Addictive Drums 2 causing Cakewalk to crash from exception

bde.Anders Madsen

Question

Recently I got Addictive Drums 2.

At first it worked fine.

I put drums on a project with it. I save the project, next day I open the same project again and Cakewalk crashes.
I try opening the project through the file system, and it works fine.
Next time I open it, same problem, I get another crash.

I get the same crash, an unhandled exception C0000005 which I have read can be a lot of things but is mainly related to memory access.

I tried analyzing the dump file, but I don't really find the info helpful, it refers to TT1 for some reason.
I also tried running Cakewalk as an admin.

I tried starting a new project and adding addictive drums as new instrument, crashes right away.

I also tried relocating the 32 bit and 64 bit because it might have an effect, still nothing.

I tried reinstalling addictive drums

I get a warning about compatibility mode if I move/remove the vst of addictive drums, but I don't use that

I uploaded the dumpfile output from an analyzer, I would upload the file itself but it's too big for the forum https://pastebin.com/kpJY4CQF
Any help appreciated :).

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, bde.Anders Madsen said:

The pastebin link in my top message holds some technical information.

I am using Asio4All if that helps. Is there any specific information you would like to know? Or somewhere I can get an output of information?

What audio interface are you using?  Does it come with native ASIO drivers.  If so, then use that and completely uninstall ASIO4ALL.

If you’re using onboard sound, still ditch ASIO4ALL and use WASAPI Shared driver mode.

• Like 1

I just inserted an Addictive Drums 2 SIT and it did not crash here.

I also opened a previous project that uses Addictive Drums 2 for its percussion.

This is on a machine configured as per my signature.

There must be something particular to your set up that is causing this.

Can you give us more information?

One common point of trouble I've found that causes this error is my RAM. The fix (for me) has worked every time.  

Power down computer. Unplug from wall. 

Hold power button down 30 seconds. 

Open computer case, remove RAM. Clean contacts on each stick with rubbing alcohol if dirty. 

Blow dust from RAM sockets.

Reinstall RAM. 

Dunno why this works but it does. 

10 hours ago, Promidi said:

I just inserted an Addictive Drums 2 SIT and it did not crash here.

I also opened a previous project that uses Addictive Drums 2 for its percussion.

This is on a machine configured as per my signature.

There must be something particular to your set up that is causing this.

Can you give us more information?

The pastebin link in my top message holds some technical information.

I am using Asio4All if that helps. Is there any specific information you would like to know? Or somewhere I can get an output of information?

6 hours ago, Devils said:

One common point of trouble I've found that causes this error is my RAM. The fix (for me) has worked every time.  

Power down computer. Unplug from wall. 

Hold power button down 30 seconds. 

Open computer case, remove RAM. Clean contacts on each stick with rubbing alcohol if dirty. 

Blow dust from RAM sockets.

Reinstall RAM. 

Dunno why this works but it does. 

I never had this problem with any other plugin, it's specific to addictive drums 2.

On 5/18/2021 at 12:27 PM, scook said:

If you are using 2021.04 make sure to run Update 1

Read the info regarding Error Detection in the link

That helped, I updated Cakewalk and set in the error reporting option mentioned in the link, then put it to 1. Let's hope it doesn't go back to crash mode, thank you!

On 5/18/2021 at 2:13 PM, Promidi said:

What audio interface are you using?  Does it come with native ASIO drivers.  If so, then use that and completely uninstall ASIO4ALL.

If you’re using onboard sound, still ditch ASIO4ALL and use WASAPI Shared driver mode.

It started crashing again, so I tried this, switched from ASIO4ALL to MME-32 Bit.

Now I have a latency problem though ._.

8 hours ago, bde.Anders Madsen said:

It started crashing again, so I tried this, switched from ASIO4ALL to MME-32 Bit.

Now I have a latency problem though ._.

Not surprising. MME-32 is what you use if absolutely nothing else (short of getting a proper audio interface) will work.  MME-32 gives the worst latency.

Hey, coming around here from Google because I've narrowed down that this is pretty much the same issue I'm having. A lot of times, even when the projects aren't very heavy, when using Addictive Drums 2 it will just cause Cakewalk to start crackling out of nowhere and then the whole thing will just crash. Sometimes the audio will dropout completely (though there's no error message like a dropout normally would show, and the transport continues to move, but the sound will be gone). Bypassing all FX for some reason will have the audio playback again but oftentimes that will also start to crackle out and then the program will crash entirely. Again, no error message, just...poot. Done, closed, no message. Just complete CTD. But the culprit in every case is Addictive Drums 2. I never had this happen with Sonar Platinum which I finally just switched over from in the summer of 2022. Worth noting I'm using my interface's (Clarett 2pre) integrated ASIO, so that's of zero help either. I'm not stupid.

I made a thread about this a while again, and Bandlab's useless support was just giving the basic cut and dry copy-paste answer about audio dropouts and how it's probably just that my top shelf computer "just isn't powerful enough" or some stupid crap like that, the same ***** answer you'd get when trying to Google anything like this because search engines are useless nowadays and SEO and AI has ruined the internet entirely. And they really want us to start paying for Cakewalk again? Come on now.

Edited by Tomo SZN

1 hour ago, Tomo SZN said:

Hey, coming around here from Google because I've narrowed down that this is pretty much the same issue I'm having. A lot of times, even when the projects aren't very heavy, when using Addictive Drums 2 it will just cause Cakewalk to start crackling out of nowhere and then the whole thing will just crash. Sometimes the audio will dropout completely (though there's no error message like a dropout normally would show, and the transport continues to move, but the sound will be gone). Bypassing all FX for some reason will have the audio playback again but oftentimes that will also start to crackle out and then the program will crash entirely. Again, no error message, just...poot. Done, closed, no message. Just complete CTD. But the culprit in every case is Addictive Drums 2. I never had this happen with Sonar Platinum which I finally just switched over from in the summer of 2022. Worth noting I'm using my interface's (Clarett 2pre) integrated ASIO, so that's of zero help either. I'm not stupid.

I made a thread about this a while again, and Bandlab's useless support was just giving the basic cut and dry copy-paste answer about audio dropouts and how it's probably just that my top shelf computer "just isn't powerful enough" or some stupid crap like that, the same ***** answer you'd get when trying to Google anything like this because search engines are useless nowadays and SEO and AI has ruined the internet entirely. And they really want us to start paying for Cakewalk again? Come on now.

Maybe you need a 7 year old computer from one of the lower shelves like I have....