Cherry Audio PS-20 Polyphonic Synthesizer just announced.

cclarry

2 hours ago, TheSteven said:

At the end of the video...
image.thumb.png.bf80b29f5ec06d14d016313016a8df73.png

guess I should actually try using my Korg plugins...

I don't have the full collection and the PS-20 is the one that's missing, so that won't get me off the hook.

The Korg collection MonoPoly is the one that gets used here, I love it.

Just a footnote: My PC is an older model, so CPU usage can be an issue. I tried the PS-20 demo (standalone) and it uses a much higher percentage of my CPU power than I can afford. Not sure if its caused by the random noise generator or the PS-20's sound engine. Turning off the FX [bottom row] seems to help slightly, but the CPU usage is sufficient to cause near constant audio gargling on some patches (not not all).**

Not knocking the PS-20 at all.  It brings back fond memories of having played with a version of the original in a music store. With the discount based on having the -20 VM modules, it is very tempting, though. 

I only mention this to recommend trying the demo and monitoring CPU for others who might have older systems or who might have limited CPU power.

**Some details: On my system some 3-note chords (factory presets) use anywhere from 14% of my CPU power up to 48% (PS-20 standalone demo standalone). The sounding of random noises which a preset is playing does not seem to increase that.   

8 hours ago, TheSteven said:

At the end of the video...
image.thumb.png.bf80b29f5ec06d14d016313016a8df73.png

guess I should actually try using my Korg plugins...

This was part of my thoughts when I've tried the PS-20. It's easy to be triggered by affordable plugins, "insta-buy" thing. But when you take the time to think about it, yeah if you already have the Korg plugin version, except for the sequencer and the more readable GUI,  just stick with the Korg. It has less but maybe more useful presets, probably partly thanks to the extra studio FX's you don't get with the PS-20 (only delay and reverb). 

Thanks for watching 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, User 905133 said:

Just a footnote: My PC is an older model, so CPU usage can be an issue. I tried the PS-20 demo (standalone) and it uses a much higher percentage of my CPU power than I can afford. Not sure if its caused by the random noise generator or the PS-20's sound engine. Turning off the FX [bottom row] seems to help slightly, but the CPU usage is sufficient to cause near constant audio gargling on some patches (not not all).**

Not knocking the PS-20 at all.  It brings back fond memories of having played with a version of the original in a music store. With the discount based on having the -20 VM modules, it is very tempting, though. 

I only mention this to recommend trying the demo and monitoring CPU for others who might have older systems or who might have limited CPU power.

**Some details: On my system some 3-note chords (factory presets) use anywhere from 14% of my CPU power up to 48% (PS-20 standalone demo standalone). The sounding of random noises which a preset is playing does not seem to increase that.   

TBH in other Cherry Audio VSTis I found similar especially when I had a mechanical drive in my laptop ( recently replaced with 2TB Samsung EVO 780 SSD, so not a prob much anymore ). The main reason for it was the number of VOICES used in the preset/sound:

238286673_PS-20voices.jpg.a0609ffda2a0a06628c54c5b7ca3d3ce.jpg

EG drop that from 8 to 2 and see how you get on. Yes might affect the sound, but in some cases not too dramatically

• Like 1

On 5/17/2021 at 4:47 PM, aidan o driscoll said:

TBH in other Cherry Audio VSTis I found similar especially when I had a mechanical drive in my laptop ( recently replaced with 2TB Samsung EVO 780 SSD, so not a prob much anymore ). The main reason for it was the number of VOICES used in the preset/sound:

EG drop that from 8 to 2 and see how you get on. Yes might affect the sound, but in some cases not too dramatically

Thanks for the reminder to drop the number of voices.  I do that on one of my favorite DCO-106 patches (from 12 to 8 voices).  Of course, the CPU usage on the PS-20 is a multiple of what I get with the DCO-106. But its worth a try.

Edited by User 905133