PRV BUG: Ctrl-scroll followed by note select = extend selection: BAD

Colin Nicholls

This has been driving me crazy but finally I screen-captured it. It is happening to me a LOT but whenever I tried to reproduce it, it wouldn't happen. It comes and goes. A real "heisenbug".

I am working in the PRV, frequently scrolling back and forth in the time line, using Ctrl-Mousewheel. I select notes with a normal mouse click or click-drag to move them.

If I have just scrolled to the right or left using Ctrl-Scroll, then there is a good chance that when I select the next note, instead of clearing the current selection and selecting the sole new note, Cakewalk will keep the previous note selected (even if it has scrolled out of view) and extend the selection to INCLUDE the new note. It is acting like the CTRL key is depressed, even though it is not.

IF I DON'T NOTICE the super-long selection bar in the Ruler, I can EASILY move the previously adjusted note, along with the current one, thus messing up my edits.

Here's the GIF:

CW_PRV_Sticky_Select.gif

What you see:

1. First, I demonstrate what a single mouse click to select a new note SHOULD do - it selects the new note, clearing the previous selection.
  2. Then, I attempt to Ctrl-Scroll and select a third note. The PRV behaves and only the new note is selected.
  3. Then, I scroll again using Ctrl-Scroll and select a forth note. THIS TIME IT HAPPENS - see the bar in the Ruler. The previously selected note is included in the new selection! Imagine it is off-screen to the right and I move the note, unknowingly moving the off-screen note as well.

Observe that, if the CTRL key were depressed, the mouse cursor should show a little (+) icon indicating it is extending the selection. It does NOT show this because it should NOT be extending the selection.

Forgive me, @msmcleod, for tagging you but I want to make sure you see this.

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Colin Nicholls - I was hoping that putting a final check that the ctrl key is down just before it adds the note to the selection would solve this.... but the code is already doing this.

So I don't know what to suggest.  I can't repro this.

Maybe a sticky CTRL key?

I'm pretty sure it isn't a sticky control key because if it were, Cakewalk would indicate this with the [+] tag on the mouse cursor right when I click on the target note event. But it doesn't.

Thanks for checking the code, I appreciate this.

@msmcleod, forgive me for overloading this post but while we're on the subject of PRV and Ctrl-Scroll behavior....

Observe: Often (but not always) when I scroll and then select a note in the middle of the note duration, and try to move, the note events move spontaneously to the right under the held-down mouse, almost as if to get the start of the note event under the mouse pointer.

This capture shows selecting, moving, scrolling, repeat - until suddenly the selected notes jump to the right under the held-down mouse:

CW_PRV_Offset_Move.gif

I know, hardly a show-stopper, but very annoying.