Melodyne/Upgrade Sale

cclarry

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

Melodyne may become a thing of the past since some DAWs have something similar,

It seems to me most of them that really have that kind of functionality are using Melodyne in the background to do it.

Ex - tempo mapping from an audio file in Cakewalk, Audio to MIDI in Cakewalk both require Melodyne to be installed to work.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

It seems to me most of them that really have that kind of functionality are using Melodyne in the background to do it.

Ex - tempo mapping from an audio file in Cakewalk, Audio to MIDI in Cakewalk both require Melodyne to be installed to work.

Not in Live.  They have their own.

7 hours ago, Marshall said:

At last! Guess it’s time to upgrade Studio 4 to 5 if I’m ever going to do it!

1 hour ago, Michael Docy said:

Me too. I'm going to get it.

Yep. I did it too!!

if upgrading from essentials or assistant to studio at everyplugin, making a rest stop at editor might be little cheaper.

Edit: I should not have used a metaphor. I mean upgrading essentials to editor and then editor to studio in two steps.

In that case it is $167*2=$334 instead of $376, possibly

Edited by mister_tea

I wish I could jump on this, but due to old hardware, I'm trapped at win8.1 and when I asked them for opinions of attempting to install on anything older than win10 is uncertain (as opposed to unsupported) and I stuck with 4.x that time as recommended by the tech. Policy?

Does anyone know if it will install and operate on win8.1 though "unsupported "?

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Keni said:

I wish I could jump on this, but due to old hardware, I'm trapped at win8.1 and when I asked them for opinions of attempting to install on anything older than win10 is uncertain (as opposed to unsupported) and I stuck with 4.x that time as recommended by the tech. Policy?

Does anyone know if it will install and operate on win8.1 though "unsupported "?

Thanks 

Don't they have a trial version?

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Don't they have a trial version?

Thanks for the idea, but this machine is too unusual for me to take a chance. It was gifted to me and far beyond my ability to replace so I stick with it until such time as bang4buck brings me this kind of power (or better) within my reach.

MacPro dual 6 core xeon processors 3.06Ghz (12 cores) 64G RAM and huge dual radeon video cards though un-necessary for CbB...

Hmmm... just thinking I wonder the current cost of v4 editor to studio upgrade (if available). I’ll have to take a look.

Edited by Keni

50 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

$57.95 to update Editor from 4 to 5. Is it worth it? Have you, guys, noticed a significant improvement of v5 over v4?

The only thing I have noticed is that in CbB Melodyne often jumps to different positions and it is very annoying always to scroll to the contents.

And the new functions "levelling" and "noise/pitched recognition" are not that convincing IMO. The "more musical analysis of pitch deviations" is almost not noticable, the recognition of vocal notes is still very poor if it is not simple like in choir voices.

Thus I don't know whether it was really valuable to upgrade for me. It sounded much better than it really is (especially the latter).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

$57.95 to update Editor from 4 to 5. Is it worth it? Have you, guys, noticed a significant improvement of v5 over v4?

I think a more valuable upgrade is from Editor to Studio. Imo, it's a real game changer to be able to see and edit multiple tracks in the same view.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluzdog said:

I think a more valuable upgrade is from Editor to Studio. Imo, it's a real game changer to be able to see and edit multiple tracks in the same view.

I thought that this would be a game changer too. But for me I haven't really used that feature much to get any benefit out of it.

3 hours ago, marled said:

And the new functions "levelling" and "noise/pitched recognition" are not that convincing IMO. The "more musical analysis of pitch deviations" is almost not noticable, the recognition of vocal notes is still very poor if it is not simple like in choir voices.

I had heard this was worth the upgrade!! Haven't gotten to use it yet since I just got it. Man I hope I am not gonna regret this upgrade. I put off buying other things to get this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grem said:

I had heard this was worth the upgrade!! Haven't gotten to use it yet since I just got it. Man I hope I am not gonna regret this upgrade. I put off buying other things to get this.

Ahhh, the levelling is usable if you don't have something else! But I prefer to do levelling either visually with CbB (clip gain automation) or with DynaRide of TBProAudio.

The problem with Melodyne is that you do not have a good audio representation IMO. The blobs are too fuzzy regarding loudness level and note starts (to me it looks more like in a comic book). You have almost no visual assistance, all must be done by ear! And you surely know how quickly you forget the loudness level after a part of the song has passed! 😆

Also it's difficult to find the real note starts in complex audio material like vocals/synth pads and this makes quantization very difficult. Some time ago I quantized a lot with Melodyne, but when I found out that it is 1000 times easier to find the meant note starts of a vocalist in the zoomed in wave form, then I began to work with AudioSnap or Stretch Markers of Reaper.

12 hours ago, marled said:

Ahhh, the levelling is usable if you don't have something else! But I prefer to do levelling either visually with CbB (clip gain automation)

Yes, agreed. I do this now.

All that I really have found that I use Melodyne for is note correction for vocals, every now and then a guitar part. And audio to midi conversion.

Not saying or suggesting that Melodyne is a bad product, far from that. It is a great product that I want to use. Just not really that excited about the upgrade this time around.

• Like 1