Bandlab vs Cakewalk sound quality ?

grant7

Hi Im new to DAWs so just learning -

Ive been using bandlab and now trying out cakewalk. But when I send my bandlab project to cakewalk for some basic editing I thought the default sounds where better (eg. the piano - bass better).

I was wondering if the sound quality of the virtual instruments in cakewalk is higher quality than bandlab ? 

Bandlab is easy to use and fast so thats attractive , also it seems to have way more sounds (+ the loop packs) than cakewalk ?  But if the quality is superior in cakewalk then I may need to take the time to use that instead ?

Thanks for your feedback !

Grant

There should not be much difference in the sound of any DAW. 

While there may not be many plug-ins included with Cakewalk, the program can access a nearly limitless supply of 3rd party plug-ins and samples both free and paid. Here are a couple of threads on this forum about free FX and synth plug-ins.

Projects in Cakewalk are limited only by the hardware running the program.

BandLab Assistant provides access to a lot of the BandLab loop content. This may be used in Cakewalk.

Given the ongoing improvements in integration between BandLab and Cakewalk,  a good argument may be made to learn both DAWs.

• Like 2

Cakewalk sound quality is professional level (i.e. the mixing engine, sample rates, file exports, etc.).

But you will need to supply most of your own sound content, as Cakewalk does not include much content by default, so the quality of that is up to you. Those links that scook provided are excellent resources for free plugins!

The bandlab daw is more of a prefab looper, as I recall. Cakewalk is a full function daw but only ships with a few instruments and fewer loops, if any (tho it used to have some good ones).

there shouldn’t be much difference between the sound of the daws themselves.

Do you know  you can drag&drop loops etc from the Bandlab Assistant to cakewalk.

But beware: Many Bandlab-Loops have silence at the beginning.

So you should zoom in left, cut the clip and apply the trimming before using them e.g. in the loop construction view.

Have fun 😉