Unable to export project to desktop...digital hash!!

I finished a mix of a clients project and tried to export it to the desktop using, as I always do, audible bounce but could never get it to play more than a 1/4 way through before the program locked up and started generating loud digital hash...forcing me to ctrl/alt/delete and end Cakewalk in the the task manager.  I tried replacing some more power hungry plugs...that I use all the time...to no avail.  My buffers were set to 4096 which should be way more than enough headroom to handle the project.

While mixing I played back the project multiple times with no issues at all...only failed when trying to export.  

Any clues???

That is weird, something I associate with a program/interface sample rate mismatch, but it also sounds like you probably have that dialed in. Fire up Task Manager and see what else is going on when you try to do this.

Not saying it's responsible, but it's best practice to exclude your audio folders from malware scanning, Windows Defender in "realtime" mode will scan every file you read or write unless you tell it not to. Same with other resident anti-malware programs.

Another thing that comes to mind: how long is the project? Are you rendering a song at a time or a whole EP/album? Is it possible that some part of your system is going into a low-power state during the process? I have a little program called Don'tSleep that I run when I need to do long renders.

Sounds a bit like what I've seen when attempting render direct to MP3  in real time. If rendering to MP3, definitely use Fast bounce. If rendering to .WAV either use Fast Bounce or try a more 'middling' buffer size like 1024 if the system can handle it.  But could still be a plug-in; try disabling anything in the project that you don't use regularly.

I'd be inclined to suspect the fault lies with a plugin. At least, that's been the case every time I've ever solved a bounce/export problem by switching to/from slow bounce. For me it's always turned out to be a virtual instrument, although I can imagine scenarios wherein any processor could end up with corrupt buffers (e.g. things with big buffers such as reverbs and linear-phase equalizers).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply...and thanks for all the suggestions...I've got some time this weekend to investigate...will keep you posted.

(and try your suggestions) 🙂

PS:  I gotta start remembering to get notified when somebody replies...I'm such a dunce.

Edited by Steve Patrick