How to see waveform after EQ/compression/effects have been applied

5 minutes ago, Michael Martinez said:

Well, the length of attacks and stuff becomes clear looking at the waveforms

Yes, indeed, and although some of us have mentioned SPAN, it will not show you that sort of thing as it is a spectrum analyser. What it really helps me with is keeping an "eye" on my low end, which headphones and even my nearfields are not that good at, and I can't afford to splash out on a decent set of nearfields at the moment.

One thing I like to do is upload my current "work in progress" piece to SoundCloud, which I can then "cast" to me Android TV and therefore listen on my Pioneer sound system. That really does help give me a good idea of any problem areas, low end, mid resonances, that kind of thing.

37 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Yes, indeed, and although some of us have mentioned SPAN, it will not show you that sort of thing as it is a spectrum analyser. What it really helps me with is keeping an "eye" on my low end, which headphones and even my nearfields are not that good at, and I can't afford to splash out on a decent set of nearfields at the moment.

One thing I like to do is upload my current "work in progress" piece to SoundCloud, which I can then "cast" to me Android TV and therefore listen on my Pioneer sound system. That really does help give me a good idea of any problem areas, low end, mid resonances, that kind of thing.

Would you mind making a critique of my mix here: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/2983-please-critique-this-mix-grey-skies/

I'd welcome any suggestions you have.

I would strongly recommend that you import a high quality "wave file "  of a suitable and similar mix that you respect. Just simply AB ing  against a good mix is really helpful - because everything is in context to your monitoring situation except of course for your final mastering stage : this at least gives you a valid reference.  Keep in mind that final mastering really brings it all together - so be sure to bypass any mastering effects while referencing the import.

Ok- after listening to your mix - I think you're definitely on the right track - nice arraignment which is 90 % of any song IMO. Just for a 1st impression opinion - back off about 4db on the bass and raise the snare and kick slightly.   I'm just listening on half decent headphones for what that's worth.  Nice song - I think the vocals are great.

3 hours ago, RBH said:

Ok- after listening to your mix - I think you're definitely on the right track - nice arraignment which is 90 % of any song IMO. Just for a 1st impression opinion - back off about 4db on the bass and raise the snare and kick slightly.   I'm just listening on half decent headphones for what that's worth.  Nice song - I think the vocals are great.

Thanks. You're referring to "Grey Skies and Blue Waters", or to "Good night, moon"?

I'll be honest I've been screwing around with the mix the past couple hours. Not a good thing - lol - I've undoubtedly made it worse.

Sigh .... I wish I knew what I was doing.

Edited by Michael Martinez

Another option, if you want to compare the waveforms in non-real time: 

1. Duplicate the track.
  2. Render the effect on the duplicate track, but not on the original one.

If you want to see a spectrum analyzer view in real time:

1. In the track with the audio and the compressor, open up the QuadCurve flyout (it defaults to pre-FX Rack; change if necessary). Turn on the QuadCurve, but don't turn up any gain controls.
  2. Solo this track. Now you'll see the spectrum analysis for the pre-compressor audio
  3. Open the QuadCurve flyout in the master output bus.  Turn on the QuadCurve, but don't turn up any gain controls. This will show the spectrum analysis for the post-compressor audio.
  4. Compare the two QuadCurves flyouts.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:54 PM, John Nelson said:

Most dynamic processors have a gain reduction meter.  To visualize by means of a waveform... is highly unorthodox, not something mixers typically do.

And in the end the advice is always to use your ears and not your eyes.

+1 , Fabfilter Pro C and L and their EQ's all have before and after waveform views. for me, i tend to just listen to it.

For me, I do not care what it looks like. If it sounds good, its good to go! It can look like anything and it wouldn't bother me

21 hours ago, Michael Martinez said:

Thanks. You're referring to "Grey Skies and Blue Waters", or to "Good night, moon"?

I'll be honest I've been screwing around with the mix the past couple hours. Not a good thing - lol - I've undoubtedly made it worse.

Sigh .... I wish I knew what I was doing.

I was listening to Grey Skies - and for what it's worth  " screwing it up is where all the fun lives " Who needs anything actually finished   -sheeesh.