Cakewalk possibly causing vst reset

I have already posted about this issue in the Native Instruments forum but no one seems to be able to help me and it doesn't seem to be a problem others are experiencing with the latest version.

Basically every time I load a project, if there were any instances of Massive X they would all be reset to init, meaning I lose all the work I've done tweaking each instrument. I only have this problem with Massive X but I'm wondering if there is a setting in Cakewalk that could be causing this information not to be saved. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just now, Michael Reynolds said:

@Noel Borthwick Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "reference test project". Should I upload my project here?

Yes, I am using the latest version of Cakewalk and Massive X.

This issue happens even if I only have a single track in the entire project, as long as that track is an instance of Massive X.

yes, can you please upload either the .cwp or a link to the project via dropbox/google drive, etc. You can also PM Noel and/or myself with the link with the details if you don't want to attach to the public thread.

• 7 months later...

This has been happening to me intermittently for years using Korg M1 and Roland JV.  In fact it is happening right now using the M1.  Every time I reopen the project, the sound I chose is gone and it defaults back to the default sound, Universe, which is over the top, reverb drenched lush sounds. The last thing I need for this song.

Edited by TVR PRODUCTIONS

18 hours ago, TVR PRODUCTIONS said:

This has been happening to me intermittently for years using Korg M1 and Roland JV.  In fact it is happening right now using the M1.  Every time I reopen the project, the sound I chose is gone and it defaults back to the default sound, Universe, which is over the top, reverb drenched lush sounds. The last thing I need for this song.

Just tried it here with the Korg M1 (both with the plugin GUI open and with it closed).  It's recalling the correct preset in both circumstances.

Double check you've not got MIDI output enabled on any other VSTi's.  If there's another MIDI or Instrument track routing to the M1 / JV that is set to program #0, this could be the cause.

You should also check the input routing of the M1 / JV tracks.  If they're set to OMNI or None and there's another track outputting MIDI with program change set to #0, this will also cause this issue if the M1 is the active track when loading.

7 hours ago, Michael Reynolds said:

The only workaround I have found is to delete the Massive X folder at this file path before launching Cakewalk. You must do it every time before launching Cakewalk or Massive X will be reset again.

C:\Users\owner\AppData\Local\Native Instruments

This sounds like it's likely something specific to Massive X on your system. I just confirmed it loads normally on our end.

If deleting a plugin settings folder/file fixes it for you, it's likely something you'll need to address with NI directly. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2022 at 10:03 AM, msmcleod said:

Just tried it here with the Korg M1 (both with the plugin GUI open and with it closed).  It's recalling the correct preset in both circumstances.

Double check you've not got MIDI output enabled on any other VSTi's.  If there's another MIDI or Instrument track routing to the M1 / JV that is set to program #0, this could be the cause.

You should also check the input routing of the M1 / JV tracks.  If they're set to OMNI or None and there's another track outputting MIDI with program change set to #0, this will also cause this issue if the M1 is the active track when loading.

I must be stupid because, as helpful as your post sounds, I am lost. I do not see any way to check midi out on my vsts. If I look in the pro channel, there is no midi outs there either. What am I missing?

image.png

• 6 months later...

@Michael Reynolds, were you able to find a solution? I've been experiencing the same thing on my brand new PC, with fresh installs of cakewalk and massive (all versions are up-to-date),

with NI tech support we've been doing all sorts of installs/uninstalls/reinstalls to no avail...

I found that if in the folder you listed I just delete content.db (before starting cakewalk) this does the trick too.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I think I found something, potentially a bug in cakewalk, related to the "EnablePluginCancelButton" as per "Cakewalk - Cakewalk Documentation - Cakewalk.ini" ... i.e.: a bug related to how some very complex plugins are initialized?

I noticed that Massive X remembers the preset when it's the only track in the project... However, the more MIDI tracks I add, the more likely massive X  is to "forget" and reset to init. Frustratingly enough there is not a simple number of tracks that throws everything off... I can only say more than 7 MIDI tracks, - more likely it is to cause issues...

(I double checked, and this is not related to my other MIDI gear sending stray messages: I can turn everything off, and turn my cakewalk without any MIDI gear, and massive will still reset ... most of the time. This behaviour is seemingly related to number of MIDI tracks and how complex they are (i.e. in/out assignments vs omni)

workaround:

So with the EnablePluginCancelButton set to 1, in the property window of massive you now have a little VST "cancel" button in the upper right corner (next to the "pin", right below the close window button).

1. (I saved my project with the massive x property window opened, prominently showing my preset - angelic sprites)
  2. I start cakewalk and re-open my project
  3.  I see my original massive X preset briefly, (see top picture below) but massive resets to init X within a second,
  4. I then press that cancel button so massive X property window closes,
  5. when I reopen the massive property window again, magically, Massive X now reverts to the preset that was saved with the project originally... (i.e. un-resets itself...)

Not sure if this is helpful... I'll send this to Cakewalk support and NI support to see if there is anything special that causes this reset behavior for Massive X 

0.jpg.1b821d9f44de63d9d419178c13f8ed03.jpg

A.jpg.b7cc924d3b953b44ef6b541d92c76932.jpg

B.jpg.2925125c85f999263f8430cfa324dbbd.jpg