All times Cakewalk::.

MarianoGF

I bought a used Roland D10 in 1989 and wanted a sequencer to record my ideas.  My father bought me Cakewalk 2.0 (i think) on my brothers suggestion. The idea was also for my father to use it for printing sheet music,  but the notation part was complicated to use (and maybe looked ugly) so he got a notation program for it.

After that I got a version with purple frame (Cakewalk 5?) -> Pro Audio9 -> SONAR 6 -> X1 -> X2 -> X3 -> SPlat -> CbB. Before X1 I just updated when I got a new computer.

Before Pro Audio 9 I just recorded MIDI from my D10 (later got a JV-2080). I joined the CW forum in 2012 and regret that I didn't find it earlier, because a lot of tech stuff, mixing/mastering could have been learned at an earlier stage.

The earliest .wrk I still have left is from -97, but I have 50+ tunes recorded on cassette tape. Which is fine enough, because some of the ideas where interesting, but the arrangements were crap. 🤣

I lied when I said I started out on CW3.0... actually my first experience with MIDI was with Band-in-a-Box and it's sister, Power Tracks Pro.  I bought a Roland Rap-10 sound card which was so amazing for it's time.  I remember paying about $300.00 for it.

I also bought a Yamaha something or another -120 four track cassette recorder.  I remember that being about $500.00.  Oh... let's not forget my Roland PC-200 MK 2 MIDI keyboard controller which was around $200.00.  I still use it.

I bought a Zoom Studio 1202 effects unit - again, about $300.00 - I still have it in a drawer somewhere.   It's never used.

I switched to Cakewalk v3 after hearing it and seeing it for the first time.  I can't remember how much I paid for it.  I kept upgrading until I got to v8.5.  I used it until Sonar Platinum hit the shelves.  I'm now using BbB.  As a side note, I do think that 8.5 was one of the best versions put out.  Steady as heck.

Looking back, I can't believe that I spent a fortune in the beginning just to get myself able to work strictly in MIDI.  And it was only GM MIDI on top of it all.  This all started in about 1992/93  Ah yes, those were the days.

/OM

19 hours ago, James Argo said:

I did. Voyetra's Master Track Pro was bundled with some thick Computer Music book I got on close out back in 93 in bay area. Since I started MIDI sequencing with Voyetra's Sequencer Plus for DOS, Master Track Pro was my first Windows sequencer. The book has it's own chapter about Cakewalk 2.0 for Windows. Then I switched to Cakey when Greg released Cakewalk Pro 3.0 for Windows.

Very cool.  That was my first Windows sequencer too - about 1991, I think.  I ran it on a 286 with a full MB of RAM and a limitless 20 MB hard drive.  I don't remember the manual.  Wonder why it mentioned Cakewalk?  I started with Cakewalk 3.0 around '93 or '94 when I got my 75Mhz AST computer from Costco with color monitor and Windows 3.  I was in heaven.  Time flies when you're having fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRainbow said:

I don't even want to think about all my investments in music and computer gear that had to be replaced every year or two as technology progressed.  Glad I had a day job.

As I said earlier in an earlier post,  I have decided to dump all my ancient gear, grab a helmet and get with the program. 🤣  I now use SampleTank 3 and 4.  I now use Addictive Drums.  And for the meantime this is all I need to do what I want to do with my music.

Funny thing is, the cost for catching up with the times has cost me WAY less than the money I put out years ago for all the gear I thought I needed to make music.  Also, factor in the money I put out back then in "today's dollars."  I could have bought a house with it.  😄

/OM

Like Bapu I started with Voyetra Sequencer Plus in DOS.  Joined up to Cakewalk in version 2.0 and have been there ever since.

As to the original question asked... looks and logo's are all relevant to the 'time'.   Being mostly a keys player, I like the first one with a keyboard and the brand of Twelve Tone'.  At that would hold true in western Culture.

On 4/13/2019 at 5:31 AM, Oscar Myer said:

Funny thing is, the cost for catching up with the times has cost me WAY less than the money I put out years ago for all the gear I thought I needed to make music.  Also, factor in the money I put out back then in "today's dollars."  I could have bought a house with it.

Exactly.  And the quality level of what we can produce now with far less gear is just amazing.  And like Cakewalk, pretty soon all the great stuff will be FREE!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BRainbow said:

Exactly.  And the quality level of what we can produce now with far less gear is just amazing.  And like Cakewalk, pretty soon all the great stuff will be FREE!

Geez... sure hope that I'll live to see the day to see quality stuff going for free!!!  🤣

But, 25 or more years ago I never thought I would see a full version of Cakewalk being given away for no charge.  So I guess anything is possible.  😀

/OM