How can I disable clips automatically trimming to MIDI content?

Timtrinox

Question

7 answers to this question

Actually, this has always been a thing. Cakewalk came late to the concept of MIDI 'clips, and their boundaries have always been defined by the starting and ending event times. The exception is a MIDI Groove clip which has a defined number of Beats in Clip that allows it to have empty space at the end. So one way of dealing with this is to convert the clip to a Groove Clip.

Their are ways of preserving empty space in a MIDI clip when doing certain operations, but the only surefire way is to preserve space no matter what you do is to insert dummy controller events ( I usually recommend Pedal Up, CC64=0) or silent, zero-velocity note events in the clip at the desired start and end times.

11 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Actually, this has always been a thing. Cakewalk came late to the concept of MIDI 'clips, and their boundaries have always been defined by the starting and ending event times. The exception is a MIDI Groove clip which has a defined number of Beats in Clip that allows it to have empty space at the end. So one way of dealing with this is to convert the clip to a Groove Clip.

Their are ways of preserving empty space in a MIDI clip when doing certain operations, but the only surefire way is to preserve space no matter what you do is to insert dummy controller events ( I usually recommend Pedal Up, CC64=0) or silent, zero-velocity note events in the clip at the desired start and end times.

What, no way. Then what was going on for the past year with my install, then? A bug?

Hmmm...  yeah. that may help in some cases. I leave it disabled because it has other side-effects I don't like, and some actual bugs, so I kind of forgot about it.  It's been so long since I thought about it, I'd have to go hunt up some threads on the old forum to remember all the issues. With all the work the Bakers have done in the last few years, some may have been fixed in the mean time.