End of the Cakewalk Road for me?

3 hours ago, MisterX said:

Guys, John B is absolutely right. This whole security paranoia has to end, eventually!
if you're concerned about your privacy and online safety of your audio workstations there's a couple of tricks and rules to follow. So, all you have to do is:

1. Install 900 microsoft security patches to your system and keep updating 150 times a year, at least untill 2025
2. Set firewall rules for hundreds of various programs and plugins (+ check their efficiency everytime you set them).
3. Tweak your OS settings to prevent dozens of potential privacy leaks
4. Get a strong antivirus protection aqainst millions of security threats
5. Keep checking regularly if all those settings, tweaks and rules didn't change due to system updates, as well as to software or human errors
6. Make sure your network drivers are up to date
7. Backup your system daily, just in case:

a) some of your software or drivers don't work as expected after next Microsoft update
b) your system gets compromised despite strong protectiom measures

8. Make sure you don't login to Widows with your refrigerator password

Sure, for some lazy growlers out there even these few simple steps won't be worth the hassle, since they stubbornly claim that offline way is the easier and safer one, but hey - modern approach to cybersecurity is to accept the challenges, not to avoid them! So don't be a cowardly computer redneck, don't go offline, It's so 90's...

More Reductio ad absurdum

Can't believe five pages were wasted discussing the periodic connection to the internet as being dangerous , when simply posting his position probably satisfied a refresh of his software activation. Maybe will be back online in six months. 

49 minutes ago, mettelus said:

Armageddon threads with the threat to abandon CW typically get the most reviews and posts with or without an OP. Social media at its finest!

In spite of everything there has to be some reason for this in CW! 😉

19 hours ago, mettelus said:

Armageddon threads with the threat to abandon CW typically get the most reviews and posts with or without an OP. Social media at its finest!

I think what people are concerned about is not where Cakewalk is now, but that possibly the direction they might go in is toward a cloud-based app. so you would need to be online to use it. I see no evidence that things are moving in that direction. but I understand the concern, as so many other things are going in that direction.

• Great Idea 1

On 19 mai 2021 at 7:48 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@NoelBrutonMusic your concerns are unfounded. You do not need bandlab’s permission every time you use the application. Where did you read that information?  This is how it works:

• You sign in to BandLab to activate the software once when you first install it
  • Activation is required generally once every 6 months unless something drastic changes on your system like you changed the version of windows or something. 
  • In the latest release it refreshes your activation lease automatically when needed to save the user from unexpected discovery of a timeout
  • The lease is automatically renewed when you log in to BandLab, when you install a new version of the software and of course if its about to expire. This only happens if there is an internet connection available.
  • If you don’t want your system to be online you have to handle activation manually using the offline activation workflow.
  • Previously BandLab assistant was used for activation. This changed in the 2020.11 release and everything is done inside CbB now which makes things much simpler for the user. Now users only need to sign in ONCE to Cakewalk and from that point activation is handled automatically when needed as long as you don’t sign out of BandLab of course.

Its as unobtrusive as it gets and very standard to how everyone in the industry does this.
The changes were in fact made to improve things for users who got the activation timeout messages. 

My main daw is running W7 which, as you did answerme, does notsupport login within cakewalk. But it worked with the BLAssistant....I can live withat.....

With the "refresh activation after installing an update instead of waitibg for 6 month" approach does this means that fromnow on I will have to launch the assistant to emulate this behavior?

Mario

Mario, the refresh activation after an update is simply a convenience so that it does it automatically for the user. It is not a requirement so if a login prompt appears you can skip it and the app will continue with its current activation status.

That said we have tested login and it works fine in Windows 7 on multiple machines. So you may want to look into why it is not working on your PC. The only reason we know of is that the Microsoft webview component is not properly installed. You can install it manually and login should work fine. Retest it in the latest 2021.04 release since there have been fixes for some issues there.

On 5/22/2021 at 3:27 PM, MisterX said:

Guys, John B is absolutely right. This whole security paranoia has to end, eventually!
if you're concerned about your privacy and online safety of your audio workstations there's a couple of tricks and rules to follow. So, all you have to do is:

1. Install 900 microsoft security patches to your system and keep updating 150 times a year, at least untill 2025
2. Set firewall rules for hundreds of various programs and plugins (+ check their efficiency everytime you set them).
3. Tweak your OS settings to prevent dozens of potential privacy leaks
4. Get a strong antivirus protection aqainst millions of security threats
5. Keep checking regularly if all those settings, tweaks and rules didn't change due to system updates, as well as to software or human errors
6. Make sure your network drivers are up to date
7. Backup your system daily, just in case:
 8. Never ever connect to the internet, or download anything and use a Banjo to create music.

Fixed that for you.

8 hours ago, Zaquria said:

Fixed that for you.

Damn, I don't have a banjo! Would you lend me yours?  😜

But seriously, as for network activities - believe it or not - there are other solutions in existence, so there's no need to use your audio workstation to do the job. This could be laptops, tablets or even phones. You may also run systems from Live CD's or from a multiboot disk. In a desktop (or better yet - tower) environment you may swap multiple systems installed on removable disks, thanks to mobile racks mounted in drive bays. Also disk cloning may be an option for some.

Are you following the point, Mr. Scruggs?