All times Cakewalk::.

MarianoGF

That was the logo on the first version I bought - Pro Audio 7.  I was swapping between Cakewalk Express / Music-X (Amiga) before then.

I think Pro Audio 7 was the debut for that logo:

image.png.2ba5b06fe0c372bb9cff2cca345eb2df.png

Before that it looked like this:

image.png.ab337b074bf15e0804a47523e206bb1b.png

I must admit though, I personally prefer the current logo.

• Like 1

Oscar!  That really brings back the memories.  I think my first version was 3.5.  How fun was it when MS-DOS transformed unto Windows and we started having these cool programs that actually had graphics - just like those snooty Apple nerds.

But, like Razor7,  my favorite is still the yellow walking feet.  I was just wearing my Cakewalk shirt today: 

1 hour ago, BRainbow said:

Oscar!  That really brings back the memories.  I think my first version was 3.5.  How fun was it when MS-DOS transformed unto Windows and we started having these cool programs that actually had graphics - just like those snooty Apple nerds.

Yes... Windows opened up a brand new world for us!!!  But... do you remember that when you booted up it was in MS-DOS and you had to type C:/win to boot up Windows.  Wasn't that technology at it's best? 😁

Here's another one you might remember:

Cakewalk_Professional_v3.01004.jpg

9 hours ago, msmcleod said:

That was the logo on the first version I bought - Pro Audio 7.  I was swapping between Cakewalk Express / Music-X (Amiga) before then.

I was using DR. T Midi on a Commodore 64 and Bars & Pipes on an Amiga 2000. Those were the days and then Cakewalk came along and things have never truly been the same (in the best possible way).

i still have a J.L. Cooper SMPTE to MIDI clock adapter if anyone is interested? 😎

Edited by Simeon Amburgey

20 minutes ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

I was using DR. T Midi on a Commodore 64 and Bars & Pipes on an Amiga 2000. Those were the days and then Cakewalk came along and things have never truly been the same (in the best possible way).

i still have a J.L. Cooper SMPTE to MIDI clock adapter if anyone is interested? 😎

Yep... I had a Commodore 64 as well.  But it wasn't my first computer.  That would be the Timex Sinclair.  It was about as big as a calculator.  I'd buy the magazine every month and type in all the code.  I did the same with the Commodore.  It would take hours and most times I made a mistake and had to go over it with a fine tooth comb to fix it.  Ah yes... those were the days.  😊

When I moved from 4 track (Yamaha MT1X) to 8 track (Yamaha MT8X) I used the JLCooper PPS-100, just cos it was the only one available 2nd hand at the time. I remember it blew me away when I fast forwarded half way through a song and it just played exactly on time. I did find it worked best with an Alesis DataDisk though, rather than with a computer based sequencer.

On the 4 track, I just played guitar live alongside the "live" keyboards coming from MIDI. This gave me a track for vocals, and another for backing vocals/guitar solo. I'd put effects on the vocals on mix-down.

I didn't really bother with audio in the box until Pro Audio 7 came out, which I bought because it supported the DS2416.

Here you go - the original manual:  I bought version one (30 years ago) from a music store that sold it to me without a manual.  I ended up talking to Greg Hendershot (spelling), as he called me on the phone to find out why I needed a manual . . .  Long story short,  he sent me a manual and this is from the original Cakewalk program.

Part of history now . . .  (BTW - This is a pic of my manual from today)

Cakewalk_manual.jpg.ffd5f7de7a8561a710eedbbe4313a3cd.jpg

Edited by Syphus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As can be seen, this topic which started as a discussion about "the best Cakewalk logo", converted itself in a better thing: sharing memories, experiences and pictures of the early years of Cakewalk. So I think it's a good oportunity to change its name. Thanks::.

• MarianoGF changed the title to All times Cakewalk::.
23 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

At the risk of giving my age away... this is what I started out on.  Cakewalk 3.0

Cakewalk_Professional_v3.01003.jpg

I monkeyed with this! You could add wav files in as triggered events. If windows smartdrv.exe disk cache was loaded, an absolute must, then the first run of the .wav file would be late but subsequent plays would spool the audio right on time, every time. If smartdrv.exe was not loaded then windows would be unsuitably slow on a 386sx but the above issue was not there anymore.  We are downright spoiled today. That's why I rarely complain, too much.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:12 AM, BRainbow said:

Did anyone else ever use MasterTracks Pro?  That was my first Windows PC sequencer, before I discovered Cakewalk.

I did. Voyetra's Master Track Pro was bundled with some thick Computer Music book I got on close out back in 93 in bay area. Since I started MIDI sequencing with Voyetra's Sequencer Plus for DOS, Master Track Pro was my first Windows sequencer. The book has it's own chapter about Cakewalk 2.0 for Windows. Then I switched to Cakey when Greg released Cakewalk Pro 3.0 for Windows.

My second MIDI sequencer was Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold. I had something else first (I can't recall the name).

Synced SPG to my Tascam 80-8 then later to 3xADAT Black Face.

Then I started with Cakewalk Pro Audio 4 and purchased every upgrade all the way to the end of line, only skipping SONAR 2 (but my son owned SONAR 2).

On 4/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, Oscar Myer said:

At the risk of giving my age away... this is what I started out on.  Cakewalk 3.0

Cakewalk_Professional_v3.01003.jpg

Yeah so between 1992-2000ish that was my life!  I locked my laptop with a 20 meg hard drive to a discarded 3/4" video machine and a broken 13in TV that tuned into only channel 3 (luckily the same channel that came out of the video machine) ....I made enough money composing to picture with that rig I moved into a nice neighborhood and sent two kids to college.   That app locked to picture faster than anything at the time.  It had the frame rate I needed that was not available on other sequencers.   I thought it was all I ever needed. I kinda miss the 100 hour weeks I spent on it.