Acknowledge Cakewalk as a pro DAW

sadicus

Well it's certainly "pro" enough for me! 

I gave up on Cakewalk after the Gibson thing because I was a so-called "Lifetime Member" with SPLAT.  I was so ticked I could have spit nails.

4 years later, it doesn't seem so bad and honestly, I miss using SONAR so here I am.  Again.

Edited by Social Exodus
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Welcome back! BandLab volunteered to fulfil the lifetime membership responsibility so there was effectively no change for lifetime members :)

It's nice to see you're still here Noel.  And I see Craig A. still is here too.

I also have a few other Cakewalk assets, like Rapture Pro, Concrete Limiter and the other Pro Channel goodies.

Good to be back!

11 hours ago, bitman said:

I no longer care if it's considered Pro or Schmo.

It's a multi track studio in a box in my house whenever I want one.

Yay.

^^^ This.

Beyond my wildest dreams of what I thought I would ever have at my disposal when I started out and it's not  the lack of "pro" status that prevents me from being a super-rich, global megastar, recording artist. That's entirely the fault of the barely talented idiot sitting in front of it.😀

• Like 3

I remember back in the day when I was in high school and the only kid in a 50 mile radius who wanted to have my own recording capabilities for my band.  I was super broke so I would go meet some shady characters in an unlit ally who would sell me cracked recording software for $20....and that was a lot to me, especially in 2002.  

Well, that was how I was introduced to Cakewalk and once I got my first job the following year, I spent my entire paycheck buying it!  

I have many commercial releases by bands I recorded, including my own, and a handful of the musicians would drive hours to come record with me using SONAR.  A few of them I became great friends with, started many recording projects as well as using them for tour support,  they all  joined major league top 40 bands doing the world over and continue to do so.  

Now Cakewalk is free...and nothing has changed.  Pro is the shortening of "Professional"  which means "utilized to make money with".  I made more than money so CHECK MARK next to the "obtain pro DAW" line on my studio essentials checklist.

On 5/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, Social Exodus said:

It's nice to see you're still here Noel.  And I see Craig A. still is here too.

I also have a few other Cakewalk assets, like Rapture Pro, Concrete Limiter and the other Pro Channel goodies.

Nothing's changed for me...I've been using Sonar/Cakewalk, Studio One, and Ableton Live since their respective initial 1.0 versions.  Rapture Pro is tied with Kontakt for being my most-used virtual instrument, the Concrete Limiter has some kind of mojo that's not in any other limiter I've used, etc.

Using three DAWs has made me proficient at transferring files back and forth, so I can use each program for what it does best. I have to say that the current Cakewalk incarnation has achieved what a lot of us had hoped would happen. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't move from Sonar to Cakewalk, especially since you can still hold on to your Sonar goodies.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Does anyone on the planet read release notes? :)

Most times anymore I get notification through CbB when I run it. Since just before it became not cool to copy and rename folders, I have not spent as much time on the forum. I was unaware of the fact things had changed. Not trying to make excuses, but I find myself logging in here when I run into issues, and not so much other times. I'll make to effort to be visiting a bit more often...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

Does anyone on the planet read release notes? :)

there were some but they died off. now, it's just easier to wait hours or days frantically waiting for an answer from a posting (typically titled as "HELP! I NEED TO MAKE 473 TRACKS ON MY LAPTOP WORK BY TOMORROW??!!!") on a web forum rather than look to see if it was in the manual (also online, or offline for the paranoid) and thus answerable in minutes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I never hear commercial tracks played where they announce the DAW that was used; however, I have heard ones where they made a point that no pitch-editing software was used.

Bottom line, if something works for you then use it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

I love reading release notes... it's like Christmas (or equivalent). I wish I could read release notes every day! 🤓

It seems you forget trouble with installation and new bugs in new releases! 😆

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

And no other DAW has such issues ?
I used to really love this forum, but recently......... am i the only one without major issues ?

J

Sorry, I don't want to spoil your loved forum! 😟

But my comment has not been targeted to CW, honestly!

I think generally new releases of daws (any daw!), plugins, operating systems (especially!), ... cause often trouble with installation and new bugs! At least this is my perception.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, marled said:

It seems you forget trouble with installation and new bugs in new releases! 😆

Hehe, actually I don't! I always tend to lag at least 1-2 releases behind, just for that reason... I let other be the guinea pigs, so I can focus on making music with as few interruptions as possible. :)

I also agree with your point that this new paradigm of releasing software very often can be a bit troublesome (this is about software and apps in general, not just Cakewalk). Sure, bugs are fixed more often but new bugs (along with new features) are also introduced very often. For music software specifically and an interrupt-free studio, this constant updating and potential bug-hunting is not really a good thing.

But I love the Cakewalk updates and features we get and mainly... I love reading release notes! :D

Edited by GreenLight
  • Like 1

Maybe I should post this in the Instruments/Effects zone, but it was this thread that initially had our discussion  regarding the professional/public knowledge of the Cakewalk by Bandlab DAW.

So I just signed out of the Kurzweil user site where the owner of the site posted that he and another have created a new plugin for Kurzweil users for older Kurzweil synths and effects (Kurzweil K-series instruments, including K2000, K2500, K2600, K2661 and KSP8).  On this page they mention having tested their software in Cakewalk (the only DAW mentioned) and it works.

https://godlike.com.au/index.php?id=358

I'd also like to mention that I have noted over the decades that there are a few users on this Kurzweil  site (https://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php) who have also stated they are Cakewalk users.

Edited by Toddskins
  • Like 1