driver bugs and crashes

Big Nick C and Naked Soul

Question

I downloaded cakewalk and spent hours editing , liking very much the new cakewalk. I uploaded my song to bandlab but upon listening to the track the first third of my song was just gone and what was left in it was distorted and unintelligible. I tried it in BL and CW both were unusable . Then  CW crashed and I quit for the night . Today when I returned to CW I see a warning that my I dont have the right driver installed. I use a Focusrite scarlet 2i2 and ASIO driver on a windows 7 PC with  GB of RAM dedicated only to music production. Ive never had any issues in other more complex DAWs.  How can it run fine with no driver issues and then not recognize the driver that had just worked flawlessly?  After some research and looking at comments I downloaded ASIO4all.  I started to attach the file for my song but since downloading Asio4all my song is nowhere to be found. The stems are there but no finished product. I am confused, disappointed and extremely frustrated especially after being so pleased initially with the improvements since first trying CW years ago. I want to be a CW user and advocate .HELP???!!!!

3 answers to this question

Many are using Scarlett 2i2's with Cakewalk, so it's likely that your issue is solvable.

Windows 7 is an older OS and not officially supported by Cakewalk by BandLab, but it usually works fine, there have been no Windows  7-specific issues since official support was dropped. None that I know of, anyway.

Taking a wild guess, it sounds as if your interface's audio driver somehow got corrupted. My suggestion is to go to Focusrite's site, download whatever the latest Windows 7-compatible driver is for the Scarlett and reinstall it. Then see how Cakewalk gets along with it. A Focusrite Scarlett should be able to use its ASIO driver, and the native ASIO is the one you should use with Cakewalk.

If you used the default installation choices, your project folders will be in C:\Cakewalk Projects. You say the "stems" are there, I presume you mean the raw audio files from tracking? Each project has its own folder in the following form C:\Cakewalk Projects\<project name>. At the top level of the folder there should be a file <project name>.CWP and a folder called Audio, which is where Cakewalk puts recorded and bounced audio files per project.

Is the .CWP file for your project missing? I mean if you browse to that folder in Windows Explorer, not in Cakewalk's Recent Projects list. A project may be missing from Cakewalk's Recent Projects list and still be perfectly intact as long as the .CWP file is retrievable.

On the Focusrite Beta drivers page there is a Beta driver for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.  The latest BETA driver is version is 4.87.4

In the notes for this version, Cakewalk by Bandlab is specifically mentioned:

“Fixed an issue that could cause a crash in Cakewalk by Bandlab”

Maybe give these a go

This is at http://beta.focusrite.com/    (CTRL + F  > "Focusrite USB2 Drivers 4.87.4"   without quotes)