Clips move after unfreezing

lmu2002

I just noticed an annoying bug. I have a project with two similar (L/R) guitar tracks which I have freezed to free cpu muscle. Now, when I unfreeze them the other track is two bars ahead. All clips on that track. I then need to slide the clips forward.

Anyone else having this behaviour?

Ok. Thanks! I changed the tracks 'automation time base' to absolute and it solved the issue. There is no tempo changes in the project but some automation.

What's the difference between musical and absolute in general?

Musical time hold clips on their measure. So if a clip starts on beat one of measure 3, it will no matter what you do to tempo.

If it starts at 2 minutes in, then you cut the temp to half time, it would start at 4 minutes in.

Some purple use temp for tempo sync fx but not for recording or midi. This is a different thing. You may want to add tempo changes between your songs. You wouldn't want new tempos to move clips.

Helpful?

Ok. Makes sense. But where does one find musical/absolute time adjustments for a track other than the mentioned 'automation time base'. I couldn't find any.

I hardly ever change tempo mid-song, especially after recordings are done. But it's good to know how the clips behave if I did.

On 5/15/2021 at 11:22 AM, lmu2002 said:

Ok. Makes sense. But where does one find musical/absolute time adjustments for a track other than the mentioned 'automation time base'. I couldn't find any.

I hardly ever change tempo mid-song, especially after recordings are done. But it's good to know how the clips behave if I did.

It's in the clip properties within the inspector:

image.png.5485c2f11fb7824d7cf1ce4c7536b4b0.png

On 5/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, lmu2002 said:

I just noticed an annoying bug. I have a project with two similar (L/R) guitar tracks which I have freezed to free cpu muscle. Now, when I unfreeze them the other track is two bars ahead. All clips on that track. I then need to slide the clips forward.

Anyone else having this behaviour?

Did you move the clip when it was in a frozen state?

When you freeze something, it basically creates a brand new clip.  When you unfreeze, the old clip is put back exactly as it was, and in its original position.

If you definitely didn't move the clip when it was frozen, please save your project as a Cakewalk bundle file (we need the audio), and send it to @Jonathan Sasor.

Freeze basically saves a snapshot of the clips state and then renders the clips to audio.

On unfreeze it restores the original location of the clips. I don't think it has anything to do with moving the frozen audio dive it should still restore the clips if you unfreeze.

If you send a project we can investigate

On 5/18/2021 at 7:53 PM, msmcleod said:

Did you move the clip when it was in a frozen state?

When you freeze something, it basically creates a brand new clip.  When you unfreeze, the old clip is put back exactly as it was, and in its original position.

If you definitely didn't move the clip when it was frozen, please save your project as a Cakewalk bundle file (we need the audio), and send it to @Jonathan Sasor.

I sent a message to Jonathan Sasor. I'm still waiting for reply. I have the bundle file in google drive for sharing.

2 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

I sent a message to Jonathan Sasor. I'm still waiting for reply. I have the bundle file in google drive for sharing.

Thanks for that - could you PM me the link too, just in case I get a chance to look at it over the weekend.

49 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Thanks for that - could you PM me the link too, just in case I get a chance to look at it over the weekend.

Hi Mark, I tried to pm you but the message won't move: 'msmcleod cannot receive messages.'

12 minutes ago, lmu2002 said:

Hi Mark, I tried to pm you but the message won't move: 'msmcleod cannot receive messages.'

Sorry about that - looks like my inbox was full! I've cleared it out now... can you try again?

Thanks.