -- but their solution was byzantine: manually delete select product chunk files in the Program Data folder, download and unzip barebones installation folders (minus the actual sample data) from EastWest, "fake" install the libraries by asking the installer to find the location where these bare-bones installation folders are located, then uninstall the libraries via the installer, then reinstall the libraries from scratch using the installer. Sounds a bit confusing, but for what it's worth, it almost worked. I managed to get HW Brass Gold Opus Edition installed. I played around with it, concluded it sounded pretty much exactly the same as the original, and offered nothing I didn't already have in a bunch of other brass libraries.

I never did manage to get HW String Opus edition installed. I went through the kabuki-theatre process outlined above, and HW Strings Opus edition looked like it was installed, but refused to actually show up in the Opus player, no matter how many times I tried, re-tried and re-tried again. After two or three hours of downloading, installing, uninstalling, deleting, reinstalling, folder copying and (yes) drinking, I decided life was too short and just deleted the whole collection, cancelled my subscription and got on with my life. 

There was a time when I used the EastWest libraries quite a bit, but as my library collection got deeper, I began to shift away from their products -- I never really liked their granular patch setup, and their midi control setup, and I always thought Play was pretty awful. Possibly Opus may have changed my mind about that, but I'll never know.

As always, YMMV...

 

 

Edited by Amicus717
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

I signed up for Composer Cloud so I could give Opus a try, and see if the Opus Editions were anything to write home about. 

I quit before I got far enough to tell. To start with, the installation process was a huge fail, with most of the Opus editions refusing to install with the error message "Disk is full", even though it wasn't. To their credit, EastWest support was prompt in offering help -- and I appreciated that -- but their solution was byzantine: manually delete select product chunk files in the Program Data folder, download and unzip barebones installation folders (minus the actual sample data) from EastWest, "fake" install the libraries by asking the installer to find the location where these bare-bones installation folders are located, then uninstall the libraries via the installer, then reinstall the libraries from scratch using the installer. Sounds a bit confusing, but for what it's worth, it almost worked. I managed to get HW Brass Gold Opus Edition installed. I played around with it, concluded it sounded pretty much exactly the same as the original, and offered nothing I didn't already have in a bunch of other brass libraries.

I never did manage to get HW String Opus edition installed. I went through the kabuki-theatre process outlined above, and HW Strings Opus edition looked like it was installed, but refused to actually show up in the Opus player, no matter how many times I tried, re-tried and re-tried again. After two or three hours of downloading, installing, uninstalling, deleting, reinstalling, folder copying and (yes) drinking, I decided life was too short and just deleted the whole collection, cancelled my subscription and got on with my life. 

There was a time when I used the EastWest libraries quite a bit, but as my library collection got deeper, I began to shift away from their products -- I never really liked their granular patch setup, and their midi control setup, and I always thought Play was pretty awful. Possibly Opus may have changed my mind about that, but I'll never know.

As always, YMMV...

 

 

There were many bugs at launch, but EastWest already released many fixes in a short period of time, so hopefully it will work soon for those still having problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fleer said:

Seems they’re saying the old Hollywood libraries don’t work with Opus?

 

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I think it's only the pre-Opus Hollywood libraries that won't work in Opus.  Everything else does.

Confused by this,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me too. 
This is what I found at Best Service (in German):

”Hinweis: Die Opus Software Engine ist nicht mit den älteren Hollywood-Orchestra-Sektionen und Solo-Instrumenten kompatibel. Die Opus Software Engine ist auch nicht kompatibel mit der MIDI Guitar Serie. Diese Titel benötigen PLAY6.”

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fleer said:

”Hinweis: Die Opus Software Engine ist nicht mit den älteren Hollywood-Orchestra-Sektionen und Solo-Instrumenten kompatibel. Die Opus Software Engine ist auch nicht kompatibel mit der MIDI Guitar Serie. Diese Titel benötigen PLAY6.”

Yep, it says: not compatible with the older HO section or solo instruments and with MIDI guitar series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition is really just Hollywood Orchestra with some fixes and some new samples, but they want to charge $500 bucks for it.  So they had no choice but to make the new Opus player not work with the old libraries.  Otherwise no one in their right mind would pay $500.  They might pay $60-$100 for the Opus or buy a new library that comes with Opus (like this sale) and be very happy with the new engine and the old samples/libraries.  So they made the Opus player not work with old Hollywood Orchestra libraries.  It only works with the Opus Edition.  For their other libraries Opus Player works, except for the solo instruments which they bundled into Opus Edition and the guitars which I'm guessing doesn't work because of technical reasons.

I think.

At this point I don't really care.  I upgraded to HO Diamond a while back but oddly enough never use it.  There are still a couple of EW libraries I'd like to get, but they are now very long in the tooth.  Paying $500 more to make Diamond better is a huge ask.  I can't tell if the new Opus engine is better at the crazy not playing the release samples because it didn't load everything into memory issue that Play 6 has.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still guessing they’ll open up Opus to the old Hollywood libs in a year or so. 

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've yet to come across anyone praising the Opus stuff in any significant way, and lots of folks expressing disappointment. I was hoping it would be at least an interesting additional color to add to my library set, but judging by what limited experience I was able to get, they don't really offer anything revolutionary compared to EastWest's other libraries.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Larry's right if EW is true to form Opus will be free in 6 months.  I'll wait...
image.png.e63c9b48dccf9e9de921018eacddd1b8.png

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I picked up one of the Play libraries I still wanted (Voices of Passion) from Audio Deluxe.  Got the code to register it but don't see any sign of the free Opus license.  Perhaps that doesn't apply when buying from a re-seller?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

So I picked up one of the Play libraries I still wanted (Voices of Passion) from Audio Deluxe.  Got the code to register it but don't see any sign of the free Opus license.  Perhaps that doesn't apply when buying from a re-seller?

Most likely they deposit a license in iLok...I already have it installed since release, but it's unlicensed,
so I have to his "quit" every time iLok tells me it's unlicensed.

Anyways, it should be installable through the Installation Center

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cclarry said:

Most likely they deposit a license in iLok...I already have it installed since release, but it's unlicensed,
so I have to his "quit" every time iLok tells me it's unlicensed.

Anyways, it should be installable through the Installation Center

That's what I was thinking too, but nope.  Nothing in installation center and nothing in my iLok account.  Just like you I can (and did) install Opus but it won't let me license it.  I sent EW a note, will see what they say.

This was one of the libraries I used a lot during the year I had Composer Cloud and can't work with any of those projects anymore (yes I rendered them to audio so it's not the end of the world but Play is not very friendly when you don't have a library anymore).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

Looks like Koby is no longer an EW vendor.

I noticed that too, which now makes JRR shop the place to buy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...