Repeatable crash when exporting audio to Mycloud mapped network drive

jandlab

When attempting to export  MP3 audio, as soon as I scroll down through my drive locations and my WD Mycloud mapped z: drive becomes visible, cakewalk crashes. 

I exported my project when not scrolling down in the file explorer.

To verify the issue, I loading the exported MP3 and straight away with nothing more than the audio file in track 1, I tried to export again and Cakewalk crashed as soon as the z: drive became visible.

My dump file is larger than the allowed file size.

WD created the mapped drive during set up. I'm not sure how I would disable it temporarily and if I did I don't know what we would learn. I can export projects as long as I do not scroll so that the mapped drive is visible.

It may not be a standard mapped drive, my backup software doesn't see it. Z: is mapped to my 'private' part of the drive but I have had to use the 'public' folder via network to store my backup.

1 hour ago, jandlab said:

I rebooted and repeated the issue, one audio track, no plugins.  WAV selected this time, no file name.

Dmp is attached. This was my first export since the Mycloud drive was installed.

Untitled_05182021_133526.dmp 3.99 MB · 0 downloads

Based on what I can glean out of your dump file, it's crashing in the kernelbase after doing a bunch of stuff related to the WD Desktop App. I'm guessing that's what's likely having an issue. Also, make sure you get the latest Cakewalk build (175) as that has had some changes to the error handling that are not as aggressive as the previous release (build 144).

• Thanks 1

This is an interesting case. You were running in build 144 which had the strict error checking enabled by default.

It turns out that you have a shell extension that ends up generating a read access violation when displaying an icon. Our handler caught it and reported it. However it seems like the Windows shell handles this problem internally and thus the end user would normally not see this issue. Its a few issues like this which are the downside of doing the strict error checking so I disabled it by default from the main release. In the next release we may consider logging issues like this rather than reporting them via the crash dialog since its impossible for us to tell whether a given access violation exception is benign or not. Some are not and can cause the app to shut down and lead to data loss!

In any case you shouldn't see this in the latest build anymore.

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF860764B89 (KERNELBASE.dll) in Untitled_05182021_133526.dmp: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.

KERNELBASE.dll!RaiseException()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     [Managed to Native Transition]        Annotated Frame
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no binaries loaded for kda.dll]        Annotated Frame
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no binaries loaded for kda.dll]        Annotated Frame
     [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no binaries loaded for SharpShell.dll]        Annotated Frame
     [Native to Managed Transition]        Annotated Frame
     shell32.dll!CFSIconOverlayManager::_GetFileOverlayInfo()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     shell32.dll!CFSIconOverlayManager::GetFileOverlayInfo(unsigned short const *,unsigned long,int *,unsigned long)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CDrivesFolder::_GetIconOverlayInfo(struct IDDRIVE const *,int *,unsigned long)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CDrivesFolder::GetOverlayIndex(struct _ITEMID_CHILD const *,int *)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CRegFolder::GetOverlayIndex(struct _ITEMID_CHILD const *,int *)    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CIconOverlayTask::DispatchTasks()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CIconOverlayTask::InternalResumeRT()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CRunnableTask::Run()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CShellTask::TT_Run()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CShellTaskThread::ThreadProc()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     windows.storage.dll!CShellTaskThread::s_ThreadProc()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     SHCore.dll!ExecuteWorkItemThreadProc()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlpTpWorkCallback()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!TppWorkerThread()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.
     ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart()    Unknown    Non-user code. Symbols loaded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1